"Baby Driver" in theaters

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hightops, Jul 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Saw it, liked it! :righton: Perfect rainy day movie

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Noted Hollywood writer Ken Levine seems to agree with me...

BABY DRIVER is a fun summer movie thrill ride. Imagine FAST & FURIOUS but not idiotic and Quentin Tarantino without Samuel L. Jackson. Writer/director Edgar Wright has crafted a super stylish adrenaline rush that has the best soundtrack I’ve heard in years.

By Ken Levine: BABY DRIVER: My review

Dudley Morris, lbangs and OldSoul like this.
  3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Agree with Bingo.

Good music also. Style...

4. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

Went last night, loved it then really liked it, and now like it. Understand the good reviews and word of mouth. Recommend it...Elgort in the title role is a fresh face and helps the film a lot. Foxx could've been a liability but he digs into his role and almost steals the movie. For me the jov of music celebrated and used in such a fun and creative way makes this a keeper. When it gets to the script it really falls apart especially at the end where the final battle goes on interminably and massive wtf's proliferate. But definitely worth the price of admission.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

6. So I finally saw this today, and liked it a lot more than I thought I would. As noted it's an exercise in style as much as story, but style exercised well is as substantive as anything, as is the case here. Loved how the action was sync'd to the soundtrack, and great use of tracks by Queen, the Damned, and JSBX.

When I got into my car afterwards, I felt strangely charged and wanted to attempt some stunt moves in the parking lot before thinking better of it.

Gems-A-Bems and Vidiot like this.
  7. And coupled with good behaviour, it's all the more plausible.

8. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Saw it fairly recently and absolutely loved it. John Ham had the best performance by far. Spacey was great, no surprise there. Foxx didn't have me totally sold as the wildcard, insane member of the crew his character is supposed to be. Still, this film, for what it was, was pretty much perfect. The pacing and editing in particular are worthy of high praise. I honestly did not want it to end and it's the best film I've seen this year so far.

Now I want a Subaru WRX :D

9. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

I enjoyed the movie. At one point it went into a shoot 'em up, car crash thing that I thought they'd lost it. But then it kicked back in.

My main thought though was why "Under My Wheels" wasn't on his iPod?

BGLeduc likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Writer/director Edgar Wright has said when he wrote the movie more than 10 years ago, he decided then on all the songs that would be in the film and deliberately wrote them into the script. He demanded that if any studio made the movie, they'd have to buy the rights to those specific songs (I think at least 25 of them), and he wouldn't substitute any other music. This is one reason why it took so long to get the film made.

MMM, vince and Quadboy like this.
  11. townsend

townsend Senior Member

My wife, son (30yo) and I saw this about a week ago. She liked it, but my son and I -- independently -- thought it was an insufferable bore. I started out liking it, but it became more formulaic and kept going on and on, when it should have already ended. It really degenerated into a mess. If a driver is in a pickup truck, and you push his truck over the edge of a three to four story parking garage, and truck fall and go "boom", then the driver is dead. He doesn't suddenly appear with renewed energy on the same floor you are on. Ad nauseum . . .

Scotian and Deesky like this.
  12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I'm with you. I got my Moviepass card in the mail today and wanted to pick something/anything to see how it worked. Saw the high RT scores and settled on this, without really knowing anything about it. I thought it was one of the stupidest movies I've seen in years and came to read the consensus here. I'll happily remain in the minority on this one.
    :wave:
    And now that I've got my Moviepass, I'll be showing up a lot more in Visual Arts!

DHamilton, teodoro and Chris DeVoe like this.
  13. Mr. Grieves

I didn't think it was formulaic at all, in fact I thought it was refreshing. I didn't think it was stupid it all, certainly not like the new Apes movie was (but I still loved it). It's just a great film with excellent performances. It also easily has some of the greatest direction in a film I've seen in a while. The use of the soundtrack in between the action scenes as well as the romantic was wonderful I think.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree. What I liked about the film was its unusual take on the genre. Really, it was a musical disguised as a heist caper, which I thought was fun and original. But as you say, it got completely ridiculous towards the end with the never ending bad-guy-chasing-hero-through-unbelieavble-setbacks. Why not just get away? Pity.

realkilroy likes this.
  15. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

I agree, it got less entertaining towards the end. But I still liked it. Also made me want to re-watch Hudson Hawk.

Miriam likes this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just watched it ... and hated it. Wannabe Guy Ritchie, but more like an extended annoying Tom Cruise in "Risky Business. Trying so desperately to have style when it had none except a hype up soundtrack and some dweeb's concept of "cool." What a disappointment. I started reading Google news about half-way through. The perfect rainy day and I'd rather be paying-attention-to-something else movie. Tarantino must be rolling his eyes over comparisons to his work.

teodoro and DHamilton like this.
  17. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Yes, plausibility goes right out the window with this movie. So what. This is a hall-of-fame popcorn movie, with an unbeatable soundtrack (Barry White? yes please). Visual style for miles and a hilariously over the top performance by Jon Hamm makes this a standout in an extremely dreadful and boring year for movies. The entire "Hocus Pocus" sequence is worth the price of admission.

realkilroy, BGLeduc and Mr. Grieves like this.
  18. Mr. Grieves

Agreed. Edgar Wright makes great and entertaining movies. You can poke holes in a lot of movies that are considered great, but what really matters is if you did or did not have a good time. I most certainly did. It's too bad others didn't, and I personally strongly disagree with a lot of opinions regarding this film in this thread(I mean who could be bored by this?), but it's ok.

Miriam likes this.
  19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I just wanted Edgar to have a successful movie...whether I liked it or not!

20. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

See the felony murder rule noted above.

Felony murder rule - Wikipedia

As I recall there is a forseeability issue.

The lack of attention to this topic is all the more glaring in light of a small but steady line of cases holding that, in the context of conspiracy law, due process forbids vicarious liability for crimes that are not both (a) reasonably foreseeable and (b) done in furtherance of the conspiracy (these are the so-called "Pinkerton limits").

American University Law Review

Vidiot likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I was gonna say "he already had a hit with 'Ant Man'" because I'm a dope! :help:

I knew he was involved with the project and had it lodged in my mind that he directed it, but he didn't. I guess they adapted his script but he quit before they shot the film.

So yeah, "Baby Driver" is by far Wright's biggest US hit. I'm kinda surprised to see how little money his other movies made here!

22. vince

turns out, the high 'mucky-mucks' at Disney had some 'issues' with his version of "Ant-Man".
    He could've easily become jaded and bitter. Instead, he did this....
    And, yes, it's not my 'cup of tea', but, I still like him!

Oatsdad likes this.
  23. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Just saw it today. I really liked it. The comparisons to Melville and Delon in Le Samourai weren't as off base as I'd initially thought. The direction was tight and the kid was cool. Good for both of them.

I've never seen any of Wright's other work, unless you count seeing Ant Man on a flight.

Now I really want to see The Driver.

24. vince

:yikes:
    The Cornetto Trilogy are some funny, genius films!

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I just watched it last night. I thought it was very entertaining. As if someone made a great mix tape, and created a movie around it. Loved it when he starts The Damned song over...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.