*Beatles: June 20th- 40th Anniversary Of US "Yesterday And Today" Trunk Cover 1966

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatle Terr, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist Thread Starter

Yep today would have been the day I got my trunk cover. Only it seemed like at least 2 months that my local AM radio station had been playing DRIVE MY CAR anouncing that it was from the NEW Beatles LP soon to be out in stores. I soon discovered that my trunk cover had the original Butcher Cover underneath it.

However it seemed like Revolver was out so soon after. I believe it was released in August here in the States.

Anyway this is one of my favorite US Beatles LP's also. :D Looking forward for Ted Jensen to have this in the next Capitol Vol 3 box set as an official release on CD in both Stereo and MONO with the original fake stereo mixes of some of the Revolver songs!

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

That thread title is a killer. I thought it was RELEASED today on CD! :eek:

3. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

Do you still have that cover or try to sell it? I recall getting this album at least a month after the release, so the covers by this time were the trunk, only. I remember hearing about the butcher cover being underneath and I tore off a corner of the cover of my copy to see if I had a pasted on cover. I didn't.

4. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

That's what the thread title says to me.

5. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Yes, that's what it says. It should be "anniversary."

6. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

It got me too...I changed the thread title--OK with you Beatle Terr? :)

7. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I was going to say, more specifically it is the 40th Anniversary, before I saw the revised topic heading. Please pay no attention to this post.

8. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I finally bought "Yesterday And Today" recently in a MONO copy. I really like the mixes of the Revolver songs in mono here. If only Paperback Writer and Rain could have been added to it....

As an "album" though, it doesn't hold a candle to the Capitol Rubber Soul......too haphazard a collection.

9. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Got mine in May, and it was already just a regular trunk. Didn't score a butcher until 1980.

10. Beatle Terr

11. EveryLittleThing

EveryLittleThing New Member

Hell, I wouldn't even be born for another ten years... but I still have a paste-over, and in mono. I like the mono mixes (especially on the Revolver and Rubber Soul tracks), so I pull this one out for a listen from time to time. The track listing is pretty haphazard, though. I agree that they should at least have added "Paperback Writer."

As for the stereo... can't stand any of the varieties of rechanneled stereo, so I prefer my all-stereo Y & T for those listening needs.

I do remember first finding out about the butcher cover from Nicholas Schaffner's "Beatles Forever" in the late '80s, and being determined that I'd own one. It still surprises me that I have one. Even though it's all beat up, I still won't have it peeled--the second states are a part of history, and someone should leave theirs be.

12. Beatle Terr

Jose, to us in the US it wasn't a collection of songs just. Sure there were the titles that had been 45's already released, but having "Drive My Car" starting off this LP sounded like a kick *** rocking great Beatles album again to most people in the US. Totally unlike the US Rubber Soul that had that acoustic folk rock sound that gained much attention to it at the time. This was more of an *NEWER* if you will bunch of songs that were incredible and the fact still remains that this US LP had songs that the UK hadn't even heard yet. At least not until "Revolver" was released there. Plus we still got our own original US mixes.
    Please don't take me wrong as I still loved the US "Rubber Soul" LP much better as a listening session than I do the UK version. Be that as it may, I've obviously come to realize that the UK version was the way it was intended to be by the artists. :D

13. Beatle Terr

Larry you've totally got me curious as to how that was possible if the Butcher Covers were the only ones that could have been available in May perhaps.

So could you run down how a truck cover was out there and available in May? I don't doubt you my man, I'd just like to know how this was possible for you to purchase at the time. Who had it fpr sale? I know that the Top 40 radio stations had been playing it and had thier own DPRO copies, but those too would have had a Butch Cover on them would be my understanding.

14. Beatle Terr

I don't believe I typed CD in the thread title.

Dave why would you think that??

God don't we often speak of vinyl around here without putting it in a thread title??

I mean I've been under TONS of STRESS for quite some time now, but really I'm sorry if I confused you or anyone else here.

It should have been a good thread title IMHO, I'd have thought some responses would have been about the fact that Ted Jensen and Capitol will have it ready for the next Capitol Vol 3 Beatles Box.

I was also interested to see if any response pertaining to the original fake Stereo version being the one to be used as oppossed to the re-issued real Stereo mixes that were later used for the LP.

Oh well...correct me if I'm wrong!

15. Beatle Terr

Hi Mike, hey sorry I wasn't around yesterday or today at all, in plain English. My mother is dying and is in the hospital and nursing home. She has Cancer.

I'm doing my best to cope, but it's not easy TRUST ME on this one.

So it's the little things that tend to keep my mind occupied in some way shape and form to keep me out of the funk one can get in.

The thread title is what it was or is what it is. Sorry I wasn't around to keep an eye on the thread since I had started it. Didn't think I had to though, Geez, it was a BEATLES thread.

In any event, sorry that it got the mixed up responses. :sigh:

16. Mike Dow

Beatle Terr-

I am very sorry to hear about what you are going through with your mom. You are each going through one of the toughest things in life and both you and her will be in my thoughts.

No worries about the thread title...you explained it very well and I agree...it is the anniversary of the re-release of the LP.

I was a bit late coming to this album (1979). I bought it new at York's Book Store in Houlton, ME for $5.79. I was happily surprised to find that, inside, the album had a beautiful, green Apple label. At the time, most of the songs on "Yesterday And Today" were new to me and it seemed like a perfect album (still does!). Even today, when listening to the UK Revolver, when I hear songs like "Dr. Robert" and "I'm Only Sleeping", I remember the first time and place that I experienced them, the "Yesterday And Today" album.

As for your comment about radio promo copies, yes, the butcher covers were sent to radio where many of them promptly "disappeared" after the trunk cover replacement was ordered. A good friend in radio gave me his station's promo copy of the LP in 1984. It had sat on the shelf all of those years without having an employee "liberate" it. It is currently framed and on my wall about 12 inches away from my computer monitor. I must look at it 50 times a day! :)

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Terr, sorry about your stress and situation. If I was the only one confused about the title, then I can understand coming down on me, but others agreed.

18. Mike Dow

I don't think Terr was coming down on anyone...he was just puzzled that some of us were confused about the title. It was a bit ambiguous but he's right...it is the anniversary of the re-release of "Yesterday And Today".

19. Larry Geller

Obviously, I'm delirious & got the date wrong if 6/20/66 is when it came out, then THAT is when I got it, not May. The day it came out Master's (a NYC department store) put it on sale for the (even then) ridiculously low price of $1.79, so I ran out & bought it (the first Beatles LP I ever purchased--I had most of the 45s but no LPs). I now surmise that the price was that low to possibly counter bad publicity over the butcher cover's withdrawal, but then I was blissfully unaware of any of that (MY butcher hunt wouldn't begin until 1969). Anyway, sorry to mislead anyone.

Also, BT---you hang in there with your mom--you'll be in our thoughts. Hope things go as well as they possibly can.

20. Beatle Terr

21. Beatle Terr

Dude, coming down on you!! Were you listening to HELTER SKELTER or something???

You're quote was the first response to this thread Dave. Basically it was a poor one. So if you got others that agreed with you I'd say it was because of your misunderstanding.

However, believe me I had no intentions of coming down on YOU, with my response back. Dude, again we talk about vinyl all the time here. How many threads have a Beatles vinyl only title in them and someone that's not new to this place would come out and think that the thread was about a new CD release.

Dave. I'd give you way too much more credit than that man.

All I asked you was WHY dd you think that, basically in reply. Then I don't even get a response to that from you. Instead you take a BEATLES thread and try to make it as a personal attack.

You gotta be kidding me. :shake:

22. Beatle Terr

Larry thanks for clearing that up. Also thanks for your kindest of words and thoughts. My wife and I and my son are doing the best we can for my mom.

It amazes even me how insensitive her Dr's seem to be. They just shipped her from the hospital where she was starting to get a bit better after her first chemo treatment and they just put her in the hospital's owned nursing home. Where in over 3 weeks they hadn't even stopped in to evaluate her as she her health has just been diminishing. Very disturbing to see this even one of the male nurses that has been taking care of her pulled me outside the room and said to me "If this was my mother, I'd complain, she needs better care that this place can only give her, and she needs to go back into the hospital. So that's what we've been working on all between you guessed it, "Yesterday...and Today!! We're not going to just let her die, we don't want that at all. Again thank you for the kind words Larry!

23. Beatle Terr

Mike is really right here Dave! Except for I didn't seem to feel ambiguous about it at all either.
    It was just a simple announcement of that June 20th 1966 was considered the re-release in which Capitol was able to fix the Butcher Covers that had been sent out earlier.

So on June 20th 1966 they were ready for public consumption with the new TRUNK COVER pasted over the top of the Buther Covers as well as new plain TRUNK covers!

A Great Album in the USA, IMHO. :thumbsup:

Then it must have sold very well to have later copies with that Gold RIAA Stamp on the fromt of it's cover also! :cool:

24. Larry Geller

Actually, you may have hit on another thread topic---the Gold Record Award emblem. Does your US LPs have them? And, for that matter, why didn't Something New or The Early Beatles ever get one?

25. Beatle Terr

I often wondered about that too Larry. None of my US LP's have them as they were all purchased way back as they got released.

Ya wanna laugh, I actually thought that they put the stamp there to sort of fill in the plain old trunk cover LPs as there was just way too much white space left on them! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.