Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Headphones and iPhone/Laptop

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Beet, Apr 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beet

Beet Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am a college student and I listen to music on the go with my iPhone everyday. I also spend a great deal of time listening to music on my laptop. I've used stock Apple earbuds and other cheap earbuds all my life. I actually like the ones I have, but considering how much music I listen to, I've been thinking of upgrading to the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones. Would it be worth it to buy nice headphones for digital music on my phone and laptop? I know people on this forum get a bit arrogant about listening to digital music, so I'd like to hear what people think. Would I be wasting my money, and should I stick with the stock Apple earbuds? Or would it be a good idea to upgrade?

2. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

I have the exact same headphones that I listen to digital files at work and they are a great upgrade. Way better than apple earbuds. I also have a Schiit Fulla dac/amp - if you want to take it a little further.

Billy Infinity and Galley like this.
  3. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

It's always a good idea to upgrade; go for it :righton:

Those headphones have a sensitivity of 99dB and an impedance of 38 ohms. They are okay for a portable device?

4. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

The ATH-M50x are really good headphones for under $150. If your budget is tight, I'd suggest the Status Audio CB-1s. They're under $100 and provide great sound quality as well.

5. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I have the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and they have been very nice for quite awhile for me. For a closed back headphone in the $150 price point they're a lot better than I expected. Plus they're comfortable. This is the absolute most important aspect - if it's not comfortable then it doesn't matter how good they actually sound. And what is comfortable for me may not be for you. I've tried several headphones that just don't work for me - the over ear headphones like the AT and the Senn HD 600s are good but the ones that sit on the ear for me are all terribly uncomfortable. Comfort First, Second, and Third!

Rolltide likes this.
  6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Do you have a Guitar Center nearby or other retailer that would have the Autdio-Technica M50x? Best Buy also may carry the M50x, but not all locations will have them. The only way to know if you'll like them better than the Apple earbuds is to go try them. Bring your iPhone and your laptop to use a a source so you can know if the M50x will sound good to you with the sources you will be using. Personally, I'd prefer the M50x over the Apple earbuds from a phone or laptop. The M50x is a good closed headphone and an iPhone or laptop should drive it fine and make it loud enough and sound good enough.

TerryB and eddiel like this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I've used them with my ipod classic, laptop and Google phone and there's no issues in that regard.

I agree with @Ham Sandwich find a location that has them so you can try them. Even if you can only try them on it's worth it.

8. Beet

Beet Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have glasses, would that be a problem with these headphones?

9. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Highly recommended headphones. I've had them for a couple of years and still enjoy them a lot.

Billy Infinity, Beet and Twinsfan007 like this.
  10. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

I have glasses too. Not a problem.

Billy Infinity, Beet and Twinsfan007 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.