Beatles' Breakup and Dark Shadows Cancellation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, Sep 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur! Thread Starter

Was anyone here - of a certain age group, of course - as devastated as I was by the one-two punch of the Beatles' breakup and cancellation of Dark Shadows? I was a little kid, and I felt like the walls were tumbling down.

2. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

Have you had to have much therapy :rolleyes:

dalem5467, Fullbug and bob60 like this.
  3. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

They were a full year apart. Star Trek and Smothers Brothers were both cancelled around the same day though.

4. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

At least we can say they never sucked! (Star Trek too......season 3 has some lesser moments......but pound-fer-pound the scripts are the best!) (Like Abbey Road could reasonably be called the best or as good as.....)

I've never known a time without the whole cannon......and by the 80s, it was at my fingertips (by the 90s for Trek-----and I don't care how often a girlfriend or potential girlfriend would shudder at my VHS collection of every damn episode).........I'm grateful!

ParloFax, forthlin and joeislive like this.
  5. radiomd2000

radiomd2000 Forum Resident

Yes, but if one can still be in denial of a loss — or in general of impermanence — after a year, the two could easily be conflated in one's personal catalog of losses.

If this forum is any indication, one can still be in denial of a loss after...well more than a year.

6. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

I was probably more upset by “Dark Shadows” being canceled than the Beatles breaking up. But, I was only 10 years old at the time. 47 years later, I still listen to the Beatles and watch Dark Shadows reruns on Amazon prime - it’s like my second childhood :)

7. ShockControl

Yeah, but records don't expire on the day they are released, so functionally, it felt like far, far less than a year. Plus, no one knew how truly final the breakup was until a few years later.

8. ShockControl

Have you had to have much grammar lessons?

9. Royce

Royce Senior Member

I remember this time period. I remember The Carpenters "Rainy Days and Mondays" (perfect song for feeling sorry for yourself!) and that song about the Bullfrog (perfect song for feeling good and looking forward to living) when I think back to it. :)

bluerondo, Mooserfan and ShockControl like this.
  10. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I can sympathize. I felt the same way when The Jam and The Clash broke up in the early 80s. I've been thinking about pulling out the Dark Shadows dvds and going through the whole series again. Good time of the year to start.

ShockControl likes this.
  11. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

As a ten-year old at the time of the Beatles break-up it didn't really register with me very much. A buddy's older brother had an eight-track of Let It Be in his car that he always played and I didn't think much of it. Still don't. I was far more interested in finding about The Beach Boys of 6 or 7 years earlier after discovering the old copy of All Summer Long my buddy's older sister left behind after moving out.

12. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Dark Shadows????

13. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I was more upset in 1998, when Van Halen did that crappy record with Gary Cherone, and Seinfeld went off the air.

14. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

THE BEATLES BROKE UP ?????

toddfan and Uncle Miles like this.
  15. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

FTFY.

16. ShockControl

You're a little slow on the uptake, Einstein.

I need a new straight man for my comedy act. You would be perfect. Are you available?

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

My Mother the Car being cancelled was even worse.

:mad:

18. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I'm more upset by the Beatles breakup and the cancellation of The White Shadow

[​IMG]

webmatador and SteveFff like this.
  19. ShockControl

What's fascinating about this to me, nearly fifty years later, is that I'm much more upset about Dark Shadows' cancellation than I am about the Fabs' breakup.

bluerondo likes this.
  20. varispeed

varispeed what if?

The real bummer was that "Never Too Young" was cancelled in order for Dark Shadows to begin. While Never Too Young was no masterpiece, it was evolving .....more charting bands appearing on the soap opera....shaking up the format. Hey, it gave us a chance to see "Wally" (Tony Dow... just two years out of Leave it to Beaver) copping an actual teen angst/troubled guy persona that was sort of psychedelic to watch (just think of the storyline possibilities if the show had made it into 1967). The acting was so bad that it was....... like a car wreck full of teens. You just had to watch. All of this packed into 30 minutes as a lead-in to the daily Where the Action Is. Very good decision in some respects.

Suddenly, the show is axed and without warning, Dark Shadows' first episode appears. It was like your favorite 1966 pop radio station suddenly shifting overnight to .... I dunno...... suddenly you're watching neighbors of the Munsters on downers doing slow moves around the living room in a talk show format.

Gumboo likes this.
  21. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

I liked the books by Marlyn Ross, and they continued until 1972. And the comic book that ran until 1976 had some good moments too, so I didn't really go cold turkey.

There was also a second movie too, but without Barnabas. That I don't remember being so hot.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Culpa likes this.
  22. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I was 6 or 7 so I wasn't even aware of either.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

My brother said that his bike had a flat the same day the Beatles broke up. How much can one boy take? :cry:

t-man 54 likes this.
  24. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

Sorry....I thought this thread WAS your comedy act. So you are genuinely distraught over the breakup of a band and cancellation of a TV show 40+ years ago? Suck it up, buttercup.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Andrew J likes this.
  25. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

:-popcorn:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.