Badfinger Come and Get It: 1979 recording

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by somebodywhocares, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was checking out what's available for Badfinger on Spotify this morning. Of course, it has all of the crappy Joey Molland re-recordings packaged under different "album" titles: "10 Tops-Badfinger", "Good Music-The Dave Cash Collection", "Come and Get It" and "No Matter What You Are", which all feature the same songs. However, the version of "Come and Get It" on the first 3 titles I mentioned seems to be Tom Evans singing, but it's clearly faster than the original.

I'm wondering if this is the re-recording from 1979 that I've read about. I believe the Evans/Molland version of the band was offered some money to do this for some sort of "Time Life" style hits collection. Can anyone verify if it is the 1979 recording? Same tracks appear on ITunes and Amazon, I believe.

If it is the 1979 recording, it's cool that it is still available, for historical reasons, although it's sad that it's packaged as part of these bogus albums that are bought by uninformed people looking for the original hits.

Is the 1979 version available on any legitimate cd releases?

2. somebodywhocares

Know one knows?

3. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

The 1979 recording was legitimately issued on a rock & roll CD compilation. I have it. I'll try and dig it out for you (I don't have it near me right now).

4. steve_miller

steve_miller Forum Resident

5. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

I know this was legitimately released on a K-Tel Records compilation - I still have the cassette at home, but can't recall what the compilation was titled. I believe there were other songs on the collection which were re-recordings, some done very well.

6. tzer

tzer Forum Resident

While I haven't tracked down any of the compilation releases listed here, http://www.allmusic.com/song/come-and-get-it-t4046827, it's probably a safe bet that all of the K-Tel releases use the re-recorded version. Probably anything that has a length from say 2:09 through 2:16 is the K-Tel version. The Apple version would be around 2:20. The three minute and three and a half minute versions has me befuddled.

I have a couple bootlegs that claim to have the Come and Get It "original acetate". This invariably turns out to be the K-Tel version.

7. Tom and Joey were offered $5000 to re-record Come And Get It. If it's Tom Evans on vocals, then I'm pretty sure it's the 1979 version. Joey Molland is the only original member on those other terrible re-recordings, so they all feature his (shot) voice.

8. tzer

tzer Forum Resident

9. somebodywhocares

10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

11. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

12. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Nice Badfinger pun reference. I also have it on some 80's comp on cassette that I bought in the late 80s. I only bought it to get a non-vinyl copy of "Come And Get It" and upon first listen, realized that it was a remake because it was at a faster tempo. In the record's defense, I recall a disclaimer saying that it was re-recordings of CERTAIN tracks but it didn't say what tracks were remakes. But one listen of this version of "Come And Get It" and you could tell it wasn't the original.

13. Sounds like the same terrible drum samples Joey ruined those live in Cleveland (?) recordings with!

14. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

15. Well My lovely Ali found all this... 'What a Woman !" ... Listen, "Mr Opaque" (in Norfolk)... Joey has his faults, however when he was younger he was probably one of about 5 or 6 Half-Rhythm / Lead Guitarists who could put an arranged piece into a Tune, and turn it around on a dime..... The only problem with doing that, is very often one is not credited....... (believe me , I know) .............. That 1979 version was for two reasons; (1) K-Tel wanted a version that they wouldn't have to pay full royalties on .... (2) Believe it not , Radio Stations all across the Country had worn out their "C &G It" 45's ..... So Joey, Tommy, Tony (TK) and Moi, (Clarkie) set about doing a remake.... With BALLS....... Cos the Original didn't have any .... We all thought it was a bit too "nice"...... (it was) ....... You know, ... I was asked to join the band 4 times in the 70's ..... each time I said; .... "Yes." Only to have Mike come back , (twice). ... The 3rd time, Joey changed his mind and did Natural Gas instead ....After finally getting into the Band I smashed my right wrist through a plate glass table, (emphasizing the point in an argument, a point that now escapes me) snapping the Ulna instantly .... I believe it's called; "Fear of Success Syndrome" (ask Joe Tansin) ...... I did all the TV shows with one arm ...... and took it out of the cast, (it was a wreck) when we went out on our first Tour....(79) .. Apart from the fact that it took over 2 yrs for the upper muscle to return to a natural position, I was concentrating so hard on my right arm, that my right foot was late....... So, I ended it, (at The Roxy) went away and did something completely different........ After our last show at "The Roxy" on Sunset...... The Times wrote; "Actually, Badfinger shouldn't have been on The Roxy last night,.... They should have been on The Forum." .... If any one out there knows a member of Chicago, ask them...... I' 'think they might remember me....... Clarkie.

Quark1134, Carserguev and Hep Alien like this.
  16. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.