Beach Boys 409 query for Steve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btomarra, Apr 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

Steve,

I bought a double LP from Holland around 1979 called (I think) Beach Boys Bests 40 Greatest Hits. On the first side of the first Lp was what sounded like a stereo mix of 409. the vocals appeared to be different in the two channels. Interestingly, on the liner notes to the Little Deuce Coupe CD it says 409 made its stereo debut on that LP.

Is this duophonic? Or did they go back and overdub vocals to the original track and create a stereo mix?

Brian

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Duo-phony.

3. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Not Steve, but I can say that, although the "liner notes" do indeed state that it WAS issued in STEREO....THEY LIE LIKE DOGS!!!

Actually, this is one of those songs that is NOT stereo!

On your lp that you mentioned, it is NOT stereo either! Typical "Duophonic" magic was bestowed upon it. Enjoy whatever one sounds good to you! I'm a STEREO guy, but prefer the MONO version of this song.

The original release of Little Deuce Coupe/All Summer Long (Capitol CD) has it in TRUE..............MONO!;)

Now, Shut Down Part 2 was issued in STEREO! Oh, you're not interested in THAT one, eh?! :rolleyes:

4. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

What Steve said!:D

5. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

They lie like dogs

That's for sure. How many LPs said stereo and were actually fake - countless! MGM stuff - Animals, Herman's Hermits, some James Brown on King LPs (Mighty Instrumentals), Wild Honey (Beach Boys), Kinks Greatest Hits and others on Reprise LP. Any others?

6. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Shut Down Vol. 2

Yes, it was stereo, but I'm still confused about Why Do Fools Fall In Love - mono, rechanneled, narrow stereo? And if so, why? Denny's Drums was mono. BTW, did Brian Wilson ever comment on the duophonic butchery of his work?

7. Steve Hoffman

It was Brian's fault. He didn't want to make stereo mixes for Capitol, so Capitol made their own. They asked him many times to do it but he said NO! So, when MONO LP's were cut out of the catalog in 1967, the ONLY VERSIONS LEFT THAT WE COULD BUY of the mono stuff was in Capitol Duo-phonic. Brian should have made stereo mixes of everything. Quite short-sighted of him. EVEN "WILD HONEY" had to be issued in fake stereo, and that was issued AFTER mono LP's were no longer being made. Sheesh.

"Why Do Fools Fall In Love" was recorded at Gold Star Recording Studios by Larry Levine (Phil Spector's engineer). Brian wanted the final mix mono just like his idol!

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Re: They lie like dogs

JB's MIGHTY INSTRUMENTALS has another irony: while they were issuing a fake stereo version of the Lp, there were jukebox 45's issued with at least some of that material in true stereo. Strrrrrrrrrange.....:eek:

ED:cool:

9. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

Thanks, Steve.

I might have known. Duophony for sure. That's why it is in mono on the Spirit of America DCC.

Brian

10. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Re: Shut Down Vol. 2

Why Do Fools Fall In Love is MONO on Surfer Girl/Shut Down Vol.2!!!

I believe it is MONO everywhere, but would have to check further.

The (Beach Boys) Stereo /Mono "issue" has ALWAYS been screwy (as in, why THIS and not THAT?).

11. xios

xios Senior Member

No one's ever released the 45 version of "Why Do Fools..." on CD- different opening to the song. Also for Steve- "Wild Honey" album was issued in mono in the US- not as easy to find as the rechannelled one, though.

12. Steve Hoffman

First of all, the "45 version" of "Fools" just has the middle part spliced on as the intro. Same song, same performance, just some fancy editing on the part of Capitol's John Kraus.

As for "Wild Honey", I didn't know that. I've never seen an original press mono version in all of my travels!

13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Not only that, but when Capitol reissued the Beach Boys LP's as "Twofers", he STILL would not make a stereo mix of Beach Boys Today!

14. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I've got one, in addition to a (fake) stereo copy. The mono one sounds awful -- muffled beyond words. The fake-stereo one, with the mono button pushed in on my old Marantz 2230, actually sounds better ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.