Beach Boys - Wild Honey LP in Stereo - 'Sunshine Tomorrow' 2Cds + live digital release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

I hate to be the one to break it to you guys, but those 2 sets are available in 16/44.1 as well.

Captain Groovy likes this.
  2. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Why would anyone buy the MP3 when there's at least been the 16-bit FLAC version out since release?

Jeff

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I don't think it was available on day of release. And I'm not monkeying around with other retail outlets. I just click a button on Amazon and I'm done with it.

4. Captain Groovy

I bought it day one in 16bit on 7Digital when I saw no HD release (Part I had one). Perhaps check there first if rumor is only MP3 exists.

Jeff

5. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Non sequitur, but why is the resolution for the HD download 24/88.2? Is this an indication that AP will eventually release Wild Honey on SACD?

6. Captain Groovy

I think even the Smile Sessions is like that IIRC (not by my music at moment). I do not know, but it's been that way for these release I believe from the git-go. And none of those saw an SACD release.

Yet the rest of the real catalogue, when issued in 2015 (with improved mastering over the 2012 CDs), was 24-96, and DID see an SACD release.

No idea!

Jeff

Mr. Explorer and Hep Alien like this.
  7. MaestroDavros

I get the impression that's simply the highest resolution that Mark Linett will go for, and others he's been involved in like "Party Unplugged" and "Keep An Eye On Summer" only go up to that height. The HD downloads that he wasn't involved in like the mono mix of "Wild Honey" and "Friends" go up to 24/192.

Incidentally, I found out a while ago that the transfers used on that Wild Honey download and the mono stuff on "Sunshine Tomorrow" (last part of "How She Boogalooed It" and "Mama Says") are one and the same, minus mastering differences, so Mark clearly starts out at a higher res but renders lower.

8. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

What's The best source for mono Wild Honey btw?

9. Daniel Plainview

Japanese Pastmaster CD or 80's green label Capitol Vinyl.

10. FJFP

What's the best place to get a PM CD copy? I'm guessing eBay - I'm mainly looking to fill the gap on my "WH DX".

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'm listening to this new stereo mix after almost a year, and I still love it. It is an excellent stereo remix of one of my favorite albums. :)

12. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Me 2. I played this the other day for first time in a long while... and yeah, it was simply fantastic. Great remix, beautiful album. I do think it's the Beach Boy re-vision of my lifetime or something. The Smiley Smile remix was superb too -- but it didn't change its impression on me. The Party! remix/expansion set -- was great and it made me appreciate that album more. But the Wild Honey remix is the king. Maybe tied the Pet Sounds stereo? Nah...I think I like this more. The mono Wild Honey was so lo-fi, so the upgrade here is tremendous.

13. Daniel Plainview

I'm listening to my custom made "Leid In Hawaii" CD in the car.

This entire project. ... thr remix, Sunshine Tommorow 1 & 2, Live Sunshine.... its amazing the amount of wonderful things we were given in 2017.

And there's still "so much more to come..."

14. Pants Party

I'm still sitting on my wallet like a Mr Grumpy on the Sunshine Tomorrow Part 2 and Live Sunshine releases (for the discussed format reasons). But with summer coming on, I'm getting weak!

I'm sure the massive Live Sunshine set has been broken down already, but I went ahead and did it myself. I guess this could be considered an 9-disc boxset!!! -- if you're ok with a few short discs.
    1. Disc 1 - Live In Hawaii Rehearsal: August 25, 1967 (48:22)
    2. Disc 2 - Live In Hawaii: August 25, 1967 (34:53)
    3. Disc 3 - Live In Hawaii Rehearsal: August 26, 1967 (46:50)
    4. Disc 4 - Live In Hawaii: August 26, 1967 (40:25)
    5. Disc 5 - Live In Detroit: November 17, 1967 (37:09)
    6. Disc 6 - Live In Washington, DC: November 19, 1967 (37:04)
    7. Disc 7 - Live In White Plains, NY: November 21, 1967 (27:32)
    8. Disc 8 - Live In Pittsburgh, PA: November 22, 1967 (39:17)
    9. Disc 9 - Live In Boston, MA: November 23, 1967 (38:59)
    If (and probably when) I get this, I'll probably tag it thusly in Foobar. So I can pick by shows.

I'm quite tempted.

15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

This is how I've done it in my digital collection. Custom artwork for each gig. It's a far easier listen to digest in this way.

walrus and Mr. Explorer like this.
  16. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

We’re on the same wavelength. I returned to this release to cleanse my palette (I’ve had to listen to a lot of live recordings of a single band to transcribe for a tribute act I play in), to psych myself up for summer (one more week until school is out - I’m a teacher), and because I love this era of the Boys!

I got volume 2 at the time of release, but not the live set. $55 on iTunes! I suppose I could subscribe to Apple Music, but that seems more of a waste for my personal use and media consumption.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Pants Party

Yeah, it's $70-something on 7Digital for the 16bit FLAC version. I will probably go with that over the MP3, since I can hear a difference between MP3s and 16-bit. I just wish for that price ($70+) that it would be 24bit 88.2khz.

18. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

It's not worth the money being charged for it. There is very little replay value in the live shows. As they are all somilar they actually get to be very annoying and repetitive

marmalade166 and tonewheeltom like this.
  19. FJFP

Yeah, I bought ST2 in FLAC, but I can do without all the live stuff for that price. Bring on the 1968 set!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Is there going to be a 2018 release this year? Does anyone have any info?
    Or have we got to settle for the orchestra thing?

21. MaestroDavros

There'll almost certainly be a couple digital releases; 1 studio and 1 live like previous years, but that's about it. At this point I don't think we'll see a release with the scope of "Sunshine Tomorrow" for 1968. I'd hoped that ST was the beginning of a new way of presenting the archival material, but I guess it was a one off.

Hep Alien and Colocally like this.
  22. Daniel Plainview

Sunshine Tomorrow sold well.

Jerry Schilling is proactive.

I think physical product will come.

23. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

:laugh: 'orchestra thing'.... that's about it.

furrykittens, Colocally and ronbow like this.
  24. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Well I really hope we see a release before the year peters out, as I've become obsessed with Friends these last few months

pablo fanques and MRamble like this.
  25. FJFP

There’ll be something, I’m sure. I’d love physical, but at this point I’m somehow doubting it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.