Audiophile High-End Audio show in Newport Beach: T.H.E. Show - Newport 2016, are you going?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DPM, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Such a cheerful outlook.

2. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Yes, I know, bad post on my part. On a lighter note, wish I was going to be there, I could talk your ear off about how much I love this Lounge preamp I have. Perhaps you're already familiar with it? ;)

3. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I know they have to do it that way because simple audio gear won't draw a big enough crowd. Doesn't mean I have to appreciate it personally.

Hopefully, the car show will be separate.

4. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

have never been but am seriously considering it - is there actual music for sale? Like CDs and hi-res, multi-channel discs?

~dm

5. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Yes, last year Music Direct was doing (I think) 4 for $80 on MoFi SACDs. Elusive Disc was there too as well as a few others.

hi_watt and duneman like this.
  6. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Great! Just what I was hoping for. Elusive is on the list this year but so far not Music Direct.

7. vinylguy4

vinylguy4 Forum Resident

Yes, will be going on Friday. First to the record sellers, then upstairs to the equipment rooms.

8. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I'm definitely hitting up the vendors again this year. Not going to buy anything between now and then (that's what I told my wife, anyways).

duneman and hi_watt like this.
  9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Right, because a lot of audio folks might think Newport as in jazz festival. But this one is in sunny Cali (where actually it is raining right now, despite the old Albert Hammond song) and I'm looking forward to it. Going to try and get there earlier this year.

Keep coming with the nearby food suggestions people!

Guess I should load some listening tracks in lossless on an iPod or something. OR burn a disc on the burner I got and haven't tested yet...

10. Not one intoxicated or stogie puffing person was seen at or near my booth last year. Hang near me and you will likely be spared from interfacing with such fray.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  11. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Yes, that's the first thing I thought of when I read the OP, however that's probably because the Newport Folk Festival and the Newport Jazz Festival (both held in Newport Rhode Island on consecutive weekends) are local to me, less than a half hour drive. To be honest, I've never gone, the thought of attending six days of anything at an outdoor venue at my age no longer appeals to me. :(

Newport Folk 2016 Lineup »
    Newport Jazz Festival | July 29, 30 & 31, 2016 »

12. Yep. Got my room reservations about a week ago. Looking forward to the show as always. Hopefully meet up with old friends as well as seeing and hearing lots of new gear. Always prowl through the music vendors fairly early.

Not looking forward to "checking in" for the show. There has to be a better way to get in, especially if you pre order your tickets. I think we waited about an hour in line last year.

Let us print out our tickets at home and pick up a neck strap to put them in when we come in.

Not that tough to do.

13. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I plan to go, probably on Saturday, and hope that the cigar selection is legit.

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

When was the last time you could smoke inside a public building in California? 1987?

LeeS likes this.
  15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Or you do as I have done each time I have gone; just ignore the check-in lines and go to the rooms. Come back and officially check-in at your leisure when the lines are gone.

16. Sounds like that might work. I also have a bunch of left over ID Lanyards from various events through the years. I could probably bring a couple of different ones and at least "blend" for a bit. :D

Last year, I intentionally got there a bit late thinking the lines would be shorter. If they were, I'd hate to think how bad they were to start.

17. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

FWIW nobody at the show has ever appeared to care about whether or not I have a lanyard and badge.

morinix and hi_watt like this.
  18. :shh:

19. DPM

DPM Senior Member Thread Starter

Less-than-a-month-to-go-Bump

Aurender seems to be getting good press regarding their servers lately. I'll definitely be checking them out. Having a place (that is not a computer) to store my 24 bit vinyl transfers would be nice.

Also, though I'm not in the market for speakers, I want to hear the new ELAC three-way monitors designed by Andrew Jones.

On the music front, I hope the SACD of Vanessa Fernandez's new release is available. Her last disk was fine. Of course, I'll be hitting the used vinyl bins too.

hi_watt likes this.
  20. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I'll be there on Saturday.

What secret handshake or greeting should we all use to ID ourselves as being part of the "Hoffman Continuum"?
    :D

21. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Wear a little badge saying No Banner Ads.

toddrhodes likes this.
  22. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Btw, I saw the exhibitior list got updated with a few more brands. I was worried I didn't see Zu on there and now it is. The list looked a lot longer than when this thread first popped up.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Looks like a nice relaxing day

24. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Can't wait! :wiggle:

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'd go, but I kinda got spoiled by the audio shows in Bangkok.

[​IMG]

Richard Austen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.