Beatles By The Bushel vol.2 DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Nov 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

I bought a new boot title Beatles By The Bushel vol. 2 (I already have vol. 1) and it has some pretty cool stuff on it. While some of the videos are from the movies, the dvd also includes the alternate Hello Goodbye video (not the Sgt. Pepper/grey suit version, and what I think are different versions of the Strawberry Fields and I am the Walrus videos. Also included are the Beatles on a stationary bike with Ringo holding an umbrella, John doing Yer Blues from Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus, George doing a live version of one of his songs, maybe from 1965, and some other cool videos. It looks like boot DVDs are finally starting to appear. There was also some good Let It Be footage featuring Dont Let Me Down and one of George's songs. Overall, a great DVD, but I wish the videos that are taken from the movies were not on there as I already have all the movies on DVD. There was a little ad at the end that said to look for Beatles Greatest Hits and Beatles Appearances vol. 1 and 2. I also saw the red and blue albums as DVDs which featured promo videos. Maybe someday we will see outtakes from Let It Be. It would be nice, of course, if EMI would release a complete box set of all versions of all of the promos. I would buy a box set of that in a heart beat.

Please no discussion of where to buy, sell, or trade boots!

2. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I'm fairly certain we'll see those, someday, just not from Apple.

I have very little expectation that Apple / "Beatles" will release the product we really want.

We saw this in the CD world, where great "import" releases were lovingly mastered and packaged, providing us with the kinds of things that made sense to us, as collectors and fans.

Likewise, the DVD market is just taking off, and it remains to be seen how "they" will respond. But I fully believe the most exciting releases will not be official product. (I would be happy to be wrong.)

BTW, can you comment on quality, on both volumes?

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I've seen the Red and Blue discs, they've been available for several months now. Problem is, at least on the copies I saw, while the picture is nice, the soundtracks are frequently not synched up properly with the pictures.

There's also a DVD version of the Apple 1 promo tape that has nice quality versions of several promos, though it's obviously sourced from VHS. There's also a disc with both of the videotaped '66 Budokan shows.

This stuff started showing up around this time last year, I'd expect it to keep going as DVD recorders become more common. Watch what happens when DVD-R prices drop down to CD-R levels eventually!

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Can someone give me the skinny on the different Hello, Goodbye promos. Are the other versions complete? All I have is what they use in the Anthology DVD. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Chris

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The most common version of "Hello, Goodbye" features the Fabs performing the song onstage wearing their Sgt. Pepper uniforms, with a couple of quick shots of them wearing their old '63-era collarless suits.

The second version has them performing while wearing "street clothes".

The third version is a collection of outtakes of the previous two versions, featuring the Fabs fooling around, mugging for the camera, wildly dancing, etc.

The version on Beatles Anthology is mostly the first version, with the coda taken from excerpts of the third version.

6. Beatlelennon65

The quality is average on some of the older black and white clips, about what you would expect from something like the first concert in America (Washington) or some of the other early footage. The later stuff is not bad at all, but it isnt mind blowing good like the Ed Sullivan DVD or some of the Anthology.

Thanks for the info on the Hello Goodbye promos Reechie. I have the street clothes version and I guess the third version although it might be the common first version, I cant remember. Are there multiple versions of Strawberry Fields and I Am The Walrus? I will have to compare the Walrus promo to MMT, but I thought parts of it looked different and I am almost positive the Strawberry Fields promo was different.
    Overall, this dvd and the first volume were about what you would expect from a bootleg, nothing great as far as quality, but it's nice to have esp when you probably wont ever see it from EMI/Apple. Worth the 20 bucks or so to me.

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I've never seen an alternate "Strawberry Fields Forever" clip, although the version in Beatles Anthology splices in some outtake footage that wasn't in the original clip.

As for "I Am The Walrus," as McCartney says, again in Anthology, Magical Mystery Tour was the only performance on film of that song. However, once again, outtake footage was spliced into the version used for Beatles Anthology.

The Anthology re-edits are the only alternate versions of those two clips that I'm aware of.

8. Beatlelennon65

I will have to compare the Anthology with the boot and the MMT DVD. Sometimes the memory gets a little funny. After I saw the different Hello/Goodbye I think my mind started playing tricks on me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.