Band member fired, replaced within days

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BryanA-HTX, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor Thread Starter

Pete Willis was fired from Def Leppard on July 10th, 1982. Phil Collen joined 2 days later.

Dave Mustaine was fired from Metallica April 11th, 1983. Kirk Hammett actually joined a couple of days before, but the news wasn't broken until they knew Kirk was the right fit.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Doug Gillard rejoined GBV a couple days after Nick Mitchell was sacked.

And there was this one band in the 60s who sacked their drummer, then had some guy they knew from Hamburg step in.

Zeki and kouzie like this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Pete Best / Ringo Starr was only a couple days, right?

4. NickC4555

NickC4555 Well-Known Member

Brian Jones/Mick Taylor.

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Richie Ramone left or was sacked, then Clem "Elvis Ramone" Burke came in and screwed the proverbial pooch, then Marky came back. All in about a week.

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Deep Purple was already rehearsing/writing with Ian Gillan and Roger Glover while fulfilling booked shows with Rod Evans and Nick Simper.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I've read that Yes had a secret rehearsal/meeting with Rick Wakeman before letting Tony Kaye know he was out. Similarly, Journey replacing Robert Fleischman with Steve Perry.

bartels76 likes this.
  8. NickC4555

NickC4555 Well-Known Member

Marillion's drum stool was more like Spinal Tap in 83-84. Mick Pointer replaced by Andy Ward, replaced by John Marter, replaced by Jonathan Mover, replaced by Ian Mosley.

Muddy and Sevoflurane like this.
  9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Bruce Kulick replaced Mark St John during the tour where both of them were performing.

Zoot Marimba and blueslover99 like this.
  10. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Sabbath dumped Glenn Hughes on the Seventh Star tour to be immediately replaced by Ray Gillen.

Then when Gillen is dumped before Eternal Idol was released, Tony Martin is pulled in on very very short notice to re-record all the vocals for the album.

Sean and Shak Cohen like this.
  11. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

When Ray joined Sabbath..
    When Vinnie replaced Bill.
    When Bev Bevan replaced Bill.
    When Vinnie replaced Cozy.
    When Vinnie replaced Bill a 2nd time.
    When Brad Wilk replaced Bill.

12. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Can probably also include Joe Burt and Terry Chimes to this list as well. Plus that nameless bass playing dude from The Shining video. Oh and Bob Daisley.

13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not sure, but this certainly happened when he rejoined to replace Patrick Moraz.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  14. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Derrick Hughes- Tower of Power- He replaced Brent Carter, Hughes didn't last long at all, I can only find one performance of him. Hughes was replaced by Larry Braggs.

Ricky Owens- Owens was the lead singer of the Vibrations, he was tapped to take Eddie Kendricks's spot in the Temptations. Owens did a few bad performances, he was replaced by Damon Harris.

Zeki likes this.
  15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Andy Summers replaced Henry Padovani while he was still in the band. The Police did some gigs with two guitarists. Same thing with Syd and Dave in The Pink Floyd.

Zeki, dlokazip, DTK and 3 others like this.
  16. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Jimmy Page was apparently hanging out backstage with Yardbirds when Paul Samwell-Smith quit after a gig. He offered to become their new bassist because he was tired of playing sessions.

Edit: does this fit the thread? Samwell-Smith quit and was immediately replaced, but he wasn't fired.

Dave Hoos, Sean and Fullbug like this.
  17. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

That's nothing. Steel Dragon replaced a guy during a show.

18. So did the Who, but that was just temporary.

bzfgt, dylankicks, jeffd7030 and 7 others like this.
  19. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

:laugh:I was just about to post that. I just watched Rock Star for the first time last night, and that's what I immediately thought when I saw this thread! Not only did he get replaced during the show, he hired his own replacement!

vamborules likes this.
  20. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Wasn't David Marks asked to officially join The Beach Boys like, the same day Al Jardine quit?

Jimmy B. likes this.
  21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Jeff Beck fired the Jeff Beck Group II (Cozy Powell, Clive Chaman, Max Middleton, Bob Tench) during a session with Stevie Wonder at Electric Lady Studios in late May 1972. Some have suggested that within days, Carmine Appice and Tim Bogert joined JB at Electric Lady to continue working on the tracks, while the other timeline has JB and his JB Group II band members returning to England and agreeing to finish touring obligations during the summer after their firing, with Appice and Bogert being called in to Electric Lady to overdub instrumentation later in the summer. It is a bit convoluted, but the closest thing I could think of. Actually, vocalist Kim Milford was brought in as lead vocalist for some U.S. JB Group II dates during August 1972 (dates that consisted of Appice, Bogert, and Middleton), and was fired mid-tour with Bob Tench replacing him within 24 hours. Close enough?

Zeki and Dave Hoos like this.
  22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Actually, didn't Moonie actually get his gig by saying he was better than their current drummer?

23. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

What goes around, comes around.

24. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

It seemed a bit daft me guarding him when he's a guard..

ianuaditis and Dave Hoos like this.
  25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Kieth Moon replaced Doug Sandom without notice- I think I've got that right without using google.

Keith V likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.