Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" DCC tape deck question & the story of the original recording.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

I heard the DCC Pet Sounds CD for the first time today. Wow!! Much better than the other versions (3) I have of it. It sounds bigger, fuller and more pleasing.

I've been searching the archives but have yet to find what I'm looking for. I know this version is a flat transfer of the tapes, even bypassing the console.(!) I'm curious if they were played back on a tube machine or solid state. I'm also curious about the converters used but I understand this may be information Steve doesn't want to reveal.

Anyway, it was such a pleasure to listen to Pet Sounds this way. I wish more mastering engineers had the understanding I got when I heard this today... less is more. This is a perfect example.

2. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Re: Pet Sounds playback machine question.

QUOTE]Originally posted by yesman
    I'm curious if they were played back on a tube machine or solid state. [/QUOTE]

i am pretty sure that Steve used a tube machine.

3. Jamie Tate

I'm asking because Steve made a comment about one of the McCartney or 10cc discs (I can't remember) last week. It was something like, if he played it back on a tube machine it would've been mush. I wonder if he used a solid state machine to keep this mushless.

4. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

Steve said that the George Harrison-produced tracks on Badfinger's "Straight Up" would have turned to mush had he played them on a tube-powered tape machine.

I think (think, I say) that Steve used a tube machine to play back "Pet Sounds"...

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Actually, that's an ATR-100 electronic assembly modified with one Telefunken 12AX7 with a Studer A-80 transport. Basically, if you took the original Chuck Britz full track mono master tape and played it back on your friggin' $500 used Teac reel to reel it would sound almost as good.

WHY ALL OTHER CD VERSIONS WERE MASTERED TO SOUND SO BLANCHED AND UN-MUSICAL IS A MYSTERY TO ME. Are we here alone in being in awe of the original sound of the original mono mix? What is this obsession to knob twiddle stuff to death until the original musical vision is obscured or lost completely?

End of short rant. Glad you liked my version.:)

Bluebair and Mr. H like this.
  6. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

What is exactly wrong with the mono CD included with the Pet Sounds Sessions Box?

I do not hear any noise reduction on it (the 1990 CD was the one which suffered from that), and loud mastering is not something Mark Linnet would do. Is it too much compression?

7. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Jamie,

I am still in awe of this disc everytime that I listen to it! I have other masterings of the MONO mix and Steve is correct - they sound 'unmusical' in comparsion. You have to hear it to believe it. One feels like they 'are' listening to the final MONO mixdown master. The sound is rich, full, layered and there is warm body - beautifully Analog....

Bob:)

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Uh-oh....Bob's up early again....hope you're not catching "Ed's insomnia disease," I don't recommend it....:sigh:

Steve's PET SOUNDS is very singular, to be sure. Once again, it comes down to trusting the sound of the original master and Brian's intentions, instead of doing a lot of futzing around in the name of 'spiffing it up,' which, as anyone who has copied music to reel-to-reel or cassette knows, sounds good while you're doing it, but down the road you realize it was best left alone. Pre-Eq'ing, as I like to call it, worked when I was adjusting for the limited dynamics of my car tape deck, but those same tapes were utterly worthless played back on the main system, which tends to work best when everything is played back flat, with only the mildest adjustments depending on the source material. It's one thing to pump up the woofer a little, or add a touch of top if something seems lacking, but to do it when recording a tape copy seems to be what modern engineers enjoy best, thus robbing us of making that decision for ourselves. Who wants to keep adjusting Eq every time a different CD gets popped in the player? Ridiculous, but that's the way most stuff seems to be mastered now. That, and relentless NR and who knows what else.

Buy that PET SOUNDS now if you don't have a copy; it'll likely never sound so honest to the source again.

ED:cool:

9. Ere

Ere Senior Member

funny this should come up...

Two weeks ago a friend of mine came over with his smaller Paradigms so I could demo them on my system. One of the CDs he brought with him was the Capitol version of Pet Sounds with the mono and stereo mixes on one disc. He was raving about how much better he thought the latter version was. I left him have his say and then placed the DCC version in the deck, hit play, and watched his jaw drop:) Even on my system it sounds so much more organic and real, not processed and brittle like the Capitol. I told him about Steve's approach to mastering and this forum and I believe he may soon be among the converted:thumbsup:

Ere

10. Jamie Tate

I'm saying!

Comparing these CDs should be day 1 of mastering school.

11. Jamie Tate

That was it. Thanks.

12. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I won an Ebay DCC Pet Sounds auction over the weekend, now i'm patiently :rolleyes: awaiting delivery.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

John, if you don't mind me asking, what are copies going for these days?

14. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Ended at $41. I was hoping it would stay around $20 to $30 but that's the way it goes. Well done classic music by Mr. H can be hard to come by.

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Hey that's not bad at all! It's only $9 more than what it sold for in stores. With albums like this, I have no problem paying a premium because I truely feel that there's a 99.9% chance a better sounding version will see the light of day. :)

16. Steve Hoffman

Yes, just like Brian INTENDED it to sound.

Bluebair likes this.
  17. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

One of my fave (and first) DCC gold CDs!

18. Steve Hoffman

Brad Elliot's great notes on how PET SOUNDS was made:

In December 1964, The Beach Boys were riding high in the music world. It had been a spectacular year for them. They had placed four singles in the Top 10, one album in the Top 20, another in the Top 10 and currently had the Number One album in the country -- Beach Boys Concert.

For The Beach Boys -- brothers Brian, Dennis and Carl Wilson; cousin Mike Love; and friend Alan Jardine, all of suburban Hawthorne, California -- life should have been sweet indeed. But underneath the success, there were real problems. The group had fired the Wilsons' domineering father, Murry, as their manager back in April. While that removed a major source of emotional stress from their lives, it also meant that other pressures came to rest even heavier on Brian, the group's principal songwriter and producer of their records.

Brian did not respond well to the added pressure. He began to withdraw, spending more and more time alone. He complained of stomachaches, headaches and fatigue. In November, after boarding a flight to Australia for a concert tour, Brian had experienced a panic attack.

On Dec. 7, Brian married 16-year-old Marilyn Rovell. Then, just a few short weeks into life as a newlywed, only days before Christmas, Brian had to leave for a three-week tour with The Beach Boys.

"We were on tour December 23rd," Brian described several years later. "The plane had been in the air only five minutes. I told Al Jardine that I was going to crack up any minute. He told me to cool it. Then I started crying. I put a pillow over my face and began screaming and yelling... I just let myself go completely... I was coming apart. The rubber band had stretched as far as it would go."

1964 ended with only four Beach Boys on the road, as the rest of the group finished the tour without Brian.

At home, with the other Beach Boys away, without the demands of traveling from city to city day after day, Brian could concentrate his energies on the creation of music. His first task was to finish another album for Capitol.

The sessions for what would be released in March 1965 as The Beach Boys Today! had begun in the summer. In the can were more than a half dozen tracks, but it was a long way from a completed album. With the Beach Boys on the road, Brian enlisted the cream of Los Angeles' studio musicians as his regular band and cut a series of adventurously orchestrated tracks in the first two weeks of 1965. The tracks not only completed the Today album, but effectively foreshadowed the instrumental approach that would blossom to full flower a year later. The tracks were more structurally complex than any of Brian's previous efforts.

When the group came off the road mid-month, Brian brought them into the studio to add vocals. Then he dropped a bombshell. He no longer wanted to tour; he wanted to devote himself totally to making records. "I told them I foresee a beautiful future for the Beach Boys group," Brian recalled, "but the only way we could achieve it was if they did their job and I did mine. They would have to get a replacement for me."

It was not a decision that came lightly to Brian or that was readily accepted by the others, but Brian stood his ground. "I felt I had no choice. I was run down mentally and emotionally because I was running around, jumping on jets, one-night stands, also producing, writing, arranging, singing, planning, teaching."

Brian wouldn't tour regularly with the group again until 1976. Replaced on the road first by session guitarist Glen Campbell (several years away from his successful solo career) and then songwriter/producer Bruce Johnston, Brian finally had all the creative time he needed.

In March, The Beach Boys Today! was released. In sequencing the album, Brian made a distinction between the group's hit sounds and the more introspective material to which his muse was drawing him. On the first side of the album, he placed all of the upbeat songs. On side two, he placed a group of slower, softer songs that echoed his thoughts and feelings, forming almost a suite of orchestrated, mature emotional music. That concept was one he would return to in earnest a year later.

In the spring of 1965, Brian and his coterie of session players were again hard at work on The Beach Boys' next album, to be released in July as Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!). More of a mixed bag than Today, Summer Days nevertheless featured several songs in which Brian further developed a mature expression of his concerns. Lyrically, both Let Him Run Wild and You're So Good To Me were portents of songs he would create over the next year, while Summer Means New Love was an orchestrated, almost symphonic instrumental, a major step forward from the surf guitar numbers he'd included on previous albums.

Following the release of Summer Days, however, Brian seemed to be foundering, in search of a creative direction. In early July, following up on a suggestion made by Alan Jardine, Brian cut a track on the West Indies folk song, The John B. Sails, a.k.a. Sloop John B. "I thought it would be a great song for us to do," Alan recalled. "Brian was at the piano. I asked him if I could sit down and show him something. He wasn't into folk music, so what I did was to play it for him in the Beach Boys idiom. I figured if I gave it to him in the right light, he might end up believing in it. I put some minor changes in there, and it stretched out the possibilities from a vocal point of view."

To Jardine's surprise, Brian had paid attention. On July 12, Brian cut a track for the song with his regular crew of session musicians. "I got a phone call to come down to the studio," Alan remembered. "Brian played the song for me, and I was blown away... I played some chords, he came back and arranged an entire symphony around it." But after laying down a rough lead vocal for the song, Brian put it aside unfinished.

The summer passed without any other ventures into the recording studio. By the end of the summer, Capitol Records was asking Brian for an album for the coming Christmas buying season. But Brian was at a loss for new material. Then he hit on the idea of doing a live album in the studio -- not with the group standing in front of microphones running through their repertoire of hits, but something a bit different ... a "party" album, where it would appear that the group and their friends were sitting around with guitars and sodas and chips and singing their favorite oldies. It was a seemingly ideal solution -- it could be done quickly, and Brian didn't have to worry about writing new songs and crafting arrangements for them.

In September, over the course of five sessions at Western Recorders, The Beach Boys (supplemented only by session drummer Hal Blaine on bongos and percussion) ran through several hours of informal performances, touching on more than two dozen songs. After overdubbing party noises on the 13 tracks selected for inclusion, Beach Boys' Party! was turned in to Capitol and set for release the second week of November.

With that monkey off his back, Brian finally seemed to break his creative block. On Oct. 13, he cut the track for a new single, The Little Girl I Once Knew, then called The Beach Boys in to do vocals a week-and-half later. An excellent pop/rock production, the song was characterized by a radical stop-and-go arrangement that brought the melody and rhythm to a halt twice in the song.

Despite the song's obvious noncommercial aspects, it headed up the charts promptly upon its release in mid-November. Then, unexpectedly, Capitol rush-released the infectious Barbara Ann, from the Party album, as a single. Disc jockeys all across the country had been playing the song off the album. Capitol could smell a monster hit and moved to strike immediately, instead of waiting for The Little Girl I Once Knew to ascend to the top and then begin its descent down the charts. With the release of Barbara Ann, the upward motion of The Little Girl I Once Knew was halted, and the record topped out at #20. Barbara Ann, in the meantime, began a climb to the #2 spot.

But all of that was still a couple of months away. On Nov. 1, Brian was back at his favorite studio, Western Recorders, for a full day of recording. He laid down instrumental tracks for a song that looked back on the simpler times of his youth, In My Childhood, and for an untitled number that would be dubbed Trombone Dixie for its heavy use of horns.

But Brian's muse proved fleeting and he soon was stretching for inspiration. On Nov. 18, he cut an instrumental he initially called Run James Run, intending it for possible use in a James Bond movie.

Finally, in December, Brian found his inspiration. He heard the new Beatles album, Rubber Soul, and reacted as never before. "When I first heard it, I flipped," Brian recalled. "I said, 'I want to make an album like that.'" What he heard was, as he described it, "a whole album with all good stuff."

"I really wasn't quite ready for the unity," he explained. "It felt like it all belonged together. Rubber Soul was a collection of songs ... that somehow went together like no album ever made before, and I was very impressed. I said, 'That's it. I really am challenged to do a great album.'"

Brian returned first to the track that he had left waiting since July -- Sloop John B. He cut the group's vocal on Dec. 22, then returned to the studio alone on Dec. 29, recording a new lead vocal with revised lyrics, losing much of the Caribbean patois that had characterized the song in its previous folk incarnation.

With his creative juices flowing, Brian began looking for the last piece of the puzzle -- a collaborator. "He doesn't really like to work alone, as far as writing," explained Marilyn. "It wasn't fun working by yourself."

At the time, Tony Asher was working for an advertising agency in Los Angeles, writing commercial jingles. His path had crossed Brian's several months earlier in one of Hollywood's many recording studios.

"I ran into Brian at a session I was doing for a commercial jingle in connection with my advertising job," Asher recalled. "Brian was doing some demos of something or other. We ran into each other in the hall. We started chatting, and he asked me to take a listen to what he had been doing. He then went into the studio to play something for me on the piano. I played a couple of things for him, and that was pretty much it. Frankly, I never expected to hear from him again.

"A few weeks later, I got a phone call, and Brian said, 'Listen, I have an album that is overdue. Would you ... want to help me write it?' I thought it was somebody in the office playing a joke on me. I said, 'You gotta be kidding.'" And then pretty quickly I was convinced it was him.

"It was such an absurd notion. He didn't really know anything about my writing abilities except that we had exchanged some ideas on songs when I was in the studio with him. Apparently, he had some input from some mutual friends about my abilities as a 'wordsmith,' as a copywriter and as a lyricist. But for me, it seemed like it was out of the blue and it was just quite hard to imagine."

Asher took an unpaid leave of absence from his job, and he and Brian began writing early in January 1966.

"We started work within a week or ten days of the phone call from Brian," he remembered, "and worked off and on for quite a few weeks straight. I think my original 'leave of absence' from work was supposed to be two to three weeks.

"When I first went to his house, we spent a little time just talking. [Then] he played me some of the tracks that they'd recorded. There were a number of tracks, some of which had had lyrics written to them and indeed vocals recorded to them, but which for one reason or another didn't meet with Brian's expectations. One of the things we listened to, for example, was Sloop John B, which was completed... There was also You Still Believe In Me; I believe it was called In My Childhood at the time, [but] Brian never let me hear the lyric to it."

Brian gave Asher a cassette of In My Childhood to work on initially. "That was a good way to start things off," Asher said. "It's a great luxury -- at least for a lyricist -- to write to tracks because you have a much better sense of what the musical mood of the song it. And here was a case where it was real clear what Brian had in mind."

After Asher completed lyrics for the track, he and Brian turned their attention to a group of new songs that Brian was composing.

"In most cases, Brian was just playing riffs on the piano, ideas that were anywhere from tiny fragments of a song to completed melodies," Asher explained. "When I heard one that seemed to lend itself to an idea, I would throw out a lyric idea. Not a lyric, you understand. An idea for the direction a lyric might take... In a couple of cases, Brian had an idea for a partial lyric or for the lyric to what would be called 'the hook' of the song."

By the end of a typical songwriting session, Brian and Asher would have "a pretty complete melody, partial lyrics and a kind of bridge, and some other stuff," Asher recalled. "I'd go home at night and work on the lyrics a little bit and bring them back the next day.

"Brian didn't really write lyrics to the songs; he edited them. That means he might have simply said that he didn't like a particular line. I would then have tried to convince him of its merit, if I felt strongly about it, or I would have written an alternate in an attempt to get closer to what he seemed to be after. None of this is to say that he didn't supply words to some of the songs. He did. But his role was more to react to what I did after I did it, rather than to direct it before it occurred or even as it was occurring."

"It's fair to say that the general tenor of the lyrics was always his," Asher summarized, "and the actual choice of words was usually mine. I was really just his interpreter."

Brian recognized that the songs he and Asher were composing were different from anything previously associated with The Beach Boys. Asher recalled, "At the end of singing through one of the songs, he said, 'Boy, people are going to know that this is a Tony Asher lyric,' And I said, 'What do you mean?' He said, 'It's just not like anything that we've done before."

Brian soon headed to the studio to cut tracks for the new songs. Working at Western Recorders with his favorite engineer, Chuck Britz, he laid down tracks for half a dozen new songs in January and early February.

And then The Beach Boys came home from a three-week tour of Japan and Hawaii. What they found, though, was quite unexpected.

"We came back, and there was Pet Sounds sitting there for us to do," Alan recalled. "There was this masterpiece sitting there, kind of an uncut gem. And we're going, 'Wow, hmm, what's up, Brian?' 'Oh, I got this little esoteric piece of work I want you to hear.' Really, it was a whole new horizon for us. We were a surfing group when we left the country, and now basically we came back to this new music. And it took some getting used to."

"The group was less than enthusiastic about the material," reported Asher. "[The Beach Boys] were hoping and expecting more of what had been hits for them all along... They had just returned from a very successful tour. So they didn't see the wisdom in changing the 'formula.'"

"With Pet Sounds, there was resistance," Brian explained. "There was a little bit of intergroup struggle. It was resolved in that they figured it was a showcase for Brian Wilson, but it [still] was The Beach Boys. In other words, they gave in."

With the group on board, there were a lot of details to be attended to -- cover art, title, track lineup, etc.

On the morning of Feb. 15, the group assembled in the Petting Zoo at the San Diego Zoo for the cover photo session. The photos of The Beach Boys feeding an assortment of goats was a play on the album's chosen title, Pet Sounds. The title came from the idea that the sounds heard on the album were Brian's "pet," or favorite, sounds.

Exactly who came up with the idea for the title is disputed. Brian has credited Carl. Carl, on the other hand, thought it was Brian: "The idea he had was that everybody has these sounds that they love, and this was a collection of [his] 'pet sounds.' It was hard to think of a name for the album, because you sure couldn't call it Shut Down Vol. 3."

Mike also has laid claim to coming up with the title. "We were standing in the hallway in one of the recording studios, either Western or Columbia, and we didn't have a title," he recounted. "We had taken pictures at the zoo and ... there were animal sounds on the record, and we were thinking, well, it's our favorite music of that time, so [I said], 'Why don't we call it Pet Sounds.'"

Two days after the photo shoot, Brian was back in the studio with his usual assemblage of session musicians working on a track for the latest Wilson-Asher composition, Good Vibrations.

Already, a definite conception of the Pet Sounds album was forming in Brian's mind. Around Feb. 23, he provided Capitol a list of 10 tracks that would form the core of the album -- Wouldn't It Be Nice, Caroline No, Good Vibrations, You Still Believe In Me, That's Not Me, Hang On To Your Ego, Sloop John B, The Old Man And The Baby, Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times. He indicated two more selections would be added to the album -- one an instrumental, the other an as-yet-untitled vocal track.

The inclusion of Sloop John B in the early track listing is significant because it has long been rumored that Brian was forced, against his wishes, to include the song -- a #3 hit -- on the album. But in late February, Sloop John B was still a month away from release as a single. Neither Capitol nor Brian could have had any idea how successful it might be. The track listing proves the inclusion of Sloop John B on Pet Sounds was strictly Brian's choice.

In the weeks that followed, Brian continued to fine tune the album. Good Vibrations was dropped from consideration. Hang On To Your Ego became I Know There's An Answer. The Old Man And The Baby was retitled Let's Go Away For Awhile.

The decision to withhold Good Vibrations from the album was a surprise to The Beach Boys. "At the time, we all had assumed that Good Vibrations was going to be on the album, but Brian decided to hold it out," recalled Alan. "It was a judgment call on his part; we felt otherwise but left the ultimate decision up to him."

Simply put, Brian wanted to lavish more attention on the song. After Pet Sounds was finished, he would focus his full attention on it, eventually spending six months preparing it for release as a single.

With most of the necessary instrumental tracks recorded for Pet Sounds, the month of March and the first half of April 1966 were devoted primarily to vocals. A few more songs were tracked -- I'm Waiting For The Day, God Only Knows and Here Today -- but the emphasis was on getting the vocals recorded.

"We really worked our buns off on those," declared Mike. "We worked and worked on the harmonies and, if there was the slightest little hint of a sharp or a flat, it wouldn't go on. We would do it over again until it was right. [Brian] was going for every subtle nuance that you could conceivably think of. Every voice had to be right, every voice and its resonance and tonality had to be right. The timing had to be right. The timbre of the voices just had to be correct, according to how he felt. And then he might, the next day, completely throw that out and we might have to do it over again."

"We spent so much time perfecting the vocals," admitted Alan, "that I think I got turned off of the album, just by the sheer volume of work we did on it."

The album was completed in mid-April and submitted to Capitol shortly thereafter. Brian was immensely pleased with the end result. "I was very proud of that album," he declared. "The reason we made Pet Sounds was because we specialized in certain sounds. It was our best -- the songs were our pet sounds."

The album was not unsuccessful. Caroline No, released as a solo single credited to Brian Wilson, went to #32 in the United States. Sloop John B was a #3 single in the U.S. and a #2 single in Great Britain. Wouldn't It Be Nice charted at #8 in the U.S., while its flip side, God Only Knows, was a #2 single in Britain. The album broke into the Top Ten in the U.S. and just missed the top spot in Britain.

Yet, in the United States, the performance of Pet Sounds was slightly off the mark that had been set by its predecessors. It was the group's first studio album in three years not to be certified as a Gold Record. In the years since its release, the blame has been laid on Capitol Records for failing to understand and support the record to the degree they might have.

"At Capitol Records, I think they were a little bit afraid of it," theorized Carl some years later. "They probably thought they would lose a market, or a segment of people."

"This album was so radical compared to the really nice, commercial Barbara Ann's that we had been making, that they had been so successful in selling, that they just wanted more," explained Bruce. "They didn't promote Pet Sounds, because they said that it wasn't commercial and the people wouldn't understand it. Capitol just didn't think that this was the direction that we should take, so they didn't promote it."

"They just kind of put it out," asserted Mike. "But it kept building and building. Now, it seems that it's a lot of people's favorite album."

No less a talent than Paul McCartney has proclaimed it a personal favorite. "It was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water," he recounted in 1990. "I love the album so much."

The Beatles' producer, George Martin, also has sung the praises of the album. "The first time I heard Pet Sounds," he recalled, "I got that kind of feeling that happens less and less as one gets older and more blase ... that moment when something comes along and blows your mind. Hearing Pet Sounds gave me the kind of feeling that raises the hairs on the back of your neck and you say, 'What is that? It's fantastic!' It gives you an elation that is beyond logic."

In 1995, nearly 30 years after the album was released, a panel of some of the most successful musicians, songwriters and producers in rock music was assembled by Britain's MOJO magazine to determine the "Greatest Album Ever Made." When the balloting was completed, the winner was Pet Sounds.

"It certainly was a groundbreaking album," Carl reflected several years ago. "It was just so much more than a record; it had such a spiritual quality. It wasn't going in and doing another top ten. It had so much more meaning than that."

And, of course, it still does.

Surf's up!

SESSION NOTES:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds album originally was released on May 16, 1966, as Capitol album T 2458. It entered the Billboard "Top LPs" chart on May 28, 1966, was on the chart for 39 weeks, and peaked at #10 on July 2, 1966.
    All tracks produced and arranged by Brian Wilson.
    All tracks engineered by Chuck Britz, except as noted

1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
    (Brian Wilson, Tony Asher, Mike Love)
    Lead vocals: Brian Wilson (verses), Mike Love (bridge).
    Instrumental track recorded Jan. 22, 1965 at Gold Star Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA; engineered by Larry Levine.
    Vocals recorded March-April 1966 at Columbia Studios, Hollywood, CA; engineered by Ralph Balantin.
    Released July 18, 1966 as Capitol single 5706.
    Entered Billboard "Hot 100" July 30, 1966; on chart 11 weeks; peaked at #8 Sept. 17, 1966.

Wouldn't It Be Nice expresses "the need to have the freedom to live with somebody," according to Brian. "The idea is, the more we talk about it, the more we want it, but let's talk about it anyway." The song is "one of the few" for which Tony Asher wrote the lyric by himself. "I took the tape home and came back a day or two later with the lyric completed," he recalled. Mike Love's writing credit is for the "Good night, my baby / Sleep tight, my baby" lines in the song's fade.

The backing vocals on the song were especially problematic for the group during recording. "We re-recorded our vocals so many times, [but] the rhythm was never right," recounted Bruce. "We would slave at Western for a few days, singing this thing, and [Brian would say], 'No, it's not right, it's not right.' One time, he had a 4-track Scully [tape recorder] sent to his home, but that didn't really work out."

2. You Still Believe In Me
    (Brian Wilson, Tony Asher)
    Lead vocal: Brian Wilson.
    Instrumental track recorded Nov. 1, 1965 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.
    Instrumental introduction recorded Jan. 24, 1966 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.
    Vocals recorded January-February 1966 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.

The track for what eventually became You Still Believe In Me was recorded with the title In My Childhood, which explains the bicycle bell and horn heard on the track. When Tony Asher began his collaboration with Brian, the track for In My Childhood was one of the first things Brian played for him. Brian had discarded the melody and lyrics that had been written for the song, then used the chord changes heard in the track for a new melody, to which Asher wrote the lyrics for You Still Believe in Me. The backing track retained the bell and horn sounds because, as Asher explained, "It had already been combined with the rest of the track and couldn't be removed or even de-emphasized."

The introduction to the track was recorded by Brian and Asher several months after the rest of the track. "We were trying to do something that would sound sort of, I guess, like a harpsichord but a little more ethereal than that," Asher recalled. "I am plucking the strings by leaning inside the piano and Brian is holding down the notes on the keyboard so they will ring when I pluck them. I plucked the strings with paper clips, hairpins, bobby pins and several others things until Brian got the sound he wanted."

3. That's Not Me
    Lead vocals: Mike Love (verses); Mike Love and Brian Wilson (chorus).
    Basic track recorded Feb. 15, 1966 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.
    Additional instrumentation recorded February or March 1966 at Western Recorders, CA.
    Vocals recorded February or March 1966 at Western Recorders, CA.

"I think That's Not Me reveals a lot about myself," Brian said in 1976. "Just the idea that you're going to look at yourself and say, 'Hey, now look, that's not me,' kind of square off with yourself and say, 'This is me, that's not me.'"

That's Not Me is the only song on Pet Sounds on which The Beach Boys played the basic track. Brian filled out the sparse track (only drums, organ, guitar and tambourine) with overdubs from several of his usual crew of session players.

Interestingly, That's Not Me is the only song on Pet Sounds that does not feature strings, horns or woodwinds.

4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
    Instrumental track and lead vocal recorded Feb. 11, 1966 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.
    String overdub recorded April 3, 1966 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA; engineered by H. Bowen David.

Don't Talk is one of two Brian Wilson solo recordings on Pet Sounds (the other is Caroline, No). Brian sings the lead vocal by himself, and there are no backing vocals.

Writing the song proved challenging, Tony Asher recalled. "It's an interesting notion to sit down and try and write a lyric about not talking. That came out of one of those conversations where [Brian and I] were talking about dating experiences... I think at some point we were talking about how wonderful non-verbal communication can be between people."

One of the defining moments of the track for Don't Talk is the point at about 1:50 into the song where the bass line simulates the beating of a heart after Brian implores, "Listen, listen, listen."

5. I'm Waiting For The Day
    (Brian Wilson, Mike Love)
    Instrumental track and string overdub recorded March 6, 1966 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.
    Vocals recorded March 1966 at Columbia Studios, Hollywood, CA; engineered by Ralph Balantin.

I'm Waiting For The Day originally was copyrighted on Feb. 1, 1964, with only slightly different lyrics. Late in the sessions for Pet Sounds, apparently in need of another song, Brian reached back for this previously-unrecorded song.

Brian has indicated that I'm Waiting For The Day is "the one cut off the album I didn't really like that much... It's not a case of liking or not liking it; it was an appropriate song, a very, very positive song. I just didn't like my voice on that particular song."

6. Let's Go Away For Awhile
    (Brian Wilson)
    Recorded Jan. 18, 1966 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.
    String and flute overdubs recorded Jan. 19, 1966 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.
    Released Oct. 10, 1966 as the B-side of Capitol single 5676 (Good Vibrations).

Originally recorded with the designation Untitled Ballad, this song apparently had several tentative titles before Brian settled on Let's Go Away For Awhile. A Feb. 23, 1966 Capitol memo lists the song by the title The Old Man And The Baby. And Tony Asher recalled Brian having an acetate disc of the track bearing another title.

"There was an album out called How to Speak Hip ... a lampooning of the language instruction albums," Asher explained. "I played it for Brian, and it destroyed him, killed him. Brian picked up a couple of references on the album. One of them was this hip character that said if everyone were 'laid back and cool, then we'd have world peace.' So Brian started going around saying, 'Hey, would somebody get me a candy bar, and then we'll have world peace.'" Asher said Brian "even made an acetate disc with a label on it with the title. He talked about calling Let's Go Away For Awhile 'And Then We'll Have World Peace.'"

The track is very special to Brian. In 1967, he stated, "I think that the track Let's Go Away For Awhile is the most satisfying piece of music I have ever made. I applied a certain set of dynamics through the arrangement and the mixing and got a full musical extension of what I'd planned during the earliest stages of the theme. The total effect is ... 'let's go away for awhile,' which is something everyone in the world must have said at some time or another. Most of us don't go away, but it's still a nice thought. The track was supposed to be the backing for a vocal, but I decided to leave it alone. It stands up well alone."

Despite Brian's claim that the track was supposed to be the backing for a vocal, there is no evidence that lyrics were ever written for it. Asher recalls that he and Brian talked about writing lyrics for the song, but never did.

7. Sloop John B.
    (Traditional, arranged by Brian Wilson)
    Lead vocals: Brian Wilson, Mike Love.
    Instrumental track recorded July 12, 1965 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.
    Vocals recorded Dec. 22, 1965 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.
    New lead vocals and 12-string electric guitar overdub recorded Dec. 29, 1965 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.
    High harmony lead and additional backing vocals recorded January 1966. at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.
    Released March 21, 1966 as Capitol single 5602.
    Entered Billboard "Hot 100" April 2, 1966; on chart 11 weeks; peaked at #3 May 7, 1966.

Alan Jardine's love of the Kingston Trio's version of this early 20th century West Indies tune led him to suggest to Brian that the group cover it. And the group's first vocal attempts were very true to the original folk version, featuring more Caribbean dialect in the lyrics than heard in the released version.

Sloop John B is unique among the tracks on Pet Sounds in that it was cut on three-track tape, then bounced two more generations on four-track tape to open up a sufficient number of tracks for vocals and overdubs. Every other track on Pet Sounds was cut originally on four-track tape, then bounced only once, to either another four-track or to an eight-track tape.

Guitarist Billy Strange was brought back into the studio by Brian for an overdub more than five months after participating in the original tracking session. "I had just gotten a divorce," he explained, "and I had my son one day a month. I had gone to pick up my son, and [Brian] tracked me down at my ex-wife's house in the Hollywood Hills. He said, 'You gotta come down to Western 3 right now and see if there's something you can do on it.' I said, 'I have my son, and I don't have a guitar.' He said, 'Don't worry about it.' So we went there, and he played it for me. He said, 'What I need is an electric 12-string guitar solo right here.' I said, 'Brian, I don't even own an electric 12-string.'

"So he called Glen Wallichs at home, the owner of Wallichs Music City. They got a Fender 12-string and a Fender Twin amplifier, brought it the studio. I tuned it up. I made one pass at this thing, it was either eight or 16 bars, and Brian was happy with it. He said, 'That's it.' He reached into his pocket and pulled out a wad of bills and gave me $500 and said, 'Don't forget to take your guitar and amplifier.'"

8. God Only Knows
    Lead vocal: Carl Wilson.
    Instrumental track recorded March 10, 1966 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.
    Vocals recorded March-April 1966 at Columbia Studios, Hollywood, CA; engineered by Ralph Balantin.
    Released July 18, 1966 as the B-side of Capitol single 5706 (Wouldn't It Be Nice).
    Entered Billboard "Hot 100" Aug. 12, 1966; on chart 8 weeks; peaked at #39 Sept. 24, 1966.

Even during the writing of the song, Brian and Tony Asher knew God Only Knows was going to be something special. "I really thought it was going to be everything it was," recalled Asher, "and yet we were taking some real chances with it. First of all, the lyric opens by saying, 'I may not always love you,' which is a very unusual way to start a love song."

"We did have this concern about using the word 'God' in the lyric at that time," Asher admitted. "It was a relatively controversial thing. And I think we would have given it up if we could have come up with absolutely anything else that would have satisfied us. In the end, I think it remained simply because we just couldn't come up with anything better."

For many listeners, the most distinctive aspect of the track is the French horn. "Brian came up to me and sang me the line," remembered horn player Alan Robinson. "He seemed to come up with it on the spot... Absolutely a wonderful line, and I played it. Then, he suggested that I play it glissando [gliding rapidly through the tones]. You can do a sweep on the French horn and get all the harmonic notes in between, maybe eight or nine tones between the five notes."

During the recording of the track, Brian had trouble getting the bridge to sound right. Pianist Don Randi suggested that it be played staccato, which produced the effect that Brian wanted.

When it came time to lay down a lead vocal, Brian tapped younger brother Carl to do the honors. "I thought I was gonna do it ... but when we completed creating the song, I said my brother Carl will probably be able to impart the message better than I could... I was looking for a tenderness and a sweetness which I knew Carl had in himself as well as in his voice."

The final defining moment for the song was the creation of the ending vocal round. "At one point," Bruce Johnston recalled, "he had all The Beach Boys, Terry Melcher and two of the Rovell sisters [Brian's wife, Marilyn, and her sister Diane] on it. It just got so overloaded, it was nuts. So he was smart enough to peel it all back, and he held voices back to the bridge, me at the top end, Carl in the middle and Brian on the bottom... He was right to peel everybody back and wind up with the three parts."

But, ultimately, there were only two voices heard in the round. "At the end of the session, Carl was really tired, and he went home," Bruce continued. "There were just the two of us. So, in the fade, [Brian]'s singing two of the three parts. He sang the top and the bottom part, and I sang the middle."

9. I Know There's An Answer
    (Brian Wilson, Terry Sachen, Mike Love)
    Lead vocals: Mike Love and Alan Jardine (verses); Brian Wilson (chorus).
    Instrumental track recorded Feb. 9, 1966 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.
    Vocals recorded February-March 1966 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.

I Know There's An Answer began life as Hang On To Your Ego, a song with the same verses, but a different chorus. A version of Ego with Brian's guide vocal and no backing vocals is included as a bonus track on this album.

The original lyrics created quite a stir within the group. "I was aware that Brian was beginning to experiment with LSD and other psychedelics," explained Mike. "The prevailing drug jargon at the time had it that doses of LSD would shatter your ego, as if that were a positive thing... I wasn't interested in taking acid or getting rid of my ego."

Alan recalled that the decision to change the lyrics was ultimately Brian's. "Brian was very concerned. He wanted to know what we thought about it. To be honest, I don't think we even knew what an ego was... Finally Brian decided, 'Forget it. I'm changing the lyrics. There's too much controversy.'"

Terry Sachen, who co-wrote the lyrics to this song, was the Beach Boys' road manager in 1966.

10. Here Today
    Lead vocal: Mike Love.
    Instrumental track recorded March 11, 1966 at Sunset Sound, Hollywood, CA; engineered by Bruce Botnick.
    Vocals recorded March 25, 1966 at Columbia Studios, Hollywood, CA; engineered by Ralph Balantin.

Here Today was the last song started for the Pet Sounds album. When the instrumental track was recorded March 11, it was logged as I Don't Have A Title Yet, likely a reflection of some of the confusion surrounding its writing.

"That's a song that has a number of little sections to it that are quite different," explained Tony Asher. "It was not one of the easier songs to write on the album. It was, as I recall, a song that I wrote quite a lot to, much of which we didn't use. It was sort of a struggle before we got a lyric that Brian was happy with."

Among knowledgeable fans, Here Today probably is most discussed for the talking that can be heard at various points in the background. During the instrumental bridge, there is a conversation between Bruce Johnston and a photographer about cameras. Then, Brian says, "Top, please," which was an instruction to the engineer to rewind the tape to the beginning of the song so the group could attempt another take of the vocals.

11. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
    Instrumental track recorded Feb. 14, 1966 at Gold Star Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA; engineered by Larry Levine.

According to Brian, I Just Wasn't Made for These Times reflects his life and his feeling that he doesn't fit in with society. For Tony Asher, that presented a problem.

"In many of the other songs, when Brian would express a feeling, I would say, 'Oh, yes, I've had those feelings,'" Asher explained, "maybe not in the same way or the same degree, but I understood them. But this one I didn't relate to. It was more trying to interpret what he was feeling than having this joint feeling in our various ways."

I Just Wasn't Made For These Times features Brian's first experimentation with a theremin, probably the very first time it had been used on a rock record. "I was so scared of Theremins when I was a kid," admitted Brian, "the thing about the '40s mystery movies where they had those kind of witchy sounds. I don't know how I ever arrived at the place where I'd want to get one -- but we got it." Dr. Paul Tanner played the theremin on both I Just Wasn't Made For These Times and the single that followed Pet Sounds, Good Vibrations, on which Brian continued his experimentation with the instrument.

Dennis originally was slated to sing I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, but when the lead vocal finally was put on tape, it was Brian doing the singing. Perhaps not coincidentally, the lead vocal session for I Just Wasn't Made For These Times was the last documented session for the Pet Sounds album -- April 13 at Columbia Studios.

12. Pet Sounds
    (Brian Wilson)
    Recorded Nov. 17, 1965 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.

Pet Sounds began life under the title Run James Run, although that was never considered a firm title. The session sheet for the recording date carries the notation, "This is a working title only."

"It was supposed to be a James Bond theme type of song," explained Brian. "We were gonna try to get it to the James Bond people. But we thought it would never happen, so we put it on the album."

The unique percussion sound heard on the track is drummer Ritchie Frost playing two empty Coca-Cola cans, at Brian's suggestion.

13. Caroline, No
    Recorded Jan. 31, 1966 at Western Recorders, Hollywood, CA.
    Released March 7, 1966 as Capitol single 5610, by Brian Wilson.
    Entered Billboard "Hot 100": March 26, 1966; on chart 7 weeks; peaked at #32 April 30, 1966.

Brian has called Caroline No "one of the prettiest, most personal songs" he's ever written. "Caroline No concerned growing up and the loss of innocence," he explained. "I'd reminisced to Tony [Asher] about my high school crush on [blonde cheerleader] Carol Mountain and sighed, 'If I saw her today, I'd probably think, God, she's lost something, because growing up does that to people.' But the song was most influenced by the changes Marilyn and I had gone through. We were young, Marilyn nearing 20 and me closing in on 24, yet I thought we'd lost the innocence of our youth in the heavy seriousness of our lives. [Tony] took a tape home, embellished on my concept, and completed the words."

For Asher, the song encapsulated "Brian's wish that he could go back to simpler days, his wish that the group could return to the days when the whole thing was a lot of fun and very little pressure."

Of course, the question most asked is: who was Caroline? "Actually, I had recently broken up with my high school sweetheart who was a dancer and had moved to New York to make the big time on Broadway," admitted Asher. "When I went east to visit her a scant year after the move, she had changed radically. Yes, she had cut her hair. But she was a far more worldly person, not all for the worse. Anyway, her name was Carol. And when I sang the lyric for the first time to Brian, I was singing 'oh, Carol, I know.' Brian, understandably, heard it as 'Caroline, No.' which struck me as a far more interesting line than the one I originally had in mind."

During the recording of the track, Hal Blaine played an empty, upside-down Sparkletts water bottle, producing the unique percussive effect that opens the track. On hand for the session was Brian's father, Murry. "I continued to solicit his opinion," Brian explained. "He praised the song, but suggested that I change the key from C to D. The engineer put a wrap around the recording head, a technique which sped up the playback, and the two of us listened again. My dad was right, and I took his advice."

Caroline, No was issued as a single under Brian's name, the only time his name appeared on a record as a solo artist during the group's years with Capitol Records. The song features only Brian's voice -- he sings the entire lead vocal (doubled) and there are no background vocals. The track was released as a Brian Wilson single at Brian's urging. Capitol knew Brian was the sole singer on the record and that no other Beach Boys had participated, so they were agreeable. Unfortunately, Brian's name was far from a household word, and since there was no substantive promotional campaign to accompany the 45, it met with mixed response and ran out of steam at #32.

The trailer with the barking dogs and passing train was not part of the single and was added specifically to close the album. The dogs were his pets, Banana and Louie, recorded at Western Recorders on March 22, 1966. "I took a tape recorder and I recorded their barks," Brian remembered. "And we went through some sound effects tapes and we found a train. So we just put it together."

Brad Elliott
    May 1999

Beattles and Mr. H like this.
  19. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Great, great info Steve. I enjoyed that. I was 11 when this album came out and well, let's just say it was a wonderful time. Can't wait to get the DCC and re-connect with these songs again. Always dug Sloop John B as my middle name starts with a 'B'.

Where is the best version of Good Vibrations to be found... Is there a DCC version?

20. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steve,

Thanks for posting such a complete story of this historic recording - one for ages and I will save it for future reading and enjoyment while I am listening to your mastering of Pet Sounds....the perfect accompaniment

Bob:)

21. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

It's on the Razor & Tie set and I'm guessing it's on the DCC Endless Summer, which I don't have (yet). I know it was a bonus track on the regular Capitol CD version.

22. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Yes, "Good Vibrations" is included on the DCC Endless Summer. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.