Beach Boys Live Recordings 70s

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PetSmile, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PetSmile

PetSmile Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not really seeking out live recordings from the 70s as I can easily play them on Youtube, but just out of curiosity who is in possession of any of these recordings: Beach Boys - YouTube . I'm curious as to what is available online these days to download, and what your thoughts are of this particular era of theirs. That version of Take a Load Off Your Feet (Live) is a very special rarity.

melstapler likes this.
  2. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I absolutely love live 70's Beach Boys! Especially 72-73, but before and after as well. It's one of the elements that has kept me such a huge fan all of these years. - Though I'm quite sure that "Take a Load Off Your Feet" is not the 70's. It's mostly like the 93 Box Set tour, based on Carl's voice, the acoustic guitar and the synth sounds.

melstapler, Rick Bartlett and theMess like this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The Beach Boys/EMI have a lot of 1970's era multitrack live reels in the vaults. With the copyright expiration for those recordings coming right around the corner, and with The Beach Boys' recent history of meeting the copyright deadline with both physical and iTunes releases, I suspect all of those wonderful 1972/1973/1975 recordings in the archives will finally be released in the upcoming years.

4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Wonderful news! I would splash out for a 70’s boxset containing the live recordings any day of the week.

5. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Hopefully, that means they can pot down Mike Love's inane banter during the instrumental segments.

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Indeed you are correct, that 93' promotional box set tour presented other great rarities like Vegetables, Add Some Music To Your Day,
    Wonderful and All This Is That.

PhoffiFozz and melstapler like this.
  7. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I would say most classic rock groups have not done much of anything to block their concerts from being traded freely on the internet bit torrent sites. The Beach Boys are the big exception, they don't allow it. And don't even consider trying to sell a Beach Boys bootleg on ebay, it will get deleted.

8. Rick Bartlett

Glad I got in early before they caught on! Occasionally one falls through the cracks....

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  9. Rick Bartlett

10. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Similarly, I would like to see gratuitous Mike Love hate mixed out of Beach Boys threads that don’t call for it!

11. ShockControl

You are conflating two unrelated things.

12. Rick Bartlett

I don't understand what that means?

13. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I saw them do this as a a kid, and even then it was a WTF moment.
    PS Who is playing the tambourine and singing up front ?

14. Rick Bartlett

Not sure there, but it does look a bit like Ricci Martin..

15. ShockControl

Criticizing a frontman for stepping all over intros and instrumental passages is not the same as "hating" the singer. Another member seemed to be correlating the two.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  16. Rick Bartlett

Ah Ok, Thankyou for explaining. Cheers!

17. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

Oh, I dunno - sounds good to me (despite the awfully stretched tape). I guess they just knew a "groove" when they heard it, and were excited to play it. Sure, out of character, but as a band full of great musicians (very much including the additional touring members), they probably just really enjoyed having the chance to stretch out and play this.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  18. Rick Bartlett

oh dear, Mike Love on 'Good Timin'? Carl is there so wtf?..... oh look, there's BW!
    and Bruce on electric? interesting!

Calico likes this.
  19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

There’s plenty from the 1971-73 era that I’d love to hear.

theMess and Rick Bartlett like this.
  20. pool_of_tears

No thread calls for it.

ajsmith likes this.
  21. pool_of_tears

If you’ve heard any of the early 1970’s stuff, you’d know he reeled in the banter.

22. Bill

Bill Senior Member

As a long time fan (since Surfin!) these clips underscore to me how much all of them, including Mike, persevered through the lean years to continue to try to entertain. Jeez, that telethon clip is from nearly 40 years ago, and they are still at it. Of course they had long since ceased to create new hit music, but they kept on, notwithstanding snappy new suits and hats and lame stage moves. Still do- I saw the Love version this summer and the audience all left happy. Gotta admire that.

23. pool_of_tears

Well said!

24. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

My holy grail is the live version of “Surf’s Up” from the early 70s. The audience recording is absolutely awe inspiring. But I’m sure if they had it on multitrack, it would have already been released.

25. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

There is one legit BT site where BB live shows seem to appear from time to time. Many years I snagged the Wally Heider show (1967) and several other shows from the November 1967 tour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.