"Back to the Future" coming to Blu-ray October 26, 2010

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pawnmower, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

2. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

:confused:This isn't listed in the Newbury Comics newsletter for this week!

3. Just another example of how out of touch with reality movie executives are and WHY they shouldn't re-edit ("Brazil") or title movies--"If Universal executive Sid Sheinberg had gotten his way, Back To The Future would have been titled Space Man From Pluto."

4. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Just got back from the theatrical showing - the theater was packed, and the film was fantastic!

The digital cleanup job was outstanding - I noticed tons of things that I had never even seen before! (e.g. 1 - the terrorist van parked in the Hill Valley square when Marty and Jennifer are there in beginning of the movie, and 2 - Jennifer's Dad's station wagon in the square when Marty returns to 1985 at the end).

Also love the poster!

5. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Darn, I forgot that was on tonight as well.

6. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I got the poster.

There was someone driving around, dressed as Doc Brown, in a small version of the DeLorean. I think it was actually a Triumph or something.

I got a big charge out of the whole darn thing.

Dan

7. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member Thread Starter

wow.. lucky.. i ordered in july and it just shipped yesterday. i probably won't get it until tomorrow or thursday.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Just watched the first disc and it looks terrific. The films have never looked better. Laurent Bouzereau's new documentaries are fantastic (save for not doing new interviews with composer Alan Silvestri), and they go into quite a bit of unused shots and dropped scenes. It's clear why they didn't use Eric Stoltz, though it's good to actually see some of the footage.

About the only drawback is that it's really sad to see Michael J. Fox's recent interviews. Hard to watch, but at least he can speak well, and his memories of those days is excellent. Some of the old documentary clips are pretty wretched (16mm prints transferred to 3/4" tape, 3/4" tape bumped up to HD), but it's a fantastic package.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Is there footage of Stoltz *speaking*? The promo video from a week or two ago has several shots of Stoltz, but no dialog.

10. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I purchased the set from Best Buy last night for $49.99. Put in the first disc and was stunned by the "multiple clocks in Doc's house" intro... looked almost like a cartoon it was so good. Then things went a bit downhill for me (visually).

Yes, I understand the film is 25 years old, and yes, the Blu-Ray certainly beats my standard DVD, but I've been so spoiled lately with Blu-Ray discs like Star Trek (for instance), that this one fell a bit short.

I'm not complaining, mind you, as I am a HUGE fan of the series, and I haven't even had the chance to watch the bonus features yet (which I'm really looking forward to)... I just wasn't "wowed" visually after the first five minutes... it just looked like a "better" DVD copy (to me, anyway).

11. Pawnmower

I should be getting mine from Amazon either today or tomorrow. I can't wait!

This trilogy is why I finally bought a blu-ray player.

Most of the reviews on Amazon are complaining about the packaging.

12. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

I've made it a rule not to do any first day orders on Blu-ray releases from Universal since they have a habit of rehashing older transfers and applying DNR and edge enhancement and call it "remastered". It's like it is the early days of DVD all over again. Then it was sub-par PQ/AQ, pan & scan or non-anamorphic widescreen. Now that the bar is raised they still take shortcuts. What I've seen of BttF leaves me underwhelmed. Yes, it is an upgrade from DVD but it doesn't really go the extra mile that I expect from this format. Guess I'll just wait for a 30th anniversary edition, hopefully Universal has stepped up their game by then...

13. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

What I want to know from anyone that actually has the set is do they put in the deleted scenes from the third film the clip that I call the D.W. Griffith clip?

I saw a print of this film that had BOTH the scene of Buford shooting Marshall Strickland AND, right after Marty's 'shoot out' with Buford, a little kid asks him, "Hey Mister, where did you learn that?" Marty replies, "In the movies". The little kid asks, "What's a movie?" at which point his mom reaches out to pull him back and says, "D.W. Griffith! You get back here!"

I've never seen it since and it wasn't included on the DVD trilogy release a few years ago.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have the Blu-ray, but probably won't get around to watching until the weekend.

15. Pawnmower

Wow, that's interesting! I've never heard about that.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hmmm, I don't remember that, but the timing works: BTTF III takes place in 1885, and D.W. Griffith was born in 1875. But he lived in Kentucky, not "Hill Valley" (which I got the feeling was in Illinois or Indiana). Co-writer Bob Gale grew up near St. Louis, Illinois, which is said to be the inspiration for the fictitious "Hill Valley" neighborhood in which the McFly family lives.

You're right: there was no sound for those shots of Stoltz, nor did they interview him. I'm surprised they didn't do this, because I think now, 25 years later, I doubt that Stoltz cares that much about it either way. (And Eric did get paid, and has worked in over 60 features and 50 TV shows, so he's actually had a pretty decent career -- despite some people thinking he's like the Pete Best of Hollywood.)

If Universal had had b@lls, they would've shown the recent bit from Fringe that showed the alternate universe where Back to the Future was released with Eric Stoltz as the star on the marquee.

BTW, the scariest thing in the entire documentary was Bob Zemeckis' hair. Yikes! [​IMG]

17. Hawkman

I am not kidding fellas. I SAW with my own two eyes a print of BTTF III that had BOTH of those scenes IN the film. Always wondered why they took them out and why the D.W. Griffith scene was cut from subsequent video releases.

18. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

That scene was on the laserdisc I owned, wasn't it on all laserdiscs?

19. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Just in case not all of the laserdiscs had that scene in it, my laserdisc of BACK TO THE FUTURE 3 was the CAV version. It was very nice to see some of the scenes in stop action.

20. minerwerks

I noticed that on the FORREST GUMP Blu-ray! He's sounding a bit weird, as well.

21. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oh oh. Is he getting crazy? Always seemed like an average guy to me.

dan c

22. Hawkman

I had the laserdiscs but I think they were CLV. Can't imagine why they would cut that out of subsequent pressings.

23. minerwerks

Just sounding hoarse. I noticed it in the GUMP Q&A, and it was consistent with the clips I've seen from the new BTTF docs.

24. Pawnmower

I'll never understand this "digital copy" thing. There are 6 discs in this set.. 3 of which are useless to me and expire at some point. So for the rest of my life I'll have this silly package.

Plus, how popular is this "digital copy" thing that they go to such troubles to provide? Are those that care enough to invest in blu-ray the same people to want to put a movie on a cell phone or iPod?

25. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

The 25th anniversary DVDs are on their way to me. I'll report the quality of sound and video of the release.

In August I ordered the previous trilogy and returned it because I leaned the 25th anniversary edition was being release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.