Bad Company: Deluxe Editions of Run With The Pack, Burnin' Sky & Desolation Angels?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Sep 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The expanded versions are worth it for the other two.

2. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Thx, Wayne - btw, you should get some type medal for your Amazon reviews. They're like a public service for people who care about music and/or are not obsessive enough to frequent this forum!

Juggsnelson and wayneklein like this.
  3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The prime years of the 70s rock era was too short. So any chance to get some more of that magic coming out of my speakers is welcome. There was and is only one Paul Rogers. And the band Bad Company had a chemistry right from the get go that you just do not see every day. Even their rough drafts show off a certain thing I like to think of as magic. It's not really magic, it's simply the members being very skilled and having many of the same influences, each knew where the other was going. Timing, talent, skills, and experience.

These are all things I do not hear much of in late 80s or 90s bands.

4. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Both of these arrived this past weekend. The remastering is very, very good. Haven't taken the deep dive into the bonus material, but will soon.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, even Dylan who had the material was advised to make his bootleg box a 3 CD set, and not a 4 CD set. Every disc over 3 means fewer sets sold. This is a commonly known fact. Hell, even double albums can hurt an artist in the long run. But no, not a 5 or 6 disc set for this act.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Very well said. It was a unique era, and while Bad Company may have had their limitations, there was something special about what they did. Hearing the creative process of the band on the outtakes is special, and something that any rock and roll fan of the era should appreciate.

7. I've always enjoyed 'Run With The Pack' so I will be picking this one up. 'Burning Sky' I have never listened to because I have read it is pretty weak. There were no tracks from 'Burning Sky' on the 'best of' '10 From 6' album which seems to back this up. What say you?

driverdrummer likes this.
  8. I like it and found it an unexpected pleasure to listen to after so long.

sound chaser and mace like this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's the last one I bother with.

10. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Wayne's reviews are a great read!!

wayneklein likes this.
  11. Thanks to both of you!

Sandinista likes this.
  12. I really really like most of Desolation A gels (not a fan of Rhythm Machine but really like the rest of it)

rob68 likes this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

And the album had a major comeback hit for them. It still feels too corporate for my tastes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. It could be--it's certainly slicker than what came before but also catchy as hell. Love the cover as well and it did bring them back in a big way. To each his or her own. I felt that only the uneven "Rough Diamonds" was disappointing and even that had a handful of good songs even if the performances were sometimes lackluster.

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I just got my copies in the mail a day or two ago, no chance to listen (or even look at them to see what the bonus tracks are). So no impressions from me. I did get an Amazon price reduction on them though, think they dropped to like $15 each? I can't remember for sure but I think the previous 2 were even cheaper, like $10-$12? Great releases for the $ IMO.

16. They're terrific. Enjoy them.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. zen

zen Senior Member

I would agree that the "Burning Sky" album is weak. I only have it via the five album mini box. Of those five albums (1974-79), I found that album to be the most uninspired.
    They sound tired. Out of ideas. However, the next "Desolation Angles" was a return to form; so I'll probably get that deluxe edition in the near future. 4 out of 6 upgrades for me. :thumbsup:

18. I ordered both deluxe editions and they are on their way. I guess I'll find out if 'Burning Sky' was worth the pennies after I have listened to it.

zen likes this.
  19. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I love the first bonus track on disc 2 of the "Burnin' Sky" set, which is an alternate version of the title track. I've only listened to the first few bonus tracks on this set, but that one really stands out so far. Is it as good as the released version? Nope, but it is very interesting!

I was also surprised that in only 5 pages of text, the story of the making of the album was told quite succinctly. I had no idea of the backstory of the making of this album, nor what duress it was made under.

20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I can't believe I am just finding out about these 2 releases now......how did I miss this!!!???? Going to order....right.now.

21. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

You shouldn't be disappointed. :)

22. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

The only disappointment thus far is the complete and utter lack of time to immerse in them;):D

23. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Listening (finally) to the "Run With The Pack" deluxe. I have the 24/96 from HdTracks.

Does anyone else feel the bonus tracks on this release sound much better than the album itself? Clearer, fuller and punchier bass.

24. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the new Run With The Pack to the original Diament CD? Just curious as I only have the new deluxe version.

25. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

I received my Run With The Pack deluxe edition last night. When playing tracks back to back with tracks from the other deluxe editions (Bad Co. and Straight Shooter), the tracks on Run With The Pack sound somewhat compressed with a "punchy" bottom end and more "shiny" highs. The tracks on Bad Co. and Straight Shooter sound dull in comparison but much more natural and more like the original LPs. All tracks were tested at the same volume level.

Is there that much of a difference on the tapes between this album and the first two? I don't have an original Run With The Pack CD or LP to compare to my other originals. I'm not sure why Rhino would remaster one deluxe edition so different than the previous two if they're doing a series.

Can anyone provide some insight on this? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.