Barenaked Ladies "Everything To Everyone" DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mike Dow, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music Thread Starter

Just a brief note about the new limited edition version of the new BNL set.
    The DVD is excellent! In addition to band interviews, the complete album remixed into 5.1 and the "should be a single" Yes!, Yes!!, Yes!!!, you also get an intimate in-studio acoustic performance from the band on 11 cuts. The songs are superb, the recording is excellent and the group is having a blast. A very small audience is in the room with them. If you like BNL, you will not be disappointed!:thumbsup:

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The album itself didn't connect with me upon first listen until I watched the DVD performance. That really opened it up for me. Definitely worth the extra bux.

Although I think "Take It Outside" should've been the single...not sure about the whole chimpanzee thing of "Another Postcard".

3. Mike Dow

I agree Reechie, the acoustic versions reveal what great songs these are. There is so much going on in some of the studio versions, I wasn't able to take it all in at first. I think I overlooked the fact that these are some of the best-written songs they have come up with yet. I love the metaphors that live in the lyrics of "Aluminum" (just one example of many).

One of the cool things about watching the extras on the DVD: Being a fly on the wall and watching the band voting process on what songs will make it to the album and which of their babies has to be cut. I can't believe that "Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!" only received two votes and was cut from the final lineup. Luckily, it was rescued for the DVD where you can hear it in all of it's 5.1 glory. It sounds like an obvious hit to me (kind of like "One Week" when I first heard it).

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I kind of wonder if they choose their singles based on what songs are similar to "One Week." "Another Postcard" once again features that double-timed rap-like meter that Ed Robertson uses quite often. They seem to have forgotten that it was the melodic songs like "The Old Apartment" and "Brian Wilson" that got them noticed in the first place.

Still, I'm amazed at how far these guys have come since I first latched on to them back in '93 when Gordon was released. The new album definitely sounded good to me when I gave it another spin over the weekend.

5. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

I have been looking for the CD/DVD package. Is it specifically marked CD/DVD. I see lots of packs with a bonus disc but it looks like it only contains acoustic versions of 3 songs.

Thanks
    Bob

6. Mike Dow

Bob-
    Yes, it is specifically marked CD and DVD. It is a much thicker package--a double fold open set. It is also a few dollars more than the regular CD but well worth it! I had to ask a BB employee to dig one up for me. It was buried with the other BNL CDs in the regular bins. The local store only had five copies of the limited edition package--total.

7. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

Thanks for the info....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.