Beatles February 1969 Mystery Session

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ern, Sep 18, 2013.

1. slane

slane Forum Resident

Well, no one knows exactly what they were recording, if anything.

2. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Came across this one : a second photo of Paul leaving Cavendish Ave. It explains the appearance of Martha on the next photo. But where was that (second one) taken ? Doesn't seem to be Savile Row. And where is the dog on the last two photos ?
    Since nobody commented...do we agree that these were taken on the same day as the mystery studio session ?

[​IMG]

3. slane

slane Forum Resident

I don't think it's the same day. Unless Paul got changed for the session. He was wearing a brown shirt at the mystery session (and a white and striped shirt at another session)(see here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...69-mystery-session.329497/page-2#post-9408570)

Could the location in the second photograph in your original post be Manchester Square, maybe for the Get Back/Blue Album photo shoot? It looks like John's Rolls Royce behind Paul's car.

4. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No, that's not Manchester square. And the car is beige or gold, not white. (The white car in the lower two pics is a Merc of course.)

5. slane

slane Forum Resident

Of course? That's the one I thought was the Rolls! :o

Anyway, I don't think those pics are from the same day as the mystery session, though around that time.

6. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

It's a shame you can't see his shirt in the (color) group photo, but on the individual photos (first page of this thread) and the OP's photo he's clearly wearing a jeans type shirt over his pants, with the top button undone. As far as I can tell, it all fits the photos I added...
    Re: the car and Martha, my theory is that he may have made a stop, dropping off Martha and switching cars. Just an idea ;)

7. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, it's odd that the shirt looks blue (but not as blue) on that photo of Paul on page 1, yet brown on the pic from the GB book (?). Was it re-tinted for the book? Maybe you are right. Heather's there, but where's Linda in the group shots at the session? Unless she actually took the photos?

mp010_zps7e84e603.jpg paul.jpg

So, if the version of the photo on the left is more like the correct colour, then you are probably right.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  8. Yosi

Yosi Senior Member

9. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

This one looks oddly photoshopped - look at the edges around Ringo's head and drum kit.

10. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, I found out about it's history after I posted. It was some mock-panoramic thing.

dewey02 likes this.
  11. Ern

Ern Senior Member Thread Starter

Some more from the mystery session:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

seacliffe301, theMess and slane like this.
  12. Ern

seacliffe301, andrewskyDE and slane like this.
  13. Ern

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE likes this.
  14. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

The 2 bottom Polaroids from the previous page are Savile Row (recognize the concrete building across from Apple, you can see it in the rooftop concert pictures). The middle one with Paul adjusting his coat on the street corner is from Abbey Road or Cavendish Ave. Maybe he stopped at EMI to pick up some tapes before he went to Apple?

15. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Here's the video of Goodbye with Paul and Mary Hopkin. The video was shot on 1 March 1969. Paul's hair looks nearly identical to the pics with Peter Asher and playing the steel (different shirt). If anything maybe just a tad longer in the Goodbye footage. Since Asher worked at Apple at this time, it's not surprising he'd be messing about with Paul. It does look like Paul is actually playing something on the piano and it's not some staged shot. Did Paul do any sessions at Apple in February 1969? Ron

16. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Looks like a key is stuck.

ARK and MLutthans like this.
  17. HumbertoGillan

HumbertoGillan Forum Resident

I think that these photos of the Beatles dates from between mid-late February and early-mid March 1969, and that they where rehearsing "I Want You", check this session of Paul with Jackie Lomax, he has a very similar haircut that the one he appears in the "Mystery Session". This dates "11 March 1969". Otherwise, John looks like he's singing in the "Mystery Session", so it could be possible that they were rehearsing "I Want You" and possibly they where recording the overdubs of "Don't Let me Down".

18. HumbertoGillan

19. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Speaking of sessions around this time....

You know, Paul actually claims he DID sing lead vocals on that mysterious "She's So Heavy" outtake that's been floating around for years - despite what one's logic might say (it sounds like Paul, but somewhat off).

I just find that interesting.

20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

My feeling on this one is that Paul may very well have performed an experimental lead vocal on the song ... but if he did we don't have it, because the "Rough Notes" performance isn't him.

21. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I just can't believe "Oh, I Need You" has been on SO MANY bootlegs. (One 'alternate Abbey Road' even found a place for it in the tracklist!) It doesn't sound a blessed thing like any of the Beatles singing.

22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Ringo almost always wanted a lyric sheet. Still to this day, when rehearsing with the all star band, Ringo asks for a lyric sheet of the song they are doing.

lukpac and Hep Alien like this.
  23. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Paul sings a bit of I Want You during Jan. 1969, doesn't sound like Rough Notes version.

24. HumbertoGillan

His performance of "I Want You" appears on the "Thirty days" bootleg...

25. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I thought I heard Paul and maybe even Billy Preston on some of the late January Apple takes. Lewishon states he did an experimental take at the February session. If it was halfway decent I would value it over Carnival of Light as a must hear.

theMess likes this.