BBC America axed EastEnders.....

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Todd Fredericks, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

BBC America pulled the show with only a last minute announcement during the final broadcast. I have to admit it but I've been hooked on this show for many, many years. Anyway, there's an online petition to try and get it back.

EastEnders Petition

2. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

I didn't even know that Eastender's was on BBC America.
    I thought it was just Groundforce, Changing Rooms, So Graham Norton and More Groundforce. And as much as I like the look of the plumped out Charlie Dimmock (sp), BBC America ain't the BBC I know and love. That's why the missus and I drink our Sunday morning cuppa to the Corrie omnibus on CBC. That said, I wish I'd known. Jeff

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

If BBC Canada pulls it, my wife will FREAK!!!!!!!!!!

When PBS Buffalo pulled it, I thought she was gonna off herself....then BBC Canada started up a few years ago......and as soon as those drums start at the beginning...it's "SSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"
    I leave the room!

4. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Switch over to Corrie--way, way better. Jeff

5. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

what WAS Eastenders?

6. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Mikey,
    It still IS a British soap based in the East End of London. Its main competitor is the Manchester-based Coronation Street (referred to as "Corrie" in above posts). English soaps are unique from American soaps in that they are much more realistic, not everyone is beautiful, the soaps take place in real time, and they often use outdoor sets (as opposed to American soaps which use the same studio lighting regardless of time of day or time of year).

Eastenders was shown on PBS for years (and still is in many parts of the US). On PBS, I believe, it is some years behind current plotlines in England. On BBC America, it is less than a year or so behind.

Cliff - born and raised in east London :) , now residing in Toronto.

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Ahh...thank you Cliff!!

Do I remember that Peter Noone was on "Coronation Street" in the 70s?

8. Todd Fredericks

Another great thing about a lot of British soaps is that there is no cheesy music during scenes (like on US soaps). Usually, the only music heard is over a radio playing in the background.

I've been watching the show since 1987. When I was a teenager (back then) I used to conduct on-camera interviews with some of the actors/producers for British programs for WNYC Ch.31 (now defunct for several years) as filler between programs/promotion. WNYC was the first US station to kick off the show here. Wow, I used to be so productive in my salad days (what happened?!).....

Todd

9. xios

xios Senior Member

Damn! and Dirty Den is back on the show after 13 years!

10. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Well, we are way behind the Brits for Corrie.....but yesterday's episode......whew!!!!!!! I won't say anything in case some of you watch it all Sunday morning!!!!! Be prepared!!!!!:D

11. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Daved, we're omnibus people here, so we appreciate your reticence, but it wouldn't have anything to do with a certain Mr. Hillman?
    Also, as someone once said, Brit soaps are about poor people, while US soaps are about the rich.
    Another piped in that most viewers of British soaps could get the same efect by placing a mirror in the place of the TV. I hope this isn't true.
    Jeff
    Me thinks the Southern Ontario Hoffmanites ought to repair one evening to the Rovers.

http://www.corrie.net/

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    hee hee!!!!

13. Todd Fredericks

I've just finished watching the first week of Den's return and very well done..... :)

Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.