Avril Lavigne's debut album turns 15 today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SixOClockBoos, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie Thread Starter

Before the day is done, I want to commemorate the 15th anniversary of Avril Lavigne's Let Go album. The album was released on June 4th, 2002 and it propelled Lavigne into the music business thanks to the wide success of the album. Three of the four singles were top ten hits and the album and singles won various amounts of awards (no Grammy's unfortunately). I loved it when it came out, although I was only four years old.

Does anybody remember this album?

2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Such a shame she never got to release another LP in her lifetime…

The world is now convinced that Avril Lavigne is dead

Remember the album well. 'Complicated' was one of those summer things that was on the radio in the car a lot (see also: Sum 41, and Alien Ant Farm, though I was sure they came out the same year, but apparently not), but never my thing. Fond memories, though.

andrewskyDE, Davidmk5, Paully and 3 others like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Always had a gigantic crush on her.

Only song I ever liked us the beautiful "I'm With You".

4. jujuhounds

jujuhounds Forum Resident

Love this. I remember seeing her on MTV's TRL in '02. Sk8r Boi is still my favorite song on this album.

5. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

I still listen to the first two albums regularly. Good sound quality on the discs even if not the most dynamic. Both are crying out for a Vinyl release though.

Still have a huge crush on her too!

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  6. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

I think my daughter had this album when she was about 9. 'I'm With You' was the only song I liked too.

7. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I liked her cover of Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

Mike_with_G1042 likes this.
  8. Django

Django Forum Resident

Am I the only one who finds "I'm with you" quiet emotional?

Great song.

DirkGentlyUK likes this.
  9. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

For a brief while when I was in 5th grade, Lavigne was all the rage. Everybody at school liked her music, personally I enjoyed Losing Grip and I'm with You the most. The Sk8er Boi video was in heavy rotation on TV and it was the earliest I recall girls also digging rock music. She also came across as both pretty and cool which was also a bit unusual to us very young casual music fans at that point in time. Plus there was a girl in my class who looked like her an awful lot and she couldn't escape being commented on that for a few months.

Some of the skate punk has aged well, I think. Certainly still a fun listen... Together with blink-182, Sum 41 and Alien Ant Farm you find that, like it or not, some of it is actually quite enjoyable still.

15 years - wow! The death hoax thing is pretty weird though.

10. SixOClockBoos

Same with the whole crush thing. I really like Complicated, Sk8er Boi and I'm With You. All were consecutive top ten hits!

11. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

Me too. It's a powerful song. Loved the video too. Girls got talent, even if a terrible taste in men! :)

12. John54

John54 Senior Member

Listening to I'm With You right now. First time for everything. Not bad.

The only thing I've heard that I liked was Girlfriend. But I haven't been looking particularly hard.

Got the crush thing down pat too ... !

DirkGentlyUK likes this.
  13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Remember Dual Discs? I've got Under My Skin on one of those.

14. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Unfortunately. I have a sealed copy of her very rare US cd single of Complicated. At that time the record companies were releasing some singles in only a few markets as a way of trying to determine if cd single sales were cannibalizing full length cd sales.

And reminiscent of a raccoon.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    DHamilton, luckyno13 and Jacob29 like this.
  15. willmatic

willmatic Forum Resident

Ive loved pretty much everything she's done. Did not love when she referred to Bono as "Bow No." Kind of makes me think her music and image was constructed by a lot of different people other than herself, then again how naive of me if I believed the opposite? I digress, if it sounds good, it sounds good.

DirkGentlyUK likes this.
  16. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Loved the album when it came out , still do , followed her all the way through saw her live a bunch , i thought the last two albums were kinda clunkers , few good songs , but not up to par ............. waiting on the a new one :)

17. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

:laugh::laugh:

18. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I remember it coming out, I bought it and almost all the singles. I have I'm with you, complicated, 2 different skater boi. Great album. Would love a vinyl issue

19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

It has some good songs on it. I like it.

20. SixOClockBoos

Does anybody here have the jukebox singles of Complicated and I'm With You. The flip side of Complicated is an alternative mix released in a singles/remix boxset while Sk8er Boi is on the flip of I'm With You. I had to purchase these when I first heard about them a few weeks back.

21. SixOClockBoos

They should've issued the album on vinyl for it's 15th. The only songs I have on wax from this album are two jukebox singles that I mentioned in my last post. Under My Skin had a very limited vinyl release with a bonus 7" single in the UK though.

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  22. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I seen the jukebox singles when they came out but I never got them, I had no idea "Under My Skin" had a vinyl release. What was the bonus 7"?

23. SixOClockBoos

It included "I Always Get What I Want" and a live acoustic version of "Nobody's Home".

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  24. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Proud of my little Canadian sister.....(figurative speaking of course). :righton:

25. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.