Beatles - Let It Be - DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SAPCOR1, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"The world may never know."

2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Paul probably wants to put together a new version/edit to make you think that life at Twickenham was like a happy Brady Bunch episode.

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I don't see that. Beatlefans remain physical media fans. But BluRay is a lot more likely than DVD.
    All the other films have come out in physical media, with a couple such releases in the last year.
    And for folks who just want to stream it there is YouTube
    Whether it comes out at all is the question.

Really the only Beatles product not to see a physical release has been the 63 Bootleg release.
    OK there was the Washington Collisseum show thrown in as an extra with something or other I believe.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I don't think they'll ever agree on how to present a rerelease. What to leave in, what to add, what to exclude.

5. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

THat would be fine with me, anything to get more footage.

6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I generally assume any conversation about "DVD" means 'blu-ray," but is just way easier to type (and a far less stupid product name). I have no idea why they continue to make standard-def DVD's of specialty items like music videos, but...they exist.

SoporJoe likes this.
  7. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

The whole film needs to be completely rebuilt from the original footage and just ignore the released edit. Why bother to remaster, clean up, and re-release a poor product?

Maybe they know it stinks (most of it) and just don't want to dedicate the resources to make a better version.

JimC and Vidiot like this.
  8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I think George and Ringo expressed big reservations about the film as well.

But, hey, bashing Paul is becoming a cottage industry around here, as if he alone controls these things.

9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Why didn't Apple/Universal at least issue a BLU-RAY for 2014 year of Washington Concert? I get that iTunes offers it as a download "only" offer when you buy Beatles complete Digital Catalog.

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Because they potentially could agree to release what was already out there and the is no way in hell they could all agree on a new edit to replace it that was anything more than a series of music videos with the dialog and rehearsal scenes removed.

11. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Damn. :mad:
    Every time this thread gets resurrected after laying dormant for months/years, I over react and think some new information has come to light.
    Just another false alarm.

12. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

13. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Made that on April 1, by the way. ;)

14. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I was ready to hit the buy button on Amazon with that rendering.

minerwerks likes this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Considering how "A Hard Day's Night" artwork was redesigned to appeal to Blu-Ray/DVD buyers last year, Let It Be could eventually look worse with artwork. I like this idea!

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And yet there were plenty of clips from Let It Be in the Scorsese biopic on Harrison, including a whole explanation of how and why George abruptly left the sessions.

I'm 99% sure all the pieces still exist (including hours of omitted footage) and could all be rescanned and put back together again. I have it on good authority that a new version of Let It Be was done in the early 1990s for the Anthology project, all rescanned from the original 16mm camera negative, but only the clips were released -- not the whole film.

JimC likes this.
  17. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

And to think, the ball got rolling with the cleaned up footage when Anthology aired on ABC back in 1996. Guess you can throw Shea! into the mix too.......:sigh:

18. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I know this sounds horrible, but I think, at this point with all four parties firmly represented during product decision-making, the best we could get would be a four-part DVD/Blu-ray as I don't think consensus would ever be reached in regard to the "definitive" Let It Be movie cut. I think the product's chapters would look like this:

1. Yoko Ono presents Unfinished Movies, No. 1: Everybody Had a Hard Year
    2. Paul McCartney presents Let It Be... Me
    3. Olivia Harrison presents Let It Be: The Undermining of "All Things Must Pass"
    Ringo Starr presents Let It Be: Hungover as Hell featuring All-Star Band Member Billy Preston

;);););)

MoonPool and JimC like this.
  19. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

People got tired of bashing Yoko.

20. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

People always mention how it shows The Beatles breaking up/arguing etc but apart from the one very minor argument between Paul and George, I can't think of another example of this. I think the film shows them having a good time and rocking out. I don't see what the problem is with regards to reissuing it.

And hell, that George/Paul 'argument' - I've seen far more heated exchanges between people in daily office life than that kind of thing!

MoonPool and Clark V Kauffman like this.
  21. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

If I recall George said something like "I'll play it any way you want. Or not play." He looked rather pained but it was not much of an argument. More like worn out or tired of Paul being somewhat overbearing at that point.

John came off as uninterested in much of the film. More interested in dancing with Yoko.

22. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

The two-disc version prepared just after 'Anthology' was completed has the original film (with the music corrected so that we now see the same performance we hear) plus a brand new 'alternate' film of unseen performances PLUS lots of extras. The Apple board saw it and had no objections to what they saw and heard. The problem now is for the board to agree WHEN and HOW it's released. There is no work to do, it's all been done. Don't forget that two (or three) Apple board members are acting under instructions that were probably left with them when their spouses were still with us.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    davenav likes this.
  23. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

The heroin addiction probably didn't help with the lack of communication. That's what annoyed George H more than anything. You can't blame him for thinking he was wasting his time. He thought Paul was overbearing, John was unresponsive. He must have wished he'd stayed in America.

forthlin likes this.
  24. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this here but they really seem to be dropping the ball with 50th Anniversary releases. I thought for sure there would be some type of official Shea thing--since Paul & Ringo have no problem revisiting the past on their new songs or on stage, I really can't understand why they can't make the real thing available. Apple Corp seems as clueless as ever.

25. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Yeah, it was "I'll play whatever you want, or I won't play at all if you want". George described it as a "row" in the Anthology, but it was hardly that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.