Bands you don't like that, given your taste in music, you really should like

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Judge Judy, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

My Bloody Valentine
    Sonic Youth

2. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

[​IMG]

Kinda like the guy in this image. But wearing pants.

3. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Nothing is ever “straight down the line” when it comes to music tastes, and shouldn’t be.
    I like gritty, “streetwise” decadent rock, and garage rock, but I can’t stand Velvet Underground!
    It’s just personal taste.

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Given how much I enjoy most prog or even merely "proggy" bands from the '70s (from the poppier to the more experimental ends of the spectrum), I get the sense that I should like Pink Floyd (especially given that most others who share my tastes tend to worship them). But I have a strong negative reaction to what I perceive as their "bad-trip" bluesiness.

Also, like Mirror Image remarked above, I have been told repeatedly that I need to check out Zappa--and while the instrumental stuff I've heard can be impressive, I cannot get into the vocal material at all.

5. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Love Skynyrd. Can't stand Paul Rodgers/Free/Bad Company.

Fullbug likes this.
  6. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Dokken

Scandinavian melodic rock bands

Gotthard

7. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Plus, they only capture a tiny slice of what the Dead was about. I've always thought those jambands just listened to Franklin's Tower and said - "OK, this is what the Dead sound like, let's make every song sound exactly like that!"

ianuaditis and zen like this.
  8. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Kansas since I like Pavlov's Dog

In fairness the first band really felt close to the AOR isms that were unavoidable at a point - so did the latter however they had a dedicated Mellotron player and a vocalist like no other, plus, dare I say... a better sense of melody too.

9. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

Another one for My Bloody Valentine.

Given their reputation, how much I like, say, Mogwai, especially some of their noisier stuff (Like Herod from Government Commissions, which blows away the studio versions), or other "post-rock" and noise merchants, I figured MBV should be right up my street.

Bought a copy of Loveless and I find it unlistenable: I feel sick, as in about to throw up, from all that wobbly stuff, same sort of effect as being out in a 3m swell in the Atlantic in a Zodiac.

10. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Forum Resident

Guns n Roses - Band is good, but singer is as listenable as cats fornicating.

The Beatles - A few songs aside I just can't get into them. Strange considering two of my favorite bands (Cheap Trick, KISS) were influenced by them.

Fullbug likes this.
  11. Jethro Tull
    The Doors

I have tried but I just don't "get" either of these groups.

12. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

The Replacements

13. greenoort

greenoort Forum Resident

Spacemen 3.

14. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

They are not really that similar, particularly Free

15. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Vander Graff Generator-I like a fair amount of British prog, but this doesn't work for me.

Rufus rag likes this.
  16. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Van Halen-DLR era
    Iron Maiden- They cite their influences by all the bands I like
    Love Prog, especially YES & ELP but find most of Genesis too arty and unlistenable
    Similiarly with Rush, love AFTK, Hemispheres and Moving Pictures but anything either side of those albums is 'Meh'

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  17. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

It's Hammill's voice that kills it for me

18. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Rod Stewart

19. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

I love Sonic Youth and like Sunn 0))) so I thought.....Swans. I really thought I would like them and wanted to, but... the two albums I had (for a long time) never got any playtime after an initial runthrough - Children of God and Holy Money - so after one final spin I sold em this year.

Did their music change in later albums?
    I kinda regret I didn't 'get' Swans....

20. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Thank God for that. Ronnie was a huge fan/friend of Paul's, often name-checked him as an influence.

21. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

it's funny because freddie hubbard and gilberto gil are of my favorite artists ever!! i understand what's you are saying. music is not an exact science!!

22. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

Same here. A friend is a Phish phanatic and has tried to get me into them, moe, Umphrey's, and a few others, and they all do zilch for me.

23. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

i love gilberto gil, caetano veloso, tom zé, gal costa , tropicalia album but not os mutantes and rita lee!

24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I can think of one - sort of.

Kraftwerk.

Kraut rock, early Tangerine Dream, early Klaus Schulze, early electronic music, is all big in my home. I listen to it often.

Now it's not as though I dislike everything Kraftwerk have done. There are four good albums, their first three, and Autobahn are decent.

However, the band disown those first three albums, and their major success came after Autobahn (although Autobahn opened the door). I've tried to listen to their other, more popular works, but frankly, it's not happening.

25. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I'm a fan of minimalist electronica, but Monolake (who I should love) irritates me. I can't explain why.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.