Beatles Anthology DVD----new comments

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JohnnyK, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

I just finished watching The Beatles Anthology DVD, again. What really impressed me was that somebody had the foresight to follow The Beatles around and film them in their early years. I was watching Episode 2, and I was blown away by all of the non-concert video clips of The Beatles. Such as John walking around a hotel room with a chrome waste basket on his head. Or a clip of The Beatles walking on a pier around eating lunch. Or The Beatles jumping around prior to a photo session. Or Ringo being mobbed as he exits his apartment. These are great clips!!! We, as Beatle fans, are lucky that someone filmed The Beatles doing---Beatle stuff.

On a related note, I am really blown away by the video montage of Twist and Shout on Episode 2. What a GREAT PRODUCTION.

Also, how about "That Boy"!! When John sings solo on the bridge all the hair on my body stands up!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Agreed on all counts. The Beatles (after they became fairly famous) were photographed a lot. They were true "oddities" to the press (which helped).

I love watching that old stuff. They handled all the attention quite well. Imagine if you or I were asked tough questions under hot lights with 100 cynical and skeptical newspaper men watching and the newsreel cameras rolling. They did it with ease; none of the other British bands could hold a candle to their charm. I think if it wasn't for that charm (neat songs or not) they would not have come as far.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That disarming nature also made it easier for our parents to accept them despite the long hair and the hoopla and hype....they were natural comedians, soon to be proven on celluloid.

ED:cool:

4. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Steve,

You singled out the British bands. Do you have an American band in mind who could hold a candle?

Beatle charm was a big part of their success. I cannot think of any band in the world that came close for charm - humo(u)r, personality, loveableness etc.

John

5. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

There is even more documentation of this sort in "The Beatles First U.S.A. Visit". There's an interesting scene ( and it could also be in the Anthololgy ) of John Lennon in the Plaza Hotel room playing a type of toy instrument ( I'm sorry I don't know what it's called but it's a tiny keyboard that you blow in one end and gives a flute type of sound, harmonium? ) and he's playing the opening melody to "Strawberry Fields Forever" which wasn't written for another 2 years!

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, there wasn't an American band who could.

7. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

George Martin said he signed them on their "charm" even when the music did not impress him that much. SHEAR GENIUS!!!!!

8. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

Re: Re: Beatles Anthology DVD----new comments

I think you're describing a melodica.

9. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

They were all so darned cute. That didn't hurt.

10. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Hey, that's just what I thought! Glad I'm not the only one...

11. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Beatles Anthology DVD----new comments

As JohnnyK mentioned in the opening post to this thread, the behind the scenes documentation was impressive. Possibly capturing a classic like "Strawberry Fields Forever" in the making is historical !

12. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

The Beatles First American Tour is a great documentary on the charm of the early Beatles. I love the scenes on the train as the Beatles go from New York to Washington. It is amazing how well they handled the press. They were very mature for their age. How about the scene when one of the Beatles is pretending to sleep in the luggage shelf above the seats!! Very funny!

Another interesting thing about this DVD is how The Beatles won the admiration and the heart of Ed Sullivan. It is obvious how impressed Ed is with The Fab Four when he introduces them during their last TV appearance. It was obvious that Ed understood how successful The Beatles would be. I also think that The Beatles changed the way Ed perceived Rock and Roll bands. Ed had very few R&R bands on his show before The Beatles performed on his show. However, there was a constant stream of R&R performances on Ed's show after The Beatles performance. Ed realized that he could expand his audience by having R&R bands on his show.

13. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Beatles Anthology DVD----new comments

My 9 year old daughter loves "The Beatles First U.S. Visit". She was captivated by their timeless charm. She's now in love with the "young" Paul McCartney. After viewing this video ( and others ) she's quite the expert on The Beatles.

There's a funny moment during their live performance of "This Boy" on the Sullivan show. During a vocal break, John seems to forget he's broadcasting to millions and lets go with a "EEEE-UUUU". You can see the embarrassed look on his face afterward and McCartney trying to hold back laughter.

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It was most definitely the charm(and their humour)that put them across to people, especially George Martin on their first meeting.

All of them(John especially)were so charming and witty. I guess that, plus the fact that they wrote and performed incredible songs, was what made them THE BEATLES.

Evan

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

The press conference to "apologize" for the Christ comment is priceless.
    John's intelligence must have really taken the reporters aback. The Beatles certainly were not "oh shucks, golly gee" types so prevelant in the music industry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.