Beach Boys Hybrid SACD (Acoustic Sounds)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Feb 25, 2015.

1. daytripper09

daytripper09 Well-Known Member

According to Music Direct the next 3 SACDs are Sunflower, Surf's Up, & Holland with We Got Love added as a bonus track.

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I just checked their website and I see no indication that those three are next. Can you please post where you saw that?

3. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I am not a Beach Boys expert but re the Sandoval disc Wikipedia says it's a different version from the one on 20/20...."single version, with workshop effects coda."

4. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

I believe that's because the album version was always fake stereo - even on the original Capitol vinyl. And Wiki's wrong about the version on the Sandoval disc - there is no workshop coda.

5. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

Sandoval's is the mono single mix of Do It Again. No Workshop coda. Made In USA CD/album also has a nice sounding version on it of the single version.

Jason Manley and GetHappy!! like this.
  6. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Apologies - my bad!....Wikipedia says: "Single version, without workshop effects coda".....

I never wanted to be a copy typist anyway....:)

I see that Wikipedia also says the only true stereo version is on the Made in California boxset...which I have not heard...tempting but expensive.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  7. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member Thread Starter

The mono mix for "Do It Again" also appears on the most recent "Greatest Hits" from 2012 and the "50 Big Ones" set. FYI. I agree with drbeachboy though...the version on Made In USA (mono single) is very nice sounding, maybe the nicest, frankly

The recent releases in HD make wonder how far are they going to go with these. Who mastered the ones that aren't labeled with Kevin Gray's name is another question.

bobcat likes this.
  8. daytripper09

When I ordered the first 5 Beach Boys SACDs the posted on my order, would you like to order these up & coming SACDS.

9. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

The story goes, back in the day, they lost the stereo master (flew out the back of Stephen Desper's Corvette down Coldwater Canyon way) and had to use a mono fold-down test mix for the single. This was then cement mixered (electronically re-channeled for stereo) for 20/20.

The multi's reappeared a few years ago (apparently they disappeared during the preparation of Stack-o-Tracks) and a stereo mix was presented on MIC (which I quite like) - nice separation on the instrumentation.

- A

Lost In The Flood and bobcat like this.
  10. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Where did you get your information that it's instead, rather than, as well?

11. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Instead, "so far", sorry. I have no info that the SACDs will not be released.

12. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was pretty sure that CD was actually a mix of really narrowed stereo for Side 2 and a fold-down for Side 1 plus single mix of "Little Saint Nick". In fact, a LOT of the CD reissues of that album were like that, actually, and:

1) I'm pretty sure that the only proper release of the stereo mix sans folding and narrowing was on the 1998 Sandoval-produced Ultimate Christmas CD and subsequent 2004 reissue that deleted one track, "Christmastime is Here Again".
    2) I'm also sure that the only proper reissue of the mono mix was last year's vinyl reissue. I think this HD release is actually the first digital reissue of the mono mix...

There should be one way to check if it's (both the CD and HD release) the true mono mix, though don't quote me on this. "Merry Christmas Baby" should fade out prematurely on the mono mix, unlike with the stereo which actually gets to repeat the chorus again.

Pants Party and supermd like this.
  13. daytripper09

If you punch in the Beach Boys at Music Direct, they are showing TBA, B/B Today, Summer Days & Summer Nights, Party, All Summer Long, Sunflower, Surf's Up, & Holland. Better save your money for all SACDS.

14. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Yes, I think you're correct. Just did a quick check. Definitely a narrow stereo, and the fade on MCB is normal, I believe, not quick. So I guess this is some sort of remix, for whatever reason. Don't think I like it anymore! :shake:

15. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member Thread Starter

Just a head's up...

HD Tracks has added "All Summer Long". No mention if it's mastered by Kevin Gray or not, though.

http://www.hdtracks.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=beach+boys

Also, they have added "Friends" and "20/20" which last week weren't there but were on the other HD site posted elsewhere in this thread. Think I'm still going to hold out for a physical release though rather than buy anymore downloads - for now.

16. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

Me too, and I've always liked super jewel cases.

17. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

Slightly O/T but is there any indication when the next set of mono LPs are coming out? I pre-ordered All Summer Long, Today and Summer Days from Acoustic Sounds eons ago.

18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I think we need to split these threads up as there is no evidence that these downloads have nothing to do with Kevin Gray's SACD masterings and any discussion of the actual SACD discs are totally lost in the shuffle now.

19. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

To bring it slightly back on topic -- I'm thinking of picking up the downloads of the albums NOT slated for Kevin's mastering via APO's SACDs: Friends, Wild Honey, 20/20 and the mono/stereo Beach Boys' Christmas album. I see no downside here -- these were NEVER planned to be released via APO/SACD (that we know of). So this is a good call to me. And the samples sound niiiiiiiice. And there's a 20% off coupon available at the moment.

There's also downloads for Beach Boys Concert and Live in London. Though I'm not sure I can bring myself to pay $20 bux each for these. That's $20 EACH, mind you.

But, I agree with the others who want a physical product -- and the albums due (and currently out) on SACD via Analogue Productions make much more sense.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  20. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

It's also available from Acoustic Sounds so I feel that it's safe to assume that Kevin Gray mastered it.

21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Screw downloads, those are for kids. They better release those early 70's albums in physical SACD format.

bobcat likes this.
  22. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I thought the delay for All Summer Long may have been due to an exhaustive search for an excellent tape search for "Don't Back Down" in mono. If that was the reason for the delay, it would seem that they finally gave up. It does not sound good on the new hi-res DL. My go-to source is still The Beach Boys Single Collection.

Furthermore, I only just noticed that Steve's master of "All Summer Long" on Endless Summer has an extended fade- that remains my go-to source for that song.

23. Sir Cosmic

Sir Cosmic Active Member

I don't know, having the raw Hi-def file used to make the SACD is pretty enticing.

24. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

FWIW, All Summer Long does not look like a DSD conversion to me. The other releases on HDTracks that credited Kevin Gray did.

I bought the first 5 SACD's so can't speak to those HDTracks releases, but for the later releases, these look like DSD conversions to me (tell tale noise hump over 30K)...

Presumed DSD sourced (as I bought the SACD)
    ------------------------------------
    Surfin' Safari (credits Kevin Gray)
    Surfin' USA (credits Kevin Gray)
    Surfer Girl (credits Kevin Gray)
    Little Deuce Coupe (credits Kevin Gray)
    Shut Down, Vol 2. (credits Kevin Gray)

DSD sourced
    ----------------
    The Beach Boys Today! (credits Kevin Gray)
    Summer Days (and Summer Nights) (does not credit Kevin Gray)
    Beach Boys' Party! (credits Kevin Gray)
    Smiley Smile (does not credit Kevin Gray)

NOT DSD sources
    ----------------------
    All Summer Long
    The Beach Boys' Christmas Album
    Wild Honey
    Friends
    20/20

It will be interesting to see when the SACD is released if All Summer Long has two different masterings.

25. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Steve remixed that song. He even used less compression too.

NOS300B likes this.