Beatles DMM lps: same mastering as CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shoes4Industry, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoes4Industry

Shoes4Industry Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi, can anyone tell me if the 90s issued (I think) UK DMM series of lps, that say they are digitally remastered, are the same mastering as are on the 80s CDs (they sound different to me, at least on the two I have heard)?

Thanks,

2. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I can't speak to the UK DMMs, but the German DMM's of the red, white and blue albums are way different than the cds. They almost sound remixed, with different dynamics and occasionally even different edits!

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Are these the ones that say on them also available as cd# ? I've seen those but assumed being as it said available on cd that it was the same mastering. If it's not the same I guess I have something else to try out.

4. Shoes4Industry

Shoes4Industry Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure they make a reference to a CD on the back (I'll have to look when I get home), but the Sgt Pepper one I have sounds better than the CD...and very quiet vinyl too.

5. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

I have cd-r's made from the red, white and blue vinyl German versions, and I LOVE the sound quality of them. So clear, with strong bass and shimmering treble. I play these cd-r's more then the official product. The vinyl is dead quiet, too.

6. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

The British series of DMM LP's you refer to were originally issued in 1988 (they're still widely available) and, as far as I am aware, they use the same digital source tapes as those used for the CD transfers. The Red & Blue albums have also recently been re-issued on vinyl here in the UK - a limited run apparently - and they also use the same source as the CD versions (in the same way that the colored red/blue vinyl versions from '94 do).

DMM LP's normally come in for a bit of stick but I have to say that, considering they are mastered from a digital source, most of them do sound pretty good (although not as good as earlier, analog-sourced pressings of course, but more listenable than those awful CD's!).

I can't comment on the German DMM re-issues mentioned by lennonfan, but I do own some German pressings of Beatles LP's from the early-mid 70's (including the Red & Blue) and these sound fanstastic - dare I say superior to the British pressings from the same time!

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The DMM Beatles were mastered off of the normal digital masters we're used to. Some, depending on country and origin, may sound better than others, but they basically sound the same with very little difference.

8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

This is something I find very boring in today's world. We have succeded so well at marketing, distribution, etc. and now everything is just the same. I think I read that McDonalds strives to live up to a promise that if you travel anywhere in the world and you pop into a MikeyDee's and order a Big Mac, it'll always taste the same. Boring!! Why go on a trip in the first place? Also, if I'm in Russia, why the heck would I want to stop in a McDonalds? Back to subject. I think it's boring that all the Beatles stuff out there is all the same. Blah! In fact, most music out there is all the same. Thank goodness we still have record players...

Todd

marcfeld69 likes this.
  9. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I'd like to see what the source tapes were for the German DMM red white and blue discs. I note a lot of differences, especially in the white album.

10. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

I'd like to see what the source tapes were for the German DMM red white and blue discs. I note a lot of differences, especially in the white album.

What differences do you notice in the White Album DMM issue? I have it and haven't noticed any different edits (although I have not given it a really good critical listen). I'm just curious, so I know what to look for.

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I own about 12 different LP copies of the White Album. My favorite (knowing better's been released) is the JPN TOJP White Album. It's DMM, mirrors the mastering of the CD, but the vinyl's quiet and has taken quite a bit of plays! The British Lps sound almost the same, but the vinyl's a little bit noisier.....

12. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I have the German Blue hits set via the DMM pressing and the vinyl is very quiet (pretty to look at, too, with snazzy Apple labels), almost as quiet as the Japanese red vinyl set I bought some time before the DMM's hit the scene. Too bad my phono section is kaput or I'd give 'em both a spin - I love the clear vinyl when it's revolving at 33 1/3 rpm's...

13. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

If you like the German DMM versions of the red and blue sets and you're big on Beatles vinyl, it's worth tracking down earlier non-DMM german copies of these if you can. I acquired a set recently from someone who used to work for EMI in the 70s - they were given to him c 1977 by one of his colleagues at EMI in Germany. He put them away and never played them so I got them 100% Mint! They sound absolutely fantastic - they are even superior to the British pressings from that time. These for me are the best versions of the red/blue albums on vinyl I've ever heard.

14. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I seem to remember differences in the german DMM of the white album such as:
    certain tracks, like Savoy Truffle come in quicker after the previous song...in places where there was brief silence, there no longer is. The overall dynamics are different as well.
    If you have the Blue german dmm, check out Hey Jude...when the guitar comes in, the volume about blows you back!

15. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

Correction:
    The edit is different from Savoy Truffle into Cry Baby Cry, not before ST. I think it's also dif from Helter Skelter to LongLongLong, but I'd have to pull the vinyl out to check. In many ways, the German DMM is my fave White of all, beautiful to look at, quiet as the best Japanese pressings, a warm, mellow sound for what is often a rather strident production, and it's a bit different to boot:)
    I got all 3 red white and blue sets at a store for $12 each. Man, what a bargain that turned out to be! (tho not as good as the MFSL of with the beatles, which I paid $13.99 for! shoulda left it sealed, but I broke down and had to play it...twas awesome:)

16. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Lennonfan,

It's funny you mention the volume going up during the guitar intro on "Hey Jude" on the German Blue DMM album. I just notice that some month's ago. That part is on every Hey Jude I listen to, but it's not that noticeable on other pressings. That part just jumps out on you. As for the White DMM, I think the German pressing runs circles around the MoFi's. The bottom on Dear Prudence is unbelievable. If I'm not listening to the U.K. Mono of the White Album, I'm listening to the German White DMM. As for the Red DMM, I have some problems with it, but still there are some tracks on there that smokes.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.