Axis Bold As Love CD question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff56, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi,

I have an SRC 01 and an early DADC. I noticed nothing different between them. I know SRC 01 and SRC 02 matrix's are exactly the same not sure about others - meaning is the lack of RE1 an absolute thing for the no NR version?

In my experience the Non RE1 Axis is the hardest of the Experience discs to find and the early DADC version even more so.

Cry Of love is probably just as difficult but that's not an Experience album.

scottc1963 likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

It's a small, yet noticeable difference, at least on my gear. I usually say that I only seek out the West German/Japan/DADC pressings if it's a favorite album of mine or if it's available for pretty much the same price.

Pressing differences are highly debated here. Many feel they make no difference if the mastering is the same, many others feel it makes a big difference. My experience is that there is usually a small, but noticable difference between different pressings of the same mastering.

3. vintage2

vintage2 Forum Resident

The P20P is different from the P33P. At least, on Little Wing. Bold as Love canceled out when I lined them up and inverted one. This is weird to say the least. Here's a picture of Little Wing. P20P vs P33P. P20P is on top.

[​IMG]

4. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Thanks. Would you be able to describe the difference(s) you hear?

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Bettter focus and clarity.

6. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

Fascinating discussion on the various releases of this album.

I just picked up the 847 243-2 CD, and on first listen, it sounds fine; that said, I haven't A-B'd it with anything else, and I'm not as familiar with this album as I am with others by Hendrix.

The matrix of my disc says "Made in UK", although I note that many people have referred to this release as being made in West Germany.

One rather hilarious thing about this release is the text in the liner notes. There's a black and white picture of (left-to-right) Redding, Hendrix, and Mitchell, with a tear down the middle of the image, along Hendrix' face. The single liner note, in big text, states (quoted verbatim): "This is the second album of the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Jimi Hendrix is the man in the middle with the curly hair and the broken face. Noel Redding is the man on the left and Mitch Mitchell is the man on the right. Jimi Hendrix writes his own music and almost sings it, he also plays guitar".

What's the deal with the really loud opening chord on "Wait Until Tomorrow"? The track settles down to a "normal" volume immediately after that.

7. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

I don't know if it's useful at this point, but here are the peak levels from the Polydor 847 243-2:

Track 1
    Filename EXP.wav
    Peak level 100.0 %

Track 2
    Filename Up From The Skies.wav
    Peak level 96.1 %

Track 3
    Filename Spanish Castle Magic.wav
    Peak level 100.0 %

Track 4
    Filename Wait Until Tomorrow.wav
    Peak level 100.0 %

Track 5
    Filename Ain't No Telling.wav
    Peak level 98.8 %

Track 6
    Filename Little Wing.wav
    Peak level 100.0 %

Track 7
    Filename If 6 Was 9.wav
    Peak level 99.7 %

Track 8
    Filename You Got Me Floatin'.wav
    Peak level 96.9 %

Track 9
    Filename Castles Made Of Sand.wav
    Peak level 94.8 %

Track 10
    Filename She's So Fine.wav
    Peak level 98.4 %

Track 11
    Filename One Rainy Wish.wav
    Peak level 100.0 %

Track 12
    Filename Little Miss Lover.wav
    Peak level 99.4 %

Track 13
    Filename Bold As Love.wav
    Peak level 100.0 %

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think Jimi wanted to get our attention.

9. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

Lots of other people must own this release. Any recent thoughts? :)

10. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

No-noised, do a search here, we have talked about it loads :wave:

11. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

I did do a search. This is one of the bumped threads. :) Just wondered if anyone had anything new to add.

12. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Cool, ok the original Polydor Axis is an alternate mix, differences include no intro to 'You Got Me Floating' and a extra 'guitar noise' in Little Wing. It seems that was Douglas's source of choice in the 1980's because I think that version of Little Wing was on other compilations, its been a while so I could be wrong ! The 'No Noise' 547 Cd I got rid of when I went to upgrade the 825 because IMO it didn't sound as good, understandable since on this forum I discovered it was 'No Noised' , so I can't tell you whether the No Noised 547 Axis is the alternate mix or anything else. If you want an alternative Axis Mix to the current EH Axis Cd the 825 is the one to find or the Japan Polydor one.

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I'll recap it for you:

Original Stere Mix: Get the old 1980's reprise cd (non-RE1 in matrix)
    Alternate Stereo Mix...has little panning: European Polydor cd
    Mono Mix: Get the Classic Records LP

AVOID THE 1990 RERPISE CD (RE1 IN MATRIX...NONOISED...YUCK!)

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Ugh! My Polydor is a West German one, Catalog number 813 572-2. I thought I had a non- no-noised one. :confused:

15. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

You do, but I wouldn't get hung up on NR considering that disc uses the wrong mix of the entire album ;)

ricks likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

Cool. I got the original Reprise CD (no RE) as well.

17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Tonight I scored a non-NR "SRC 02" copy at Newbury Comics in Natick, MA for just ten bucks! Christmas came a day early for me! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.