Audio Technica LP120 Tracking Force

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockdave73, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockdave73

rockdave73 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I am new to all this so bear with me. Last week I got Audio Technica LP120 and I'm really happy with it.
    I set the tracking force at the recommended minimum of 1.5g at first but I found out the vocal sound improved when I increased to the maximum of 2.5g.
    The only trouble is, I've noticed a couple of skips on albums that didn't usually skip on my cheaper record player.
    I just wondered what tracking force you guys use and if 2.5g is supposed to be the maximum then why does the counterweight have markings for much heavier tracking ?.
    Cheers, Dave.

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Not familiar with this model if recommended tracking force is 1.5 to 2.5 then generally 2 grammes would be optimum.
    Other parameters
    such as vta/sra come into play.
    Viewing from side with arm in playing position, top of headshell/ arm tube should be parallel to record.
    How are you verifying tracking force?
    A trst record would help

3. rockdave73

I've never done it before but everything looks fine. Thanks for answering. :)

4. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I have that turntable. I've set mine at 2.3, and like you, I think it's made a positive difference in sound quality. Make sure the anti-skate is set to match. Another thing, which has "seemed" to get rid of skips, is keeping the dust cover in the "up" position, or completely off when playing records. That will also improve the sound a bit. Hope that helps.

5. rockdave73

Ok thank you for the feedback, I will give that a try. It's a funny thing getting back into vinyl, some old records sound great and some sound very tinny.

6. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

What cart are you using? The paperwork with the cartridge tells you the best tracking force to use, and they vary quite a bit.

7. rockdave73

It's supposed to be 1.5g to 2.5g. Last night it jumped on a brand new Beatles record so i took the counterweight off and started again from scratch. I am now tracking at 2.5g but it now plays EVERYTHING ! :)

8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

2.5 might be a bit much. On mine I have it set right at 2.0 with the factory AT95E cartridge (the green one). If you start to get skating or skips I would try adjusting the anti-skate a bit. To improve your sound even more buy a cork platter mat and dump the felt one that came with it (it attracts dust anyway). Here is mine with the cork mat which I found on Amazon for less than 10 bucks:

[​IMG]

I always leave the dust cover ON when playing records. Don't know why, that is just what I have always done and it never affects the sound as far as I can tell. Here it is with the cover closed playing Hemispheres... No skips, just awesome music.

[​IMG]

ex_mixer likes this.
  9. thommo

thommo Senior Member

If this is a totally dopey question, tell me so, but you did do the whole "letting the arm float, then turning the indicator wheel to 0, and then dialling in the downforce to 2.5" thing, didn't you?

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  10. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Fast Forward to 2:29 minutes (and the stylus he is using is no longer used and I think that one tracks around 3 grams or even heavier but the technique he uses is what you want to do).

ex_mixer and thommo like this.
  11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Nothing wrong with tracking at the maximum recommended tracking force if that yields better sound and prevents skipping and IGD. And it won't wear your records out either. Been tracking at max force like forever without a problem.

OcdMan likes this.
  12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

On the other hand, tracking with too low a force increases record wear.

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Totally true as the stylus bounces wildly inside the groove which produces 1000 times more wear than max recommended tracking force. People really get paranoid about tracking too heavy.

14. rockdave73

Yes I have done all that guys , thanks. I have the AT95E stylus. So if I track at 3g , it won't do any harm ?. If I was to be really picky , some records have slightly distorted vocals, but that could just be the age of the records ?.
    I did a test last night with Black Sabbath's Heaven & Hell. The cd sounded clear and crisp but slightly too tinny , whereas the vinyl had a few crackles but trumps the cd in bottom end and drum sounds.

15. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

on the at95e, I yielded best results at 2.2g tracking force, and had the antiskate just over that. this was for the break in period. It is now broken in and I readjusted two days ago to 1.8g and it sounds great. Its all personal opinion but optimum for this cart is right around 2g. if I remember correctly it is a fairly low compliance cart so no harm done. (I was adjusting a friends cart that I had sold to them awhile ago. same turntable setup of course)

16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Did you check to make sure the cart is aligned properly as well? It may be off a bit from the factory.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  17. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

technics overhang gauge helps aswell*

18. I've had two different versions of the AT-LP120 and the first thing I did was to s-can the cartridges which came with them. The carts are better than those used on other cheap-o turntables like the Ions and the Crosleys, but whether The ATP-2 or AT95E is used, these aren't the best quality carts, even for an entry-level turntable.
    As far as the tracking force is concerned, go by the cart manufacturer's recommendations.
    Skipping? Occasionally I've experienced what seems like the anti-skate mechanism hanging up and then suddenly releasing.
    Why does the counterweight have higher markings? Simple, different cartridges have different tracking force recommendations. For example, a Pickering NP//AC has a tracking force range of 3-5 grams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.