B-Sides Or Outtakes You Can't Believe Were Left Off Their Respective Albums!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JayB, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

"Genetic" - from Sonic Youth's Dirty. Any wonder why Lee Ranaldo threatened to leave the group after this was pulled at the last minute.

"Driver, Suprise Me" - from The National's Alligator.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Still....sucks it was relegated to b-side status. That's one of the catchiest, most feel good rock songs ever! :)

3. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Pardon me.

4. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Totally agree. If that song doesn't get you pumped up for a night out on the town, nothing will.

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Hendrix rip-off.

6. HFR

HFR Well-Known Member

I've always assumed 'Ages Of You' was buried because it was recorded during the 'Reckoning' sessions, (between Dec 8th 1983 and Jan 16th 1984), when 'Karma Chameleon' was topping the Billboard Charts, and - oops! - the pre-choruses are basically the same.

Now skip ahead to 0:30 and start singing "I'm a man without conviction...."

JoeRockhead, JimC and autumn daze like this.
  7. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

xtc desert island on mummer

Pete Puma likes this.
  8. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Slayer Show No Mercy-Ice Titan
    Van Halen I-Big Trouble

9. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

"Tiny Demons" and "Time Heals" -- Todd Rundgren, "Healing" album.

(To be fair, they came with LP as a bonus single and are now on CD.)

10. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

you can't take anything off of closer... it would be an atrocity...

JimC likes this.
  11. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

My favourite B-sides:
    Bruce Springsteen: Janey, don´t you lose heart (I´m going down)
    Rolling stones: Child of the moon (Jumpin´ Jack flash)
    ELO: Julie don´t live here anymore (Twilight)
    ABBA: Lovelight (Chiquitita)
    ABBA: Should I laugh or cry (One of us)
    Marillion: Lady Nina (Kayleigh)
    Marillion: Cinderella search (Assassin)
    Ultravox: Passionate reply (Vienna)

12. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

The Cure's "This twilight garden" for me. Such a beautiful song.

13. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

ABBA - Summer Night City (in fact an a-side)
    THE SISTERS OF MERCY - Poison Door

14. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Iron Maiden's Sanctuary, Twilight Zone and Total Eclipse

15. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

Beyond anyone else in terms of quality and
    sheer quantity. THE WHO they must half a
    dozen albums of extra b sides, singles and
    Many outtakes.

Pictures of Lily, join together, relay,
    Long live rock & magic bus. Substitute
    I can't. Explain. Are some of the hits

My God unreleased tracks included glow girl
    Glittering girl, pure and easy, water, signal 30.
    Man with money, instant party,

The list is probably over 100.

16. While it's certainly a great track, Latitude 88 North only existed as a long-lost demo (consisting of a single verse and chorus) until Jeff Lynne revisited the piece after its discovery in 2001, so unless he's mastered the art of time travel this one will have to remain a bonus track on the 30th anniversary remaster.

Keeping with ELO for a moment longer, Balance Of Power is a short enough album that it could have benefitted massively from the inclusion of Caught In A Trap and Destination Unknown - the latter perhaps an even better closing song than Send It, or at the very least as a replacement for Endless Lies, which actually dates from the Secret Messages sessions.

Also, there's absolutely no way that When Time Stood Still deserved to be substituted at the last minute with the vastly inferior Another Heart Breaks, which was actually recorded after the rest of Time because Lynne second-guessed what very nearly became a perfect concept album. I've discussed the background of this in the past, so I won't repeat myself again.

Oasis have been mentioned quite a lot in this thread already as well, though mainly in relation to songs featured on The Masterplan. However, I truly believe there are enough quality b-sides left over to create an equally impressive compilation or at least boost some of their last few albums.

I seem to recall Q magazine dropping Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants to a 4-star review purely because of Let's All Make Believe only being on the Japanese edition, and if you ignore this particular song, every other b-side (along with leaked demos such as the fantastic Revolution Song, plus a few others resurrected later) feature Noel Gallagher on vocals...

Indeed, if you put together virtually all of the "SOTSOG" and Heathen Chemistry outtakes, that's already a far better record than anything Noel's done so far in his post-Oasis career. Similarly, both Don't Believe The Truth and Dig Out Your Soul have some amazing b-sides. Is it too late to ask for a collection of the very best outtakes from this era?

Finally, there are enough leftovers from Radiohead's 1999-2000 sessions to compile a third album after Kid A and Amnesiac, with the majority either being issued as b-sides in 2001 or finished during the recordings for Hail To The Thief. Although far less commercial, the results are still rather impressive, and I seem to recall Cuttooth in particular very nearly making it onto Amnesiac.

I've actually found there are more b-sides from The Bends and OK Computer than the length of both these albums combined, with the Airbag/How Am I Driving EP? proof that the latter could easily have been issued as a double album and still remained an absolute classic. On the other hand, I remember the band once saying they're not fans of such pretentious, epic statements.

JimC likes this.
  17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I grant you a full pardon ;)

18. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

That was recorded during the Foxtrot sessions. Not to mention it was written during the Anthony Phillips era and was probably played live during his tenure, and was definitely played live often by the classic lineup prior to the Foxtrot sessions - not to mention prior to the Nursery Cryme sessions as well. That song has no connection whatsoever to the SEBTP album.

JediJoker likes this.
  19. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

We'll just have to disagree. Both songs you dislike are favourites of mine.
    While I am a fan of Gilmour's guitar playing, his talent is not enough to save a terrible song.
    I tried, believe me, I tried to like Motor of Love, but it goes on too long. IMHO, it's one of McCartney's weakest efforts - of all time.

This is exactly what I like about this forum: that you can discuss an album and find opinions that are completely contradictory for the same piece of music.

warewolf95 likes this.
  20. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Best part is that we can do it in a civilised manner :)

Peter_R likes this.
  21. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Not a rip-off IMO. Hendrix never mumbled lyrics like this. I would suggest that guitar style pays a passing nod. YLB is deeper blues, where Hendrix always had a foot in the door of psychedelic 60's rock, at least on the original albums.

ARK likes this.
  22. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Mick Jagger - "Blue" (b-side, not on Goddess in the Doorway). Probably my favorite Jagger solo song.

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That's very true...Putta Block, I'm Into C.B., Fantastic Life, Wings, Lucifer Over Lancashire...some of my favourite Fall tracks

24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Good call. Also, "Goin' Down" really should have made it onto Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd.

The Small Faces "I'm Only Dreaming" would have been an excellent choice for their Immediate debut.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but it's a crime that some of the classic Gene Clark tracks like "She Don't Care About Time", "The Day Walk", and "I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better" got left off of the original studio albums. Thankfully, the reissued CD's rectified this. I'd also add Crosby's "Lady Friend" to the list.

Pink Floyd's "Embryo" would have been a good fit for Atom Heart Mother and preferable to the rather bland "If", IMO. Of course, I wish that more of Syd's material, like "Scream Thy Last Scream" and "Vegetable Man", had made it onto Saucerful of Secrets or even Relics.

Finally, part of me wishes that King Crimson's "Dr. Diamond" had made it onto Starless & Bible Black in its original '73 arrangement.

25. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Yeah, The Fall is interesting in that even people who don't know or like them might find it interesting that they possibly have the most quantity of "important to the fans" B Sides of any band in history, that I can think of. Obviously tons of bands of all sorts had some great ones, but I can't think of anyone (either within or outside of my own tastes) who had as many that are "classic" songs in their history.

BTW isn't Kicker Conspiracy/Wings a double A side? I think maybe Various Times that I put might be part of a double A too! My Fall knowledge used to be watertight but it's getting rusty nowadays and my vinyl is in storage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.