"Batman" (Adam West TV show) on DVD Update

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John DeAngelis, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honestly, there is less perceived demand for the Green Hornet series on home video. Batman is the most popular comic book character on the planet and his last movie topped a billion in box office. The Green Hornet movie flopped badly.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Agreed, and I'm a major 1966 Green Hornet fan.

Be thankful for the Batman episode that features the Hornet, and Kato :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0519458/

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

who cares about the movie? Were talking Bruce Lee!

4. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

As for The Green Hornet, you need to consider who owns the character.

Before the movie opened, the company that owns the character had YouTube remove all uploads of the TV show and ban the people who uploaded them. (WB has been more lax in getting Batman episodes off YouTube.)

I think we're talking apples and oranges when it comes to the rights of these two shows.

5. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'm watching the Batman (1966) movie again...and I forgot all about the exploding shark ..that's what I call entertainment:D

PhantomStranger likes this.
  6. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Will Batman be fully uncut? Do we know yet?

7. These will be the original network episodes as presented back in the '60s...fans have waited 17 years for them to reach the optical disc formats and fanboys would riot in the stores if they were tampered with from their original intended presentations...

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I fondly remember the great color palette of this show! the colors popped!

9. woody

woody Forum Resident

Thought it looked good on IFC today, but only saw 60 seconds or so on my parents' tv, meaning it probably looks even better on properly adjusted sets.

10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I recorded a couple and unfortunately they weren't the new HD transfers. They didn't look bad though.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not sure if Bruce Wayne was Jewish or a Gentile.

jimbutsu, fishcane, NUNZI and 11 others like this.
  12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

THE GREEN HORNET never had a very good chance of attracting an audience with a stupid teaser-trailer like this:

SEE THE GREEN HORNET AND KATO REMOVE BARRICADES!

And then they buried the show on Friday night.

Harry

13. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I'm sure that I've said this elsewhere but , not for nothing, even we kids back in 1967 knew that Kato should have kicked Robin's ass, hands down. :)

14. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I watched and loved BATMAN re-runs as a kid in the late 70s-mid 80s, but never saw GREEN HORNET. No stations I had ran it, and I only rarely would come across
    a mention in books. Never saw a bit of it until the early FX ran it in the 90s. We didn't have that channel until much later, and it was only by the grace of a friend visiting
    his father in another state and taping an episode or two that I was able to finally see what the show was all about. I was in either high school or college at the time, and found
    the show to be pretty dull, with a fairly stiff lead. For me, the only glimmer of light was Bruce Lee, and even then his brief fight scenes were nowhere near as interesting as his
    films (no big surprise there). I have to imagine that folks my age and younger have little to no knowledge of THE GREEN HORNET, beyond the recent film that nobody had
    much interest in.

So, I'd echo the sentiments above that there isn't much of a market for THE GREEN HORNET on video beyond original fans of the show and Bruce Lee fans. That said, I'd probably
    pick it up just to finally be able to see the entire series after hearing about it for so long.

15. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Speaking of BATMAN, this is really cool -- a new BATMAN slot machine based on the show!

16. Totally uncut episodes.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  17. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Thanks!

18. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

19. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

The ones shown today looked much better than those on July 4. If the powers that be know what's best, they BETTER have these episodes out UNCUT and intact. Since the show is being offered as a complete set, lots of $$$ will be spent on this. And please......NO WATERMARKS!

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  20. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I'm hoping there won't be any alterations because of clearance issues, etc. Imagine if a climb up the side of the building is edited to excise an "out the window" cameo.....

22. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Just got this shirt yesterday at Macy's:

"Bat-selfie!"
    [​IMG]

MRamble likes this.
  23. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Regarding the upcoming release, here's something you may not have considered... proper speed. Quite often, the show was sped up for syndication to make more room for commercials. Part of the charm was the deliberate pace they took. Looking forward to that aspect.
    Speaking of commercials, wouldn't it be great to see some of the original ads included? I remember this one in particular, and always associated it with Batman:

I know that THIS will never happen, but it is a fun thought.

chacha likes this.
  24. EasterEverywhere

I watched the show when it first ran,and the ads I associate with 1966 Batman were more things like Burry's Cookies.

[​IMG]

25. EasterEverywhere

I find this rather creepy.We need a bonus disc of stuff like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.