Bands you don't like that, given your taste in music, you really should like

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Judge Judy, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I don't think there are artists I "should" like.
    I know what I like and I like what I know.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  2. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

If you play Genesis [when they were great] albums at 45pm they sound like Iron Maiden albums. Steve's favorite album is Foxtrot.

Judge Judy likes this.
  3. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

Love The Dead and Allman Brothers but after trying many, many times I just don't get Phish.

Actually, I have come to terms with the idea that I really don't like jam bands all that much when for years I figured I should based on my love of the ABB, Dead, and Gov't Mule.

4. SG47

SG47 Forum Resident

I feel the same. I love the Allman Brothers but the Grateful Dead have never clicked for me. I'll probably give them another try at some point, sometimes things eventually do click in time.

Mainline461 likes this.
  5. recoverydog

recoverydog Forum Resident

Ryan Adams
    Jeff Buckley

6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Have you ever listened to Agnes Obel? I think she might be right up your alley. Listen to her debut album titled Philharmonics. Here's a sample.

Beast

DocBrown likes this.
  7. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

Based on my love of Beck, Morphine, Cake, and other 90's bands, Spotify REALLY wants me to check out Soul Coughing. I have never liked them and never will. I even saw them live back in the day and it just bores me to tears and I do not like the lead's voice.

8. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I'm a fan of melodic/progressive/power metal like Queensryche, Savatage, Crimson Glory, etc., but for some reason I never warmed to Dream Theater or Fates Warning. I've given both bands numerous tries over the years and never "got" what all the whoopy-doo was about in either case, so eventually I stopped trying.

9. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I should like Zappa more, but I don’t. The vocal stuff really turns me off but I do enjoy instrumental Zappa.

10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Love county-rock, not too fussed on Gram Parsons' contributions (Hickory Wind, aside).

Love folk-rock, never understood the reverence for Sandy Denny. She's fine folk singer but an ordinary folk-rock one, to my ears, at least.

11. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

The two that first come to mind for me:
    1. Led Zeppelin is my favorite band, but I'm not drawn to most other hard rock bands. I like AC/DC and Living Colour, and (somewhat strangely for this category) the Cult's mid to late '80s period as similar-sounding acts - but never been an Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Rush, Deep Purple, Kiss, Sabbath etc fan. I have lot of respect musically for those bands (well, most of them anyway); just never been able to get into them.
    2. I love Massive Attack, but never could get into Portishead, or even into Tricky's solo work. Something about Del Naja and Daddy G must just compel me in a way that genre doesn't when they're not involved.

JumpinJimF likes this.
  12. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

According to friends over the years, I should be a Tom Waits fan.

Man at C&A, Fullbug and Judge Judy like this.
  13. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

I'm a big jazz fan, but for some reason I don't really care for Sonny Rollins'music, even though I recognize that he is a tremendously gifted player.

drad dog and Dan Steele like this.
  14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You should check out Screamer if you haven't heard them. I discovered them a long time ago while trying to track things down that sounded like the first few Queensryche albums.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  15. SF Georgie

SF Georgie Forum Resident

Sonny Rollins
    Ornette Coleman
    Keith Jarrett
    Pat Metheny

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

How do you feel about Bjork?

17. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I like Squeeze, Sweet, Beatles, Stones, Who, and any number of power poppers but I only like Cheap Trick in small doses and so far can't get into Big Star at all.

18. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

I never got into Billy Joel or Bob Segar. Given my tastes, I should like them. I like a few singles but have never desired to own eith one of their albums.

Fullbug likes this.
  19. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I love Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and Nirvana, but I am less-than-enthused about Pearl Jam

I don't mind Tom Petty and John (Cougar) Mellencamp, but I despise Bruce Springsteen. In fact, I despise his music so much that I typed his name out as "Bruce Springfield" before I realized my error.

20. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

First thing that comes to mind is The Rasberries. I like a lot of stuff that people that like them like...Big Star, Cheap Trick, lots of power pop stuff..etc. But I just don't really hear it with them.

21. zen

zen Senior Member

:agree: All those jam bands don't have "the songs" ....the memorable tunes like the Dead do.

Chris S., Fullbug and RockRoom like this.
  22. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Lots of examples. Trying hard not to do any hating here, there are lost of talented and hard-working musicians I can't listen to and it's all personal taste after all.

I like Pink Floyd a lot in most of its incarnations, but have never ever enjoyed any other "prog" whatsoever (Genesis, Yes etc)
    I also like Zep a lot, but virtually no interest in any other "hard rock" (AC/DC, Aerosmith, Purple etc)
    Miles Davis is almost the only jazz I can listen to. And I listen to him a lot.
    I love Dylan and think The Band backed him brilliantly. Can't listen to them on their own though.
    I like most blues and blues rock but I've never wanted to listen to the Grateful Dead. I have tried.
    Love the Stones, and don't object to Faces (the Small version were better though). But solo Rod, sorry no.
    U2 - sorry guys
    Neil Young is fab (solo, with Horse, POTR and even in Buffalo), listen to him a lot. Never taken to CS&N though.
    Am sure many other examples will come...

Fullbug and bobc like this.
  23. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Exactly. I consider the ABB, GD their own separate entity. Yes, I get their influence on 'jam bands' but I do not like or listen to that type of music . IMO bands like Phish and others are too 'silly' and contrived for my taste. Not enough 'blues' and too much 'day glo'. I did see Phish 2 times in 1995 and left cold and never tried again. As mentioned above the songwriting is marginal for many of the jam bands.

I am a big fan of the Mule for the same reasons above.

Chris S. likes this.
  24. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I co-sign 100% on this. I even had someone say to me once that given what I like to listen to, it made "no sense" that I don't care for Gram Parsons.

carlwm likes this.
  25. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Foo Fighters

Given my taste in music, I should love them. But other than their hits, I just don't like them, not even a little. And it's not for not trying... for a while there, every few years I'd try to sit down and listen to some of their complete albums, but it never took. Now I've just given up. :)

metalrules likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.