Beatles MMT German LP question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kipper15, Sep 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just got my hands on a very nice German pressing of Magical Mystery Tour. I'm not sure what year the LP dates from though. For once, I have a Beatles LP and I really don't know what pressing I have!

The cat. no is Parlophone 1C064-1044491 and the label has the black/silver two EMI box similar to the UK 70s and 80s reissues. The sleeve is not gatefold, in fact it looks very similar to the original German Hor Zu version, except with an Apple logo in the top left corner on the front cover.

There is nothing to indicate that this is a DMM pressing. Does anyone know what pressing I have?

Attached Files:

2. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I think its the third. Later 70's. The last issue was early 80's and the cat # was 1C072-1044491. There was 2 different Horzu labels on the album sleeve and they both had cat SHZ 327. The first label was a red rectangle and 2nd has a small record in the graphic. I've got a second and in the dead wax side 1 is -1 and side is -3. I've got a first version on the way. Fingers crossed that it'll be in good condition.

3. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Are you sure it's not DMM (is the deadwax area larger than usual)? My guess would have been that it's one of the late digital remasters; but I defer to the superior knowledge of others here.

4. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

5. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Interesting link, but makes me wonder where my MMT fits it. I have it on the Apple label with "HorZu" and accompanying small logo in black ink above the word "STEREO", and the logo on both the label and jacket is what looks like a stylized record insude a pair of headphones. Catalog no. is SHZE 327, matrix A-1 and B-3, definitely not DMM, and sounds very good, better than the later DMM pressing I heard which had the "C" number.

6. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

One of my German MMTs is exactly the same including the matrix numbers. I think this is the second issue. MY other is the one with the Apple logo on the cover and Apple records inside but with same matrix numbers. I am curious about Kipper's black/silver double EMI box logos. I thought all the German ones were Apple label on the record. MY 1c072 is and the dead wax is the same size as the HorZu, it also has the same matrix numbers as do all of us that posted matrix numbers here.

7. Sanfi4u

Sanfi4u Senior Member

The site jkerr kindly refers to says:
    The MMT "... original album issue has the older rectangular Hör Zu logo on the cover and label. Second pressings from 1973 feature the newer "record player" Hör Zu logo."

I wonder is this logo described by sgraham (stylized record inside a pair of headphones) an older rectangular version or newer "record player" Hör Zu logo? Actually sgraham description may comply with both. In other words what pressing - first or second - sgraham owns?

Any German pressing experts in there?

According to another source the first MMT German pressing can be identified with English-written copyright wording in the label's perimeter (later pressings had German copyrights in typed font). Is it right?

8. kipper15

Looks like I need to check the matrix numbers. I would guess it's an 80s reissue - the label text begins with the 'All Rights..." credit which appeared on UK Parlophone LP's from about 1981/82.

The label looks like this:

9. kipper15

I'll try and insert that image again..why can't you do it when editing a post?

Attached Files:

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have a CDR of it from a kind forum member. Yes, it trounces!

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Double post. Sorry.

12. kipper15

Gary - I've moved that post to a new thread. I intended to start a new thread but accidentally posted it as a reply to this one...check out the new thread! £350 is a lot of money - but I'd happily take a CD-R from you :D

13. kipper15

My copy (probably 80s reissue) has both German AND English print around the label perimiter. If you look at the image I attached you can see the label looks like there is text around it - around the top there is the English credits, around the bottom the German credits.

14. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I don't know how much your MMT label looks like the PPM me you posted but it looks like it says DMM on the label.

15. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

16. kipper15

Mike

I'll need to double-check this but I don't think my MMT has the DMM logo. Other than that, the label is the same. The PPM is a scan I got from another website (I don't have a scanner) just to show what the label looks like...should have explained myself better :o

17. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

So far I've searched about everyplace I know but I can't find any reference to a German MMT with a Parlophone label with or without that catalogue number, too weird.

18. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I have 2 copies (one sealed) that I bought in 1979 and 1980. They were $9 and $4 respectively. They have the apple label in the corner, but I don't think they had parlophone labels. I'll check at home, but did they by chance also have European Apple labels from that time? I think mine has. Either that or blue EMI labels, but that was from the earlier german LPs I had.

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Should MMT be close to Sgt Peppers...?

I'm following this thread with interest as I recently picked up Sgt Pepper on Hor Zu (red, large white letters "HOR ZU"). The Hor Zu label is actually a sticker on the lower left side of the front of the album and reads "HOR ZU / Electrola / SHZE 401". Writing on the dead wax is (side 1) SHZE 401 A-1 and side 2 is SHZE 401 B-2. Promises to sound amazing! A nice mate to my Rubber Soul Hor Zu which is (as Steve would say) just Yummy!

Anyone know about a Hor Zu sticker / label?

Incidentally, at the same time I picked up:

1) Help! - Mono. Black label, yellow writing "Parlophone".
    2) Help! - Stereo. EMI Electrola. Apple. German.
    3) Abbey Road. Apple. German.
    4) A Hard Days Night. Two EMI box. English.
    5) Sgt. Pepper. Apple. Japanese.

..... think I was pretty fortunate on that day......!!!! Six LPs for $130.00 Canadian!

20. Sanfi4u

Sanfi4u Senior Member

21. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Yep! To all your questions. Except I'm not sure what's on the first issue label, just the logo on the cover. It'll be a week or so before it comes in.

22. Sanfi4u

Sanfi4u Senior Member

Jeff,

Thanks for the answer. Please post a note about the 1st issue label and its logo when you got the LP. Ejoy the record!

23. Sanfi4u

Sanfi4u Senior Member

Ooops! Sorry for my grammar. Anyway I'm sure you'll like the sound.

24. kipper15

The German MMT conundrum continues! I've checked the label and it does NOT have the 'DMM' logo anywhere on it although it is identical in other respects to the PPM scan earlier in the thread.

The English text around the rim is identical to UK pressings from 1984 onwards ('All Rights...', including the word 'Renting' in the copy). As far as I'm aware the German DMM pressings didn't appear until 1987/88 - like the British DMM LP's, released just after the CD's. This would mean my German pressing dates probably from betweem 1984 and 1987.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.