Beady Eye album - 'BE' out 10th June

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadman, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Well, listened to the new Beady Eye album today, and while definitely a step up from their last, to me at least, it still pales in comparison to Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds. That record just has what I'm looking for in a sound from either brother post Oasis, so no fault to anyone who might prefer this. Still, not a bad record, though.

cwsiggy and Mr Hankey like this.
  2. Razzle123

Razzle123 Forum Resident

Got this yesterday and have just given it a quick listen through - and on first pass I really like. Songs are good, and sound seems fine to me - and the whole package is lovely.

As regards the whole Noel vs Beady Eye thing I thought the songs on the High Flying Birds album were generally better than on Beady Eye's first - but I'd much rather see Beady Eye live. I've seen both bands a few times, and, though I hate to say it, find Noel to be pretty uninspiring as a front man.

3. JasonH

JasonH Forum Resident

Got my copy today, I think it is really good. Definitely a progression and step up from their first album in my opinion.

4. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

There's a song I heard at HMV where they cop part of the melody from U2's "All I Want Is You"

5. jippy

jippy Forum Resident

Received my copy from CDJapan today. This is much better than I was expecting it to be. Certainly some stronger melodies and hooks when compared to their debut. The bonus tracks are excellent as well.

6. George McClellan

George McClellan Forum Resident

Is this going to see a domestic (U.S.) release or should I just go ahead and order it as an import?

7. I assume that Beady Eye will eventually have a small tour of North America and that would be when it gets released here. That is fairly common for smaller European acts these days. I am still waiting for my import to be delivered.

George McClellan likes this.
  8. PostalBlowfish75

PostalBlowfish75 Senior Member

I can't wait to see this lp in my local store! I like the tracks I've heard, much more than the first record.

9. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Did this album come out?

10. In the UK and the rest of Europe. It basically was released everywhere except North America.

11. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Which explains why I haven't seen it anywhere! :laugh:

12. MasterGlove

MasterGlove Active Member

What a stupid thing to do. How labels pretend to fight piracy by doing things like that?

Movie Studios do the same thing. Some movies get released earlier on Asia or Europe, sometimes North America. But in South America, the release gets delayed by a month, sometimes more. By the time it hit the theaters, everyone has already seen it.

Regarding the album, it seems less brickwalled than their debut album.
    I hope this gets a clearer production, the previous one was noisy as hell!

13. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Amore mature effort than their first one - I don't know if I like that, though... The bonus tracks I've heard so far are pretty good. If they tour Germany I'll see them again, Liam is still quite an impressive frontman! All those comparisons with Noel seem senseless, but I'll ad another one. I couldn't make it through "Birds", I was falling asleep midways. But I was still awake after the last track of BE. Now listening to "Blue Moon", which I still like, especially the space suits video ;)

14. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I don't know if it's because of piracy, because that certainly doesn't stop anything from getting out there.

May have more to do with sales and popularity. The last album didn't do nearly as well in the US as it did in other parts of the world, so they may be waiting to see how it does elsewhere before trying to secure a new US record deal.

15. MasterGlove

MasterGlove Active Member

Good explanation.

Although I didn't meant they do that to fight piracy. What I meant was that those moves, such as delays and postponements, just encourage piracy.

16. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I have seen a copy of this in HMV in Toronto priced as a domestic release ($12.99 or something). So it's come out in Canada AFAIK.

It could be that the US release will be handled something like the last Richard Ashcroft album, which didn't come out in America until almost a year after the UK release. It actually got much better reviews here than at home. It was a worthy album BTW.

17. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Oh, my bad. Well on that count, then yes, you would be quite correct.

18. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

Album is great, especially the bonus tracks.. this would really benifet from an HDTrack or a Steve Hoffman mastering.
    I find some of the songs have a freq noise in them? can this be filtered out?
    anyone have a good eq setting for it?

19. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

I'm giving it a 5/10. Like Flick of the Finger, Iz Rite, & I'm Just Saying. That's about it...and I really wanted to like this album. Liam's vocals sound more nasally than ever & are the same song after song.

I think they failed again. I wonder how long it is before they start looking for Noel's number...

20. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Can't help but agree with the first paragraph of Pitchfork's review.

21. Pitchfork of course never liked Oasis that much in the first place. Noel's album is better than 99% of the tripe they push as albums of the year.

CrombyMouse and Rocketdog like this.
  22. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Bought it last night, listened to it through once. It was OK, maybe it's going to be a grower.

Upon the initial impression, I got the feeling that it was as if Oasis left Noel somewhere and legged it to a studio to quickly make an album, stopping by the lead singer of The Strokes' house on the way to steal his microphone.

23. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

The new album is a more mature effort, more layered/textured/experimental, but it sounds like an attempt to return to the Oasis/Beatles sound, as blind_melon1 mentioned. I like it, it's more laid back and takes its time vs the first album. But the lyrics are still weak - Liam was never great with lyrics, unfortunately. Overall, it's a good album.

24. Barely a few weeks have passed since BE came out, and so far it's remained filed away in my collection. I've no excuse to pull this one out like I did with Different Gear... perhaps it's just a slow burner, but on the other hand I've yet to find a track like Four Letter Word, The Roller, Standing On The Edge Of The Noise, Three Ring Circus or The Beat Goes On. Then again, that last section of Don't Brother Me could go on forever - it's absolutely beautiful! Alas, one such minor highlight so far is heavily outweighed by the nagging sense Liam's voice has seen far better days now.

I'm still not sure whether the rumoured Oasis reunion (in time for the 20th anniversary of Definitely Maybe's release) will happen, though whether or not this happens I've a feeling we'll hopefully get another album from Noel soon enough to match the quality of High Flying Birds, which sounded very much like a continuation of the style many of his previous band's later songs were following. Now if only he'd reconsider finishing that collaboration with Amorphous Androgynous, as I suspect the Liam faction would never be able to come up with anything quite that ambitious.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member

I have heard this one once and so far it sounds samey to me. I like it, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.