"Bad Santa" on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by nukevor, Jun 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nukevor

nukevor Active Member Thread Starter

There's both a theatrical release and "Badder Santa" on DVD. Saw the movie last year and just loved it! The only problem with both DVD versions is that there is no audio commentary. So in that case, I'll just rent it.
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=11182

Maybe Criterion will step up to the plate later this year/early next year with a super-dooper 2 disc set? That (and "Ghost World") would be awesome!

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not gonna happen - Criterion hardly ever deal with recent flicks, as the studios handle them all themselves. If Disney wanted to let Criterion touch one of their movies, they'd have let them do the new "English Patient" SE. A double-dip is possible, but not from Criterion...

3. Totti

Totti New Member

The only good thing Billy Bob did in his whole life was to marry Angelina Jolie, he he

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'd say divorcing her was a smarter move. What a nutty broad! :agree:

5. Totti

Totti New Member

You're right!!!

6. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I can't believe how much I enjoyed this movie. It's so corny, obvious, and often cliched- but it just goes to show you what a great cast and a good overall vibe does. I laughed my butt off and would gladly watch it again.

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I watched the unrated "Badder Santa" twice last night (very bored at work guarding a sleeping prisoner in a ICU unit) and was amused by the movie.

It basically is a swear-fest....I wonder why the had an unrated video as not much happened (no nudity....does the Unrated Version have more swearing?) except for a very disheveled Billy Bob and a pissed off dwarf. The kid was great as was the girl bartender (Lauren Graham?) and of course Bernie Mac.

It was nice to see John Ritter in his last performance.

Not the kind of movie I'd buy on DVD but it is amusing while you watch it.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, there is nudity at the strip joint. And while there's no skin, there is at least the one big sex scene in the car...

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Billy Bob Thornton is an underrated actor, IMO. Shouldn't have married Angelina, though...

Evan

10. JohnG

there was a small breast shot in the strip bar scene. the sex scenes were simulated in a raunchy but "you don't really see anything" kind of way.

the movie basically gets its rating from all the swearing and cursing...which is pretty good at times.

my favorite line in the movie which is repeated a few times was " I couldn't s*** for a week/month". :D

11. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I saw this one at Sams yesteday. They had about 300 copies of the regular DVD, and only 10 or so of the "Badder" version. I almost bought it, but figured I'd wait for HBO. Maybe I should have just bagged it, it was not that expensive.....

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm watching Badder Santa now! This is funny as hell! I love it! :laugh:

13. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

I laughed out so loud watching Badder Santa last night, I don't I'm gonna S**t for a month!

14. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I fell in love with Lauren Graham after seeing this movie. I knew she was the mom on "Gilmore Girls," but she never really caught my attention until this. She's adorable and incredibly sexy!!!

F*** me, Santa! F*** me, Santa! F*** me, Santa!

15. MJM

MJM Forum Resident

Badder Santa (You Got THAT Right!!)

I'm never the type to wanna rain on anyone's parade, but I'm just saying... I rented Badder Santa on Saturday, and watched it today (Sunday). Exactly what I was expecting, I don't know, but I'm thrilled I didn't buy the film. Did anyone else here feel as though it D**R**A**G**G**E**D on forever, and basically didn't really go anywhere? I laughed a handful of times throughout the film, but it's unlikely I would ever want to watch it again in my lifetime. Did I take the film too seriously? I just couldn't get over how truly pathetic the character of Willie T. Soke was. It annoyed me far more than it humored me. The child, with the comical name of Herman Merman was slightly touching, but that off-the-wall demeanor of his, and the overall deadpan camera shots of him... In a few scenes, I was just waiting for his head to spin around or something, a la The Exorcist :laugh:

I don't know--I'm usually the type of person to be more light-hearted than those around me, but in this case, I thought the movie was rather boring & lackluster. Isn't it beautiful we're all different? :D

MJM

16. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Perhaps the extra 7 minutes did you in. I've watched twice now, however I'm wondering if there are different scenes that are just in the R-rated "BAD SANTA" that would have made the movie move along faster to your liking! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

17. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

Humor, B
    Story, C
    Language, D. They went way overboard with the profanity.
    Overall acting, B+

18. Grant

It's dark comedy, man! It's my kind of movie, full of politically incorrect jokes and situations. It didn't drag on for me at all. I knew the movie was going to be atypical when the guy throws up in the alley alone and miserable even before the opening credits finish.

The movie wasn't supposed to be uplifting, or positive, or any other of that crap they say the audience loves, but, it DID end that way. Thoughout the misery in the movie, they guy did find love, or whatever it was, a friend, some respect from others, and the kid found some self-respect. Willie found it in his heart to care about someone and something. They both came out as better people for it.

I guess the message is that no matter how bad things are, don't give up. There's still hope at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes you have to go through something tramatic to change your life. It's just all the other stuff in the movie that people have a problem with. And, you can't deny that there are many people who live miserably from day to day. Maybe people have trouble seeing that not everyone in life has such a fine life, even in the movies. I think it was a brilliant move to have not made Willie a bad guy.

I didn't have a problem with the profanity because i've been around enough people who talk that way all the time. It doesn't phase me. I thought it was funny how John Ritter couldn't keep a straight face when doing his parts. Bernie Mac had had moments of trying to maintain his composure as well! :laugh:

Just don't think you can let your kids see either version. It's not a kid's movie by any stretch of the imagination! And, anyway, kids hear worse at school!

19. JohnG

I would guess it will go down as a must see cult movie. It is not your typical movie comedy. I give it much credit for that.

20. Grant

I hate typical.

21. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

I thought it was hilarious when we saw it in the theatres. I couldn't help but think of people who took kids, looking for just anything to do with Christmas, or even adults who take the spirit/nostalgia of Christmas real serious. Man, did they get blown away!

It'll def be a cult keeper. I thought it could've been just as effective, and prob more so, with 15-20% less profanity, but I can't say it actually bothered me.

Billy Bob's a darn fine comedic actor, under-rated I think.

doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.