Bands Or Artists You Think Should Like More

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mwheelerk, Jun 2, 2014.

1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Going back to the 50s this time...

Platters
    Coasters
    Drifters

Darryl

2. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Possible adding one of these to my 50s collection, but which one?
    I know hits by all 3, but want to be able to move beyond that.
    Edit, narrowing it down to Platters & Drifters.

Darryl

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  3. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Were you more of a Bud Abbott man?

4. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

The Band
    Phish
    Gabriel-era Genesis
    Porcupine Tree
    Jethro Tull
    Destruction (the German thrash band)

5. warewolf95

Just curious, can you elaborate on why you don't care for him?

I thought I didn't for a long time. But he/his history was so intriguing to me that I kept coming back slowly and looking at things from different angles and eventually somehow I "got" Elvis.

danasgoodstuff and gotblues like this.
  6. warewolf95

My problem is that it's impossible for me to think of the Band without also thinking of Bob Dylan, lol

7. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

what did you think of the Kinks man!

8. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I think of Ronnie Hawkins.

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I second this. On paper, I should love him. Smart sophisticated pop. Perfect pedigree. I don't love him though. I just like some of his stuff.

10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Didn't realize how much of their stuff I already knew. It was easier than I expected.
    Had the comp in post 319 in my collection for the longest time.
    Figures I would get into the band after I sold it off (awhile back).

Darryl

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  11. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Gram Parsons. I get and respect why people love him but he leaves me cold

12. Dark Mavis

Dark Mavis Local Congressman

Just from reading this forum, my ambivalence towards all-things-Beatles feels like a punishable offence, if that counts.

gotblues and Jimmy B. like this.
  13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music... Thread Starter

Costello is one that grew on me in later years. The only album I had for the longest time was Imperial Bedroom and I really like that but I just couldn't really hear with his other stuff. It's kind of weird but the album he did with Burt Bacharach somehow opened my ears and mind to him and now I have many titles I enjoy.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  14. rogermcnally

rogermcnally Forum Resident

I have the Costello aversion too. At first I thought it was because I didn't like the way he uses five words where one will do. I think he badly needs an editor.
    But I don't like his voice either. It sounds strained and somehow greasy.
    Oh and I don't like the way he looks either, but I still have about six of his albums?

Shaddam IV likes this.
  15. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'm leaning more towards The Drifters.

Darryl

16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

OK, just added The Drifters.

Other groups I'm thinking about checking out...

1960s
    Lovin' Spoonful
    Grass Roots
    Association

1970s
    Jim Croce
    Bread
    America

1980s
    Air Supply

Darryl

17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

OK, I didn't get anywhere with these groups.
    Thought I'd give The Eagles another try (as I've always like the songs).
    Had difficulty previously due to the bad blood in the band.
    Thought I'd put that aside and just concentrate on the music.
    Forgot how many songs I loved (esp. Henley's vocal).
    Probably will add them to my collection.
    Currently playing this...

[​IMG]

LOve this clip from their Farewell I DVD...

joe walsh life's been good live - Video Dailymotion

Darryl

18. Joe oliver

Joe oliver Forum Resident

I set myself up for a life-transforming experience with Steely Dan - and it's yet to arrive - maybe I'm trying too hard. Pretzel Logic and Can't Buy A Thrill were quite enjoyable and yet I don't reach for them. Countdown to Ecstasy and Katy Lied left me completely baffled as to what all the fuss was about. Though I still follow with fascination the ardour-stricken Steely Dan threads on this forum hoping to one day see the light!

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  19. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I don't think I "should" like any band or artist more than I already do. While I'm sure there is stuff that if I discovered it, I'd enjoy it,
    this idea of "I, I should like that artist more! I'm so sorry I don't!" is ABSURD.
    We all like what is perfect for our own tastes; thus, we all have perfect taste for our own self.
    While we can go, "wow, that person has great taste," never once do we actually think "wow, I wish MY taste was as good as that person's!"
    It's completely absurd. No one should make you feel like you must like anything or anybody, no matter how much they want to share something they love with you; it's up to feel whatever you feel inside.
    The idea of actual pressure from others to like any music at all is completely wrong.

20. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

You stumbled on the problem with this thread - it suggests we should like somebody more than we do.
    I personally love the Beatles but get how you feel. (and I don't always love every song or period - I have the right to not like this song or that or just *not be in the mood* for them).
    Over-hype of any artist can kill someone else from liking them as well. I'm a huge Springsteen fan but I know some who hate him because they got sick and tired of hearing how he's the greatest and thus will never be able to hear him on their own,
    as in without outside pressure to like someone or not.
    The Beatles, here it's treated like a crime not to like Sgt. Pepper or whatever album some group of strangers all like or love. (what happened to individual taste? Oh yeah, on forums it gives way to mob mentality sometimes)
    Bob Dylan, I'm on a Dylan forum and you'd think it's a crime to not like something like Self-Portrait, which I loathe. You have to like everything on there, or be prepared for an argument.
    Enjoy what you enjoy.
    I've found when a group of people all love something I can go the other way and get sick of hearing what's being written about it - then, sometime later, by myself, I can judge it on its own merits, and maybe like it, maybe not.
    I know I've liked things more when not feeling pressure like I "have to."

Dark Mavis likes this.
  21. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

I don't think it's about other folks tastes or something someone tells you you should like but more in line with a certain artist ticks all or most of your boxes on paper but the actual experience leaves you cold. Springsteen is one for me... I dig his subject matter, his lyrical play and the general sound he is mining but there is something missing for me when I play the records. Save for the Seeger Sessions mind you... that whole album drips with absolute joy.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  22. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

One way to interpret the thread title could be Artists Which Logic, Not Peer Pressure, Says I Should Have Been Able to Embrace.

For me it's the Stones :hide: sorry, sorry - my favorite genre above all is blues, so it should follow logically, musically on that I'd love them. That's an example of how I interpreted the thread premise. There was indeed widespread high school peer pressure to dig them (early '70s) but I never cared about that nor let it influence my listening decisions at all.
    Other than Jagger's singing voice often not sitting well I can't even cite why I couldn't get with them. I myself used to say to myself that I "should" be liking this band, there was no need to hear it from others.

(Not bashing the Stones one bit, btw. I like plenty of stuff others can't stand; viva la difference. Not a bash, only an answer to an interesting thread.)

LilacTeardrop and ianuaditis like this.
  23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I think the word 'should' in the thread title can be replaced with 'could.
    It gives the thread a fresher perspective. 'Should' is too demanding.
    I don't say I dislike an artist, because later I may add them to my collection, when I discover them.
    This happened to me recently with The Eagles.

Darryl

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  24. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

The eagles

Fleetwood Mac

Early rolling stones(pre beggars banquet)

AC dc ....hate them but people love them

25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Currently gonna give PC another go.

Darryl