Beach Boys Hybrid SACD (Acoustic Sounds)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Feb 25, 2015.

1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I want Love You really badly, but 15 ranks far lower. I'll still buy it, though.

Ludger likes this.
  2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

If they ever go back and do the 2nd batch of missing albums, I'd love a collection of songs left off, such as the single version of "Little Saint Nick," "Little Girl I Once Knew," "The Lord's Prayer," and any other single variations/b-sides.

tonewheeltom, Will Harris and Shawn like this.
  3. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

I've only played it a couple of times. The two-fer sounds very good to me. Peter Reum mentioned on a message board that they sounded great, so I decided to try one. The bump is in how the Japanese manufacture discs so that they sound better, if nothing else. I haven't compared the sound waves to see if they match. I'd bet it's not the same as the American release I have. It is not compressed.

The booklet lists: All tracks 24-bit Digitally Re-mastered, 2000 Brother Records, Inc. The strange edit of a booklet still refers to Holland in one spot, and that it is a compilation on the rear cover. The release date: 08/6/11(2000/8/14). The booklet also says: TOCP- 54099 on the back page, and the same on the spine! Only on the disc is the reference to what it really is: UICY-25602. I suspect they used the old packaging.

I buy a lot of Japanese releases to get the mini-sleeves, which I like to collect. If they do a re-master, they usually say so in the Japanese booklet, and list who did it. This does not. But sometimes a record will get it's only re-mastering on Japan only releases. They did a wonderful job on Art Garfunkel's albums, some with bonus cuts. Just recently, they re-mastered both Souther Hillman Furay albums - they blow the old mastering out of the water. So, you never really know what you are going to get until you stick it in the player.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Please list your gear in your equipment profile. Thanks.

teag likes this.
  5. Will Harris

Sorry to be so lazy. I'll get right to it. I know it's important.

6. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

So the same mastering as the two-fers, just SHM-CD. Good to know I don't need to re-buy the whole catalog one more time!

7. Will Harris

Done. Thanks for pushin' me to do it. That's a lot of blanks to fill in!

8. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

I think I got all of them but Party. I really don't need that I have it in digital. I have not gotten a chance to listen to this, but I finally just got all of them 20% off because I don't really like the two fers from so long ago. They were okay but just seems too harsh.

I hope these bare better in that way.

Anyway, can someone tell me what they prefer for pet sounds between the AP SACD and the Bluray or CD version of the 50th?

9. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

AP SACD. It's excellent for stereo.

10. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Well I just got done listening to All Summer Long and yeah these sound pretty awesome. Even if there is a tad less detail all the harshness seems gone. I really like what they did.

Will have to directly compare to some of my twofers at some point.

11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Glad your first impressions were enjoyable. I have to think that detail will come back with your volume knob turning to the right :righton:

12. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Are the DCC versions of Endless Summer and Spirit of America obsolete now that we have these SACD's?

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Yes.

:hide:

However, 'Spirit of America' has "Breakaway", which isn't part of the SACD reissues.

14. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Let us not forget The Little Girl I Once Knew.

Spazaru likes this.
  15. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

It's a crime that the bonus tracks from the 2 fers aren't on the 2012 reissues. Some of those early bonus tracks stand with their best work. "I Do", "All Dressed Up for School" especially.

16. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Hell no. They are still worthwhile as a different listening experience, and as others have noted, there are tracks not included on the SACD's.

17. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I'm confused in regards to the DCC Endless Summer disc.
    I thought that version used single mixes of songs which were sometimes different from the album mixes.
    Is this correct or am I mistaken?

18. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

The DCCs hold up.

19. Cassetto

Cassetto Member

Just ordering Surf's Up and Sunflower now. Just so I'm clear, is the SACD layer an identifiable, distinct quad mix and the CD layer stereo? Sorry if this has been covered before, it's a huge thread. Some reading early on in the thread left me confused.

20. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

The SACD layer has both the stereo and quad mix, so you'll need to tell your player which one to play.

21. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

To understand what your getting with this quad disc you do need to go back and read the thread, specifically Steven Desper's posts. He was one of the original engineers. Basically all your getting is an upmix. The recording was originally intended for two channel surrounded sound. My guess is you could do better by running the stereo portion of the disc through the SpecWeb upmixer and obtain a better multichannel upmix. I may try that soon and compare the two. Just wanted to let you know the quad mix isn't true discreet four channel. The stereo was run through a processor because at the time of release they thought it had encoded four channel material which it didn't.

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Heads up for anyone still beating around the bush- Acoustic Sounds is having a half price sale and selling both the SACDs and LPs for half price! Run, don't walk!

23. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Thanks!!

art likes this.
  24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yes, thank you! I grabbed the last 4 I didn't have. What a steal.

Would it be too crazy to hope that this discount is in some way tied to a Wave 2?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    SOONERFAN likes this.
  25. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Thanks for the heads up! Best birthday present ever. Have the SACDs but now will have Surfer Girl through Surf's Up on vinyl. Have a nice original Holland and the SACD, so I thought it best to stop there.