Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

sorry i cannot agree with this last paragraph at all, They certainly rose to the top IN LIVERPOOL based on their live performances of rock and roll, soul and standards, not their songwriting.

However their songwriting was integral to their rise to the top in the UK as before their first record, or even their second, they were little know outside the north west ( and Hamburg ) , the fact that they wrote their own HIT singles is what made people really sit up and take notice, not their live performances, far more people bought their records then ever saw them live, although there were a tight live act before all the screaming post she loves you eventually made them sloppy. Those nights in Hamburg though really made them a tight act but thats not why they rose to the top, it was a string of three songs from Please Please Me to She Loves You, after SLY UK domination was secured. The USA would follow a few months later, partly yes due several instances of luck but mostly because they had become the best act writing their own material since shubert, well Buddy Holly anyway.

The Beatles could play alongside the best of them, but it was those songs they wrote that set them apart and that started to become apparent from January 1963 months before they became the biggest act in the country

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The mono CD box set sounds fine to me

bluesbro, funkydude, 905 and 5 others like this.
  3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

4. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I have no idea. I honestly don't know what label The Beatles are on anymore, and I don't think I care either. They used to be on Capitol. Do you really not know that? Why don’t you ask Rfreeman which label is paying attention?

If it helps you to understand the gist of my post, please feel free to insert the "correct" label in place of “Capitol” in my post.

Jeeze…

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  5. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

This was what Brian Wilson himself had feared would happen with His Beach Boys' Recordings-That's the main reason why He'd did Mono-Only Mixes,because of people manipulating the overall sound! He Knew...HE KNEW...

6. wim1958

wim1958 Forum Resident

I hate all that do it yourself mixing these days, i m a purist.

Larry Geller and coolsound like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Note that I will be starting the Franz Schubert versus Buddy Holly Poll later today... ;)

8. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Why limit it to just Schubert? I can see a Buddy Holly compilation coming on, including...

Ravel On
    Rock Around With Olivier Messiaen
    An Empty Copland (And A Broken Date)
    Haydn, Waiting, Hoping
    It Donizetti Anymore
    Baby Let's Play Stockhausen

...and other Classics.

9. muffmasterh

Schuberts Rave on nocturne is a particular favourite

Take it to the bridge Arnie !!

Arnold Grove likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

What is that monstrosity?! I've never seen that before.

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I see that the East Coast heat is affecting you too. ... ;)

NumberEight likes this.
  12. NumberEight

Perfect!

13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I believe it was a private release for some Shell reception. Dutch or Swedish, can't remember for sure.

Lost In The Flood and Man at C&A like this.
  14. muffmasterh

must be getting to me in London too, even John Kerry was sweating here last week, mind you thats standing next to Boris.

15. muffmasterh

something like that, very rare and collectable too.

16. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

If it was a private release for Shell, then the cover makes perfect sense.
    It makes a heck of a lot more sense than the cover they've been posting for the Hollywood Bowl re-release. At least the Shell logo is just the logo, it doesn't have the name of the CEO of Shell and the actual written words "shell" and it is a private release. The Ron Howard/Hollywood Bowl cover is just a very tacky and shameful plug for the movie, not worthy of a Beatles general release.

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The Shell Help! is certainly an interesting limited edition. It's probably the only time the Beatles have allied themselves with a massive co-operation, excepting their record label of course.

18. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Good thing you didn't seriously overreact cos you were plain wrong then.

19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Maybe we don't know what we are missing, but I have enjoyed the 2009 mono and stereo releases. Most of those early songs were etched in my head via 45s or WFIL anyway. The mono box was a revelation to me.

Mark Wilson and Tommyboy like this.
  20. NumberEight

Is it just me, or is the Shell logo just a trifle large?

21. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

WogBlog: The Beatles Shell Help! LP »

"This special issue of the Help! album was produced for Shell Oil for the kickoff of their 1979 "Shell Helps" campaign. As part of this promotion, Shell Oil arranged to produce a small number of these special versions of the Beatles’ Help! album to be given out at a company-wide meeting of their Dutch distributors and store managers. Less than 2000 copies were printed - so unless you were a Shell Oil distributor or store manager in 1979, you couldn't get it anywhere."

22. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Did the Beatles Shell Out?
    :hide:

23. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

"One can only wonder how this one managed to get approved."

One can also imagine that it wasn't, at least by the individual members of the group.

Lost In The Flood and MoonPool like this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can't imagine any of them approving. I can imagine this was sneaked out and given away before they knew anything about it. They won't have been aware of all the different worldwide issues of their records.

25. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Featuring:

"Shellp!"
    "I Need Fuel"
    "It's Oily Love"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.