Beatles "Cry Baby Cry" white album 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

It is a very creepy album - the whole vibe & feel about it is like no other Beatles album - but it still manages to be The Beatles.
    The first time I heard it I was recovering from Chicken Pox & was feeling delirious anyway - the vibe of the album only added to my delirium.

2. sonnyrock

sonnyrock Forum Resident

It definitely shouldn't ever be pronounced with an "r" in it! :shake::tiphat:

3. Suncola

Suncola Possibilities

...and thus it was.....*GASP*.....'McCartneyesque':faint:.

It was "not his rubbish"; it was someone else's!

4. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

There are so many great posts in this thread, such clever & astute people. Glen you're observations that Cry Baby Cry was so 6 months ago, by the time it was released, & that it was the Beatles final Psychedelic song are brilliant.

Cry Baby Cry & Free As A Bird remind me of each other, when I heard FAAB & thought it sounded White album ish, I think this is why.

I more tidbit, apparently during this session, is when Geoff Emerick walked out on the Beatles, not to return until Abbey Road. Tension going on that exploded during this session .

Apparently Emerick's departure & Ken Scott's instant promotion didin't slow down Lennon or the Beatles, who rapidly finished the song.

According to Beatles Bible, Emerick said he'd had enough to George Martin & wanted to leave. Martin said OK, you can leave at the end of the week then. Emerick said no I'm leaving now, & walked out.

The more you read about this, the more fascinating it becomes.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  5. RBurgwinekel

RBurgwinekel Forum Resident

Love, love, love this song! It's also the gateway on the White Album where things take a sharp left turn, starting with the snippet of Can You Take Me Back and moving into Revolution 9 and then Goodnight. I love the sequencing here. Wonderful!!!

JimJimFalls, Folknik, zobalob and 3 others like this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

First time I heard this as kid, I thought to myself 'parts of this sound like Alice in Wonderland', but of course, that wasn't possible. The Beatles didn't read books, did they?

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Love it.

8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Fortunately, the music doesn't.

9. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

One of my favorite segues as a DJ was going directly from Cry Baby Cry (cutting off before Can You Take Me Back) into Dumb by Nirvana. :righton:

10. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

If he was asked about this in late 74/early 75 I think we would have gotten a very different (real) answer.

11. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

It's one of my favourite Ringo Drum performances, he does something slightly different on every verse, simple yet very effective. I think 'Cry Baby Cry' and 'Can You Take Me Back' are perfectly placed on the White Album, slightly eerie before the nightmarish Revolution #9.

12. Joe N

Joe N Forum Resident

I love the song. John was notorious for dissing his own stuff, and also for changing his mind from one day to the next on what he thought of something.

I used to think the "creepy" vibe from the White Album was just some association I had from hearing it for the first time around 10 years old and being literally scared of Revolution #9 (and fascinated by it at the same time), and also from associating it with the "Paul is dead" rumor and the handful of supposed "clues" on the album. But I see that feeling is more universal. There is kind of an ominous, foreboding vibe the pervades the album. I have no idea to what extent that was intentional on their part, but it adds to the experience for me.

Cry Baby Cry definitely has that vibe, with the haunting, somber melody and chord progression, and the strange nursery rhyme lyrics. And then it goes into "Can You Take Me Back", followed by Revolution #9. I wonder if I just knew this song in isolation from its surroundings on the album if it would feel the same, maybe not.

And yes, great drumming by Ringo on it.

13. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Love it.

14. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

It was inspired by a commercial he had heard that said "Cry baby cry, make your Mother buy"

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  15. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

..Great strategy....Marketing 101, to this very day!

16. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I absolutely love Cry Baby Cry!

17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Cry Baby Cry is amazing....one of my favorites on the album. For all we know Lennon could have been thinking about She's Leaving Home.

18. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I thought the sequencing of Cry Baby Cry with Can You Take Me Back worked, with the ending of CBC having a seance and Paul singing Can You Take Me Back after the last chorus made him sound like a real ghost despite that it was a play seance put on by the children.

19. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

I love this song. It's spooky. Especially leading right up to Revolution 9. Would scare the crap out of me as a young teen.

20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:laughup:

21. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

One of the best tracks on the White Album. Great lyrics, sung in a weirdly nasal voice (John had a bad cold) which makes the track even more spooky.

22. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

Much more interesting lyrically than musically. The chromatically descending minor-key bass line had already been used in "Michelle" three years earlier.

:disgust:

23. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Love the song. Perfect transition into Revolution 9.

elvissinatra and seacliffe301 like this.
  24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Absolutely love Can You Take Me Back!

PIGGIES and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Nice work Johnny! Cry Baby Cry is an interesting recording for many reasons. Firstly it was THIS session when Geoff Emerick left the production team. He incorrectly stated that he left due to all the in-fighting and not being able to take an argument between Paul and George Martin about the vocals for Ob La Di (that was the day prior). He literally left midway through the double session (4:00- 9:00; 10:00-2:00AM) for Cry Baby Cry on 16 July 1968. According to Lewisohn, the basic track was Lennon vocal, bass, organ, drums and acoustic guitar. Not sure if he played organ or acoustic guitar, but not both. During the evening session they added piano (John) and harmonium (George Martin) onto take 10. The next day they all attended the premier of Yellow Submarine. On 18 July they augmented the recording with new Lennon vocals, tambourine and backing vocals (Mark doesn't say who sang) and additional harmonium.
    Wasn't the first time either. He walked out during the Magical Mystery Tour sessions too citing exhaustion (I believe he was all of 20/21 y.o.) Ken Scott was promoted to engineer, whilst Jeff Jarratt, Richard Lush and others became tape ops. So let's see. Scott engineered the following sessions:

Your Mother Should Know (16 September 1967)
    The Fool On The Hill (25 September)
    I Am The Walrus The orchestral overdubs and radio voiceovers (27 September)
    I Am The Walrus and Flying (overdubs and mono mixing 28 September)
    Your Mother Should Know and I Am The Walrus (Additional overdubs and mono mixing) 29 September)
    Hello Goodbye and Blue Jay Way (Recording and overdubs 2 October)
    Blue Jay Way, It's All Too Much, Shirley's Wild Accordion (Mono mixing and recording on the last song 12 October)
    Hello Goodbye (Additional recording 19 October)
    The Fool On The Hill, Hello Goodbye (Orchestral overdubs 20 October)
    Hello Goodbye, The Fool On The Hill (Overdubs and mono mixing 25 October)

On 1 November Geoff returned. Ken Scott was more or less usurped and only came back for a single session (6 November) when they were doing stereo remixes. Now THAT must have caused some issues, eh? Ron

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.