Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yikes, I have a few of their titles on my Wish List, but I've yet to buy any. I need to get around to it sometime.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

FIRE! - The Hands

Andreas Werliin – Drums, Percussion, Effects
    Johan Berthling – Electric Bass, Double Bass
    Mats Gustafsson – Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Bass Saxophone, Electronics

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

There could be some debate about whether this is avant garde or not, but for me it belongs here.

This is a little bit special because there aren't many albums exclusively played on the Trautonium.

Trautonium - Wikipedia

The music made is surprisingly conventional in truth. The Trautonium sounds like a mix of church organ - it always seems to have tons of reverb on every note - and early synthesizers. The album clocks in at 70 minutes, and you've really got to be in the mood to get all the way through in one sitting, since there's not a lot of variation.

On the other hand I have a whole collection of weird electronic music, some which stand on their own, and others like the Trautonium which are more interesting academically than they are musically. Not knocking it, just saying.

This is a CD package, with jewelcase with slipcase. The oversized booklet fits in the slipcase and includes almost 30 pages of notes and illustrations in English, so it's a nice package overall.

Oskar Sala probably needs no introduction to the people in this thread.

You know, thinking about it, this album has a similar feel to say, Tomita.....

4. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Richard Pinhas and Merzbow - Rhizome.

[​IMG]

5. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

6. Tokyo Ghost

Pauline Oliveros and Randy Raine Reusch - In The Shadow Of The Phoenix.

[​IMG]

Mr. H, 93curr and Beamish13 like this.
  7. Tokyo Ghost

KK Null and Jim O'Rourke - A New Kind Of Water.

[​IMG]

jiffypopinski, 93curr and Beamish13 like this.
  8. Tokyo Ghost

Fiona Brice - Postcards From.

[​IMG]

Beamish13 likes this.
  9. Tokyo Ghost

Burnt Friedman and Jaki Liebezeit - Secret Rhythms 1.

[​IMG]

10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Interesting this one, in that these are new recordings of various works by Cage. From the cover art you'd think it was a compilation of old recordings, perhaps with Cage as a performer. Not so.

As such, it's good, and a nice collection to have. However, there are older sets you might want first.

93curr likes this.
  11. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

Vibracathedral Orchestra - Tuning to the Rooster (Important Records, 2004)

[​IMG]

Haven't dug this one out for a while. At times sounds like 'Venus in Furs' stripped down and drawn out into a nice long drone folk dirge. Great stuff, shame about the terrible album art (IMO) but yeah.

Vaughan likes this.
  12. Tokyo Ghost

David Torn - Prezens.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jiffypopinski, Nycademon and Vaughan like this.
  13. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Ghédalia Tazartès ‎- "Les Danseurs De La Pluie"

[​IMG]

A comprehensive 4CD anthology of Ghédalia Tazartès recordings, including his first four albums Diasporas (1979), Transports (1980), Une éclipse totale de soleil (1984) and Tazartès (1987), plus a handful of bonus tracks recorded between 1977 and 2005.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERmDD0-UepI

zphage, 93curr and Vaughan like this.
  14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Most annoying box set ever. I ordered this some time ago, and received what I think are the bonus tracks (1 CD). I asked about it, and Amazon said they would send another out. I got ANOTHER copy of the bonus tracks. I eventually gave up. :D

You have it, so I'm officially jealous.

While I'm in here, I wanted to alert you all to a forthcoming reissue CD which looks amazing:

[​IMG]

This was originall a single CD release, and a fantastic one at that. But now it's 3-CDs!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GJ35...colid=H5HI4K4AGOIC&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I am so getting this!!!

StarThrower62, 93curr and jay.dee like this.
  15. Tokyo Ghost

Fennesz - Endless Summer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mr.datsun, 93curr and johnnypaddock like this.
  16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I've only heard more recent albums by him. I had no idea he had dome something so glitchy. His stuff is mostly ambient now days.

17. Tokyo Ghost

Yeah, his sound has evolved over the years. A lot of the original 'glitch' artists have now moved on to other styles of music. I guess they took things as far as they could go. There comes a point where a genre can't really progress any further.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Actually, not avant garde - minimalist. 7 Bassoons, playing pulses, weaving in and out for almost 60 minutes. It's one you put on at low volume while doing other things, and it works its way into whatever you're doing.

Moebius and JMAC like this.
  20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Probably not as avant garde as many here would like, but it's not traditional classical either. The main track is just about 30 minutes and uses texts from Coleridge, Shakespear, and Melville to weave a tale of seamanship written for the 200th centenary of Admiral Nelson. The first movement is pretty standard stuff, bu thenit breaks into an awesome guitar solo. The second movement has three vocalists singing a few lines out of sync, gradually slowing down and then speeding back up.

The other tracks are good to, and fit together nicely. Good tio have Pierced here, the only other place I've seen that is on a Naxos disc.

21. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    2002 - Chris Burn's Ensemble
    Musica Genera MG006

Chris Burn: piano
    John Butcher: tenor or soprano saxophone
    Matchew Hutchinson: synth
    Rhodri Davies: harph
    Nikos Veliotis: cello
    Xavier Charles: clarinet

jay.dee likes this.
  22. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Question: there was an album posted on this thread a while back (years ago?) that was a recording of percussion played in caves or something like that? Does anyone know what I’m remembering? I tried going back a ways but couldn’t find it. Monochrome cover art I think.

What was it?

23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

zphage and 93curr like this.
  24. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident