Bands Without a Weak or Bad Album.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ThePostElectroGranger, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Let's Active

Gavinyl and Victor/Victrola like this.
  2. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

No on both counts.

Big Star's fourth studio album, or half Big Star (Chilton & Stephens) and half Posies (Stringfellow & Auer) album "In Space", while not terrible is nowhere near the same quality as the 1970s recorded trio of Big Star albums.

As for The Beatles:

1 - Lots of people are saying that the Yellow Submarine soundtrack doesnt count as its not "a real album". Funny mine is 12 inches in diameter, plays at 33.3 RPM, and has a running time of somewhere between 35-40 minutes. Those facts, along with the fact that I paid full album price for it....
    But fine, just judge it on its four "new" songs alone then. 1 good Lennon song, 2 OK George Harrison songs and 1 of the worst songs McCartney ever wrote, so....

2 - if one still wants to argue "its not a real album" then fine - exhibit #2 - Let It Be - George contributed (or perhaps was only allowed to contribute) less than stellar material, which while not terrible songs, would likely have been considered substandard filler if included on his own superior ATMP solo album (For You Blue and I Me Mine). Lennon came to the sessions almost empty handed reviving a year old rejected recording and a 6 year old rejected song (although written much earlier even than that), a Frankensteined concoction of Lennon & McCartney stray song fragments (I've Got A Feeling), plus a loose, throwaway, heavily edited jam (credited to all but with Lennon as lead vocalist) and only one actual new song (Dig A Pony). Lennon's best (or better, since there were only 2) new song was omitted from the album to serve instead as the B-side to the album's "originally intended title track" which certainly didnt help the overall quality of the album itself.

3 - Beatles For Sale, was a tired step backward to the 8 original/6 covers template of the first two albums, but at least those albums offered a spark of excitement even at their weakest moments. This album had an unusual for The Beatles "going through the motions" feel about it that marred even its best songs. Ironically (or not - perhaps to avoid comparisons) its most exciting and energetic performance by a wide margin (Leave My Kitten Alone) was left on the cutting room floor.

4 - Help - cant blame the covers this time as there's only two of them (although Dizzie Miss Lizzie might be among their very worst ever EMI recorded/released cover songs). George had yet to write his first decent song (If I Needed Someone), here providing two mediocrities (as opposed to With The Beatles on which he included only one). Lennon wrote some of his worst ever lyrics (It's Only Love) and the first of McCartney's two worthy song contributions didn't appear on the album until track 12 (the third last song on the album).

MHP, Gavinyl, dino77 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I'd agree except for Mummer. I never could get into that album. But everything else by XTC is wonderful.

Gavinyl likes this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The Exploited.

5. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I think my choice would be Steely Dan - up to and including Gaucho. The later albums have their merits, but the magic is not quite there anymore.

Fullbug likes this.
  6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

No, it is not. Definitely one of the worst records ever issued by a major band with its creative principals intact.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    dino77, ibanez_ax, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  7. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

IITOD is the second best Led Zeppelin album, right behind House of the Holy. IMO.

Gavinyl and JohnnyQuest like this.
  8. Baba Oh Really

Let me fix that for ya: "Squeeze is a VU album, period."

Fullbug likes this.
  9. Baba Oh Really

Yes. No matter what anyone says, these are Doors albums.

klockwerk likes this.
  10. Baba Oh Really

AC/DC definitely is a shining example. Definitely.

11. duggan

duggan Senior Member

The Faces, only one classic album but the other three were all highly enjoyable.

jeffd7030 and linclink like this.
  12. Baba Oh Really

ABBA. Every album is majestic.

Aris and erikdavid5000 like this.
  13. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I love Mummer! The one album of theirs I really (and strongly) dislike is Wasp Star. I'm not a huge fan of Oranges and Lemons either, but I love everything else.

Gavinyl, Aris and shnaggletooth like this.
  14. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

I'm sorry you feel that way. We have to agree to disagree on that one.

15. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

XTC fits the bill thoroughly, a group called Magazine IMO also has not much weak material that was released.
    I would have to say that the Blur catalog has enough top shelf quality to nullify what was weak on a couple of their releases.

Ash76 likes this.
  16. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

If it hasn't already been said, The Pretenders.

Gavinyl and Tom Schreck like this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Man, I think "The Night Before" is one of Macca's three or four best pre-Pepper songs.

Kim Olesen and jon9091 like this.
  18. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

Galaxie 500

Gavinyl, cubbykat and Aris like this.
  19. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

SPOON! And still going strong.

Brudy likes this.
  20. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Dwight Yoakum
    Led Zeppelin
    Classic Aerosmith
    Classic Van Halen
    Alice In Chains
    The Beatles
    Classic Who
    Kate Bush
    The Smiths
    Classic Black Sabbath
    Dio Sabbath
    The Ian Gillian Band
    Classic UFO
    The Band
    Velvet Underground
    New Order
    Depeche Mode
    Joy Division
    David Sylvan
    maybe Bruce Springsteen?

Among others.

21. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

The Smiths
    Tears for Fears
    Spoon

Gavinyl likes this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

23. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Oh my...I I and I I I weak?

Physical Graffiti weak?

My life must be upside-down. Classics. Each one is an absolute milestone in hard rock history.

PG is the first modern metal album imo.

jeffd7030 likes this.
  24. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Actually it seems kind of silly to name the bands that have no weak or bad output, because it is totally subjective according to the listener.
    Unlike how value is assigned to vintage pressings or 3rd Man rarities in the marketplace, assigning 5 stars to a groups entire catalog suggests a bias based on really being a fan. I mention value in relation to music because for many reasons some pretty out of whack and serious pricing is often attached to crap that has nothing to do with if people really connect with the music but more on the hype of the rarity -many exceptions to that rule for sure.
    For me I see the good and bad in all the multiple releases of any group or artist that I own and I am a fan of all of it.
    Klunker releases eventually get the one song or two that I enjoy recorded onto a CD/hard drive and then dump it -or not.
    The original question might also be worded this way: what band are you so geekily in love with that you accept the crap releases and just dig it all...

Gavinyl likes this.
  25. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

The Smiths are the only one I could say with 100% conviction.

Gavinyl, Pavol Stromcek and Pancat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.