Bands that reunite (or keep going) that maybe shouldn't.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ian, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian

Ian Active Member Thread Starter

Now I'm talking once great bands that get back together or keep touring without key members that shouldn't.
    Case in point:
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Although I did hear a rumour that this latest tour may be their last (Keep your fingers crossed)

The Band - No explanation needed

Thin Lizzy - The remainders of that once great band got back together last year for a tribute tour. Thin Lizzy withou Phil Lynot is like Motorhead without Lemmy... You just can't do it.

Little Feat - Without Lowell George??

Van Halen - The guy from Extreme (sort of like "The Paper Chase Guy" from "Warrior Of The Lost World") actually made me miss Sammy Hagar... I do think they have finally called it a day though, for now.

2. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

The Beach Boys need to call it a day. Not only has the band disintegrated into several splinter groups, but it approaches being a dire parody of itself.

Their "day in the sun" has passed and let's remember them for the band they were.

Paul

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Definitely Deep Purple...

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LS was over when that unfortunate accident claimed those poor souls...Sad

5. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Chicago should have quit when Terry Kath died :(

6. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The Monkees. I love 'em, but take a look at their new live DVD. It was fun in '86, and even interesting to see the crash and burn of the Justus full reunion in the '90's, but now, everyone concerned is just too old to keep trotting out "The Monkees" and not look foolish.

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Although both Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes are superb guitar players, I don't think the Allman Brothers are the Allman Brothers without Dickey Betts (personal problems and all).

Yes - The current Allman Brothers do still sound great, but they shouldn't really be called the Allman Brothers in my book.

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I am probably alone in this opinion, but.....The Who.

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Not at all, MM: just who I was thinking of when I saw the thread title. They're down to Daltrey and Townshend, and it seems pointless to continue. Go their solo ways, perhaps, but losing The Ox was, to me, the final blow. I suspect the Bee Gees are now in the same predicament: they could continue on somewhere down the road, but that would take a lot of fortitude; I'm not sure Robin or Barry want to do that.

I'd say the Stones, but they're always game, if extremely long in the tooth...

ED:cool:

10. Claus

Claus Senior Member

You're not alone... I have the same wish:rolleyes:

11. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Not alone at all.

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

With The Stones, as long as you have Mick, Keith, and Charlie, you have a quorum. I have no problem with The Stones continuing, as long as the above three are present. I hope the Bee Gees call it a day now as well.

13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

The Who- when Keith Moon died. What followed has been a sad coda to a remarkable body of work. On the eve of the first "last tour" in 1982, Townshend, with his usual candor, admitted that he was doing it for the money and that appears to have been the reason for the ensuing twenty years of farewells.
    But, man, did they put out some great music and do some remarkable shows before Keith died.

Thought of another-Billy Joel!

14. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Although most of the reunited Band material was not up to par with the high standards of the Robertson-era material, I have to say that I think the first half of JERICHO is excellent, as are a couple of tracks on HIGH ON THE HOG. Their final album, JUBILATION, is a nice, low-key coda. All in all, better than not hearing from the guys at all. I am quite saddened by the fact that all three voices have now been silenced.

Jay

15. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Three words: Creedence Clearwater Revisited

16. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Barry Gibb's quotes today indicate that he and Robin plan to continue as The Bee Gees.

I don't see why not. They are still The Brothers Gibb, after all. A little different than say, The Who or The Beach Boys.

17. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

The Doors (recently re-united).

18. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Grand Funk Railroad w/o Mark Farner ...and Mark Farner with any band other than GFR! ;)

Cat

19. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Aerosmith should have called it quits fourteen years ago.

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Re: Re: Bands that reunite (or keep going) that maybe shouldn't.

Yeah, for what it's worth, I enjoy Jericho more than any of Robertson's solo albums.

21. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

oh... I gotta disagree there. They put on a great show in New Orleans.

22. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Tony Bennet is still touring... wish he'd call it quits before I start calling him Tony "Has-Bennet"

23. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I'll second that. They should have called it quits after Perfect Strangers.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So he should break up?

25. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Balki and Cousin Larry??? When were they in Deep Purple???:confused: :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.