"BANG! The Bert Berns Story" playing in Chicago - most important 60's figure you never heard of

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris DeVoe, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Here's the summary from South by Southwest:

Music meets the Mob in this biographical documentary, narrated by Steven Van Zandt, about the life and career of Bert Berns, the most important songwriter and record producer from the sixties that you never heard of. His hits include "Twist and Shout", "Hang On Sloopy", "Here Comes The Night" and "Piece Of My Heart." He helped launch the careers of Van Morrison and Neil Diamond and produced some of the greatest soul music ever made. Filmmaker Brett Berns brings his late father's story to the screen with interviews with those who knew him best and rare performance footage. Included in the film are interviews with Ronald Isley, Ben E. King, Solomon Burke, Van Morrison and Paul McCartney.
    It played tonight, May 23rd, and will play again the 24th at 6 PM and 25th at 7:45 PM at the Gene Siskel Film Center.

To catch some more attention, here is the introduction to his Wikipedia entry:

Bertrand Russell "Bert" Berns (November 8, 1929 – December 30, 1967), also known as Bert Russell and (occasionally) Russell Byrd, was an American songwriter and record producer of the 1960s. A pioneer of 1960s rock and soul, Berns made numerous contributions to popular music, including "Twist and Shout", "Piece of My Heart", "Brown Eyed Girl" (as a producer), "Here Comes the Night", "Hang On Sloopy", "Under the Boardwalk" and "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love".​

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. Chris DeVoe

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Great songs that he wrote.

4. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I don't think he's as obscure as the thread title implies.

rockinlazys likes this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

I posted this 14 hours ago and got not one reply.

Here.

On the Hoffman Forum.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Looks interesting. I think it was shown at the Rock Hall a few months ago. Wish I'd have done to see it.

There should be a documentary on the New York session musicians who on those great records.

7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

there was a new Bert Berns thread here just last week.

8. Chris DeVoe

Don't know why it didn't pop up when I searched for his name before posting this.

9. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  10. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Dang this looks good.
    Thanks to all that brought this to attention here.

gotblues and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Not to divert but Berns and Shadow Morton are overlooked.

12. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

There's actually two other current 'Berns' threads, although neither is lengthy. The problem may be that few people (or no-one) has seen the doc you referenced. I'm certain quite a few people here recognize the name.

13. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I'm waiting for the BluRay or Streaming option since I missed it in my local area.

14. Chris DeVoe

My wife is seeing it tonight at the Gene Siskel in Chicago. I'll try to catch it at the Tivoli in Kansas City.

15. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

+1

16. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

You want to see this doc about Bert Berns. You have these artists talking about working with him:
    Ronald Isley, Ben E King, Solomon Burke, Betty Harris, Wilson Pickett, Brenda Reid of the Exciters
    and Van Morrison. They all thought very highly of him -whether it was his song, his vocal coaching,
    the overall production, how "cool" he was. It was sincere, their smiling faces confirming their kind words.
    Lots of examples of his songs and productions in the doc, Highly recommended.
    However they missed this great song by Patti LaBelle and Bluebelles!

scousette and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Look forward to seeing it.

18. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I wish someone would dig up the Jerry Wexler documentary. Apparently some universities have it in their holdings and I would really like to see it. In lieu of that, this 4 part interview is good.

19. Chris DeVoe

My wife just saw it again tonight, she loved it so much.

20. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

hopefully this can get distributed worldwide somehow. sometimes these things are not made available
    to purchase.

21. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

i hope you guys got the 3 volumes of the Ace songwriter serie dedicated to Bert Berns , its an american music treasure !!

Ace Records

22. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Looks amazing.

23. shutdown66

shutdown66 Forum Resident

24. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I’m very interested in Bert’s story and have been aware of him for a long time. Bang Records was his label and he penned quite a few classic songs. He has a checkered past like many music business figures. I haven’t seen the film yet but I plan to.

One of the interesting things about this film is Van Morrison’s participation. Bert was to Van what Allen Klein was to the Beatles. I’m many ways helpful to Van’s success and in other ways his nemesis. After years of bitterness over not getting any royalties for Brown Eyed Girl Van seems to have finally reconciled his conflicted feelings about Bert and is willing to give him some respect.

Definitely a fascinating character that was key to the 1960’s music scene.

25. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Read the book several yrs ago; saw the movie in Nashville 4-5 mos. back, w/Q&A featuring his son,Brett, and daughter Cassandra--both lovely people.

The movie is great, a labor of love, filled with priceless history.

Getting Van to call him a genius on camera--no small feat!

if I'm not mistaken, up on iTunes recently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.