Beach Boys vinyl reissues thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dvakman, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have PS (mono 33 and stereo 45) and SG stereo 33. These titles are just other wordly good...sound quality to just die for.

I will probably get the mono 45 PS because i am OCD.

After pet sounds and surfer girl which is the next best-sounding analog productions BB title?

Al Smith likes this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I’m curious if there is much difference between the 45 and 33 on Pet Sounds.

3. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Jeeze, when did retail for the AP vinyl shoot up to $40!? Kind of crazy - they really think that's going to help with sales or their ROI? I buy these for the quality of the masterings and pressings, not the heavy grams or over-the-top packaging.

Crap, I still have the mono "Smiley Smile" and stereo versions of "Surfin USA", "Little Deuce Coupe", and "Shut Down Vol. 2" to go. Will have to bite the bullet and get those - but the price hike makes it much more unlikely that I'll bother to get some of the outliers on my checklist, like the mono/stereo "Party's", "Concert", "Surfin' Safari", "Sunflower", or "Surf's Up". :(

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Al Smith and chacha like this.
  4. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I finally got a signed copy. Better late than never.
    [​IMG]

5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I bit the bullet and picked up the mono 2x45 Pet Sounds even though I have the 33. Haven't had a chance to spin it yet.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    chacha likes this.
  6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Looking forward to hearing about the comparison.

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I think it comes down to the fact that 45 RPM pressed records sound better. I don’t know if there is a huge difference, but I find the sound of the 45RPM preferable.

MRamble, teag and chacha like this.
  8. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Got the stereo 45 rpm of Pet Sounds for xmas, and the sound is fabulous. Deep bass and effortless clarity with no strain or hardness. I finally have the warmth of the mono in stereo.

9. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Update - since Acoustic Sounds has their 50% off holiday sale last month I picked up all my missing titles - even the Mono/Stereo “Party”s.

Now all I have left to get someday is “Surfin’ Safari” and “Sunflower” - both of which I have perfect OG copies of. It’s hard to imagine the AP improves much on these, since “Surfin’ Safari” is definitely the most primitive sonically of all their recordings, and the original pressing of “Sunflower” was so perfect to begin with. Does anyone know if the AP upgrades are worth it? The crazy completist in me says yes... the rationalist, no way.

10. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Since Christmas is over, I now own every AP pressing of all of the Beach Boys releases, except the stereo versions of Today!, Summer Days, and Party - there never was a true stereo mix for those, so I don't really see the point in having those. If someone wants to convince me that it's worth having those, I'll consider the opinion of others. I also bypassed the 33 rpm Pet Sounds, in favor of the 45 rpm's. The 45 rpm for Pet Sounds in both mono and stereo, are amazing, as is the Surfer Girl. That said, I'd say that Hoffman's mono DCC vinyl is still my favorite. I would rank all of my vinyl copies of Pet Sounds in this order ...

1995 Steve Hoffman DCC mono (In my opinion, the holy grail of them all. Just wish I'd have bought all 15+ copies that were staring at me in Tower Records that day in '95. Just ... dammit).
    2017 AP 45 rpm mono
    2017 AP 45 rpm stereo
    1980 Capitol green label Columbia Record Club mono (My copy sounds surprisingly great, in spite of the CRC reputation, etc. I believe it's also quite rare these days).
    1972 Brother Records Carl & Passions two-fer mono (Absolutely love this version, but the 2:1 compression aspect, knocks it below the green label).
    2006 Capitol mono/stereo two-fer, yellow/green vinyl (Eh, it's nice to look at, but not something I care to listen to - very muddy and dull, a novelty item, not for sonic enjoyment).
    1966 Capitol original press Duophonic (Hey, it was my parent's copy and the one I grew up with, so I'm keeping it, lol).

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  11. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

I recommend Today! in Stereo - it's really good, even if there are a few missing guitar parts (or at least one)

monomusic likes this.
  12. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. ncstickman

ncstickman Forum Resident

All - I have the MFSL vinyl of "Surfer Girl". It's absolutely flawless - not a hint of surface noise and in pristine condition. The only problem is the sibilance. Not horrible, but definitely an annoyance. From what I've read, it's a problem consistent with many of the older SG pressings. Do the new Kevin Gray pressings (mono or stereo) eliminate this issue? Would love to hear from someone who's heard both pressings. I'm ready to reach for the wallet for these reissues and trying to figure out my priority list.....

14. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

I think that's because they cut it at half speed with no HF limiting whatsoever.

15. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Well, since this hasn’t been answered yet, could someone answer it please?

16. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Yes! I bought just one limited edition MONO vinyl that still sounds as pristine as the day I bought it. A masterful mix by Steve, and a beautiful pressing from DCC (as always, the highest quality pressing). But I do not intend to wear it out, even with many plays with my excellent and kind stylus/cartridge. Still NM condition, and perfection to my ears!

[​IMG]

Although "Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE" is not a reissue, that wonderful RHINO vinyl release is also a fave. A masterful recording and HQ vinyl too.

[​IMG]

Then of course there is "Pacific Ocean Blue/Bambu". The surprising release and reissue on blue vinyl is absolutely stunning. By for the best solo album by ant Beach Boy. I also have the 2 CD release. Quite beautiful too.

[​IMG]

17. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

Love the blue vinyl...

18. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Isn't it amazing. I could watch (and listen) to that beautiful Pacific Ocean transparent blue vinyl spin all day.

AJK74 likes this.
  19. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

that blue vinyl release is a brilliant sounding record! great packaging, and well deserved for Dennis.
    one of my favourite releases.

20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I wish i had a ‘kind’ cartridge....mines a bit of a loose cannon, a disruptive influence.

21. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

I got the blue vinyl and bought also the green Bambuu from RSD. Pasckaging is great in both cases. Great musical stuff on it too !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You're right for BW presents Smile : the best incarnation is the vinyl !

Pet Sounds : I still don't have the DCC but the last 50 years stereo vinyl is very good to these ears and the mono with Carl and the Passion is almost perfect. I'm good with these.

22. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

So, can anyone answer about Holland?

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I haven't exactly a/b'd them back to back but I feel the AP is very similar to the original. From memory I might give the original a slight advantage for a tad more clarity, but that might just be my imagination. The AP is heavyweight and a handsome gate fold, though. Both sound good. It's hard to improve upon the originals. The Reprise original vinyl all sound good. Not as much room for improvement as with the Capitol era.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Will Harris likes this.
  24. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

The new AP one? I have it, it sounds great. My original pressing is the one pressed at Sterling Sound (I believe), and that one has always sounded good, too. I haven't yet had a chance to play the AP pressing all the way through enough to analyze it thoroughly, but based on my one listen thus far, I can't confirm yet that it "blows away" the original pressing, but yes - in typical AP quality, it is worth every penny to have it.

25. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Sorry for the hijack, but just sitting down with "The Smile Sessions" on vinyl, and noted on the back it states it was cut by Chris Bellman.

However, no CB marks at all in the deadwax. A look over at Discogs reveals the US and UK/Euro pressings have different deadwax info.

At the time of release, was this ever addressed? Is the info on the back completely false advertising in regards to the Euro cut?