Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, I have my own issues with actual content, but the existing recordings have the potential to sound as good as anything else in the group's catalog... unfortunately, as they're currently presented, they don't.

Even allowing for standard "60s UK Mastering" choices, they're pretty "thin" sounding.

- Kevin

The Beave likes this.
  2. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Listening to the 2014 Mono White Album. It’s like I’ve never heard the album before. I’m going to have to put on the Stereo version to remember what I used to listen to! Lol

3. Alright well I've said many times I wouldn't pay more than $50 for pepper, but I just did. Thanks to this thread I checked out the classified ads here and got the opened copy with the 10% knockoff. Completes my set and not bad for starting all of this in June. Around $350 total and all sealed but Pepper. Not too bad!

Although I still think these will be reissued in the next 1-2 years for cheaper, I'm hedging my bets.

4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Lucky me! I just won a copy of The Beatles on ebay for slightly over 20GBP, played once. The records are near-mint having been played once, it says here, with all inserts intact. Only the sleeve has suffered damage, considerably creased in the top left hand corner, which he says was like that on purchase.

I suspect therefore that it came from the box. Can anyone help identify its origins from the number?

N° 9084801

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  5. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

It would be pretty difficult to guess it was from the box. Are there any hype stickers or mono inserts for the Beatles Vegas love show? Then it should be individual release.

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Must be an individual copy. I bought mine new on Ebay few months ago, number is lower as yours: N° 9079483.

7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I thought that somewhere, earlier in this thread, the numbering system had been identified showing box versus individual releases. Can’t find it now.

Included with it is the 4-page booklet with notes on the pressing and source and an ad for the Love show on the rear -exactly the same as came with the LPs in the BOX...

There is no hype sticker, which I don’t think the box contents had.

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

You said the records are 'near-mint, having been played once'. Could be that the original owner removed the hype sticker and did not placing it somewhere else in the sleeve.

9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Of course it could, hence my enquiry. However, I cannot fathom why anyone would buy this as a standalone record given the visible state of the sleeve or accept from Amazon (UK) if it arrived like this.

However, it matters not. I simply thought that earlier I’d seen someone identify the number ranges for the serial numbers.

As stated the records and inserts are pretty perfect and that’s all that's important.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  10. StateOfTheArt

You can always upgrade if you love it. In the meantime, enjoy what you have. We get, including myself, caught up in what's better. Enjoy what you have first. It's a great pressing.

11. lawz

lawz Well-Known Member

but why below 100?? interesting..

the 2014 Mono Pepper hype ;) OR let me put it this way: the "2014 mono pepper selling for over $100" hype

12. StateOfTheArt

Maybe, or maybe not. I think it'll go back up again. Interest will renew around Christmas.

lawz likes this.
  13. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Shrink wrap is expensive.

14. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

15. teag

teag Forum Resident

Sour grapes abound.

16. culabula

culabula Unread author.

?

I simply wanted a second copy, before prices rocket. I already own the box. I have no problem (as I said) with a dent in the sleeve as the records are perfect. I simply wondered as to whether this copy came from the box or not as I was sure I saw someone identify the various 'runs' of the serial numbers. Maybe I dreamt it.

17. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I posted this:
    But it is a terrible non-authoritative guess, based on a quick scan of what people have posted. Also, I missed that I have albums from two somewhat recently purchased boxes numbered 9,062,102 and 9,062,139. So there's that.

It does seem that many have posted of recent individual LPs numbered 9,080,000 and above.

StateOfTheArt and culabula like this.
  18. It’s a nice find for you. The original buyer probably received it damaged and the merchant issued a full or partial refund and told him to keep the product.

The exact same thing happened to me purchasing a 2014 white album. Was told to keep it for free. I use it as my playing copy, but I do have a back up

StateOfTheArt and culabula like this.
  19. lawz

lawz Well-Known Member

just grabbed an extra copy of MMT from one of those sellers :p

StateOfTheArt likes this.
  20. StateOfTheArt

That is a great record man. Probably one of my top 3 favorites of the series. Better than the Capitol original IMO.

lawz likes this.
  21. alcheung

alcheung Forum Resident

I just picked up a mono box at the local mall record store for $480 canadian. Funny thing was that the stereo box was going for $750.

22. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Smart move. That price sounds about right, too. Enjoy!

23. StateOfTheArt

The stereo needs a complete revamp. Sean did what he could with what EMI wanted. I think this would be a great job for Analogue Productions. (like the Beach boys catalog). It's not that the tapes are digitally transferred that was the wrong move (even though, we know they can be AAA). It's that they need to leave what's on the tape alone (aside from original cutting notes), and proceed with the remixes for 'modern tastes'. Give us flipbacks, stereo, just like we picked it up in the 60's/70's. NOS copies.

ispace and monomusic like this.
  24. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Those AP Beach Boys pressings are insanely great, all of them, the monos and even the stereo versions, of which several of them never had a true stereo mix done. I had to get every single one of them. Took a while, as money doesn't grow on trees, obviously, but they are awesome in every way.

25. StateOfTheArt

I grabbed the mono vault Capitol copy (accidental) it's not that bad - the stereo is on hold for the meantime. I have a needledrop, and its great. I'm securing up all the Beatles LP's (best Stereo's) that are my hit list.

monomusic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.