Beatles Mono for streaming?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, May 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the mono cds uploaded and steaming through the iCloud.
    But for those of us who don't own the physical product do you think they will or at least should ever make them available for subscription streaming services?
    I know it probably would have happened by now but it would be yet another marketing Beatles moment that would gain them a lot of additional streams.
    Also, I cringe at knowing the stream only folks who discover the Beatles through such means have to hear PPM and WTB and some of Past Masters in that awful hard panned 2 track stereo.

2. Price.pittsburgh

Bump

MitchLT likes this.
  3. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I'm also surprised the mono editions are not being streamed. Perhaps the record label thinks there would be limited interest among the general streaming public and not worth the investment. I'll bet that most typical music consumers don't know, understand, or care that most the Beatles catalog was originally issued in mono and is still available in both compact disc and phonograph record formats.

Question: I know that the British mono CD catalog must be purchased as a whole, but can the current reissue mono records be purchased individually?

4. grorr76

grorr76 Forum Resident

Yes they can be purchased individually . That is how I did it. Some titles are hard to find and quite rare others are easier to acquire.

5. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Dunno about streaming services, but the Stingray digital radio 'Classic Rock' station plays quite a bit of mono Beatles...more than the stereo versions, actually, I'd reckon. I was surprised when I noticed that...mono? In 2018?:D

6. Price.pittsburgh

More insight?

7. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

How were you able to upload the mono tracks into your iCloud Music Library without having Apple incorrectly match them as stereo? That’s my biggest issue with using Apple Music: about half my Beatles In Mono tracks are incorrectly matched.

8. Price.pittsburgh

Yeah, all the more reason to have the monos streaming.
    It hit me last night my Here There and Everywhere is stereo and not mono in the cloud.
    So must be others too.

9. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Giles Martin is the guy who makes decisions regarding what Beatles music goes onto streaming services. He thinks mono is outdated and that most people will not see them as an acceptable listening experience. There’s no chance of the mono mixes making it onto streaming services.

10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Nowadays with the advent of a Bluetooth speaker, most of the young generation most likely wouldn't even notice if it was mono or stereo.

11. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Does anyone really think there are a significant number of people who primarily consume music via streaming and who give a <bleep> about hearing a mono mix?

The Beave likes this.
  12. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

The mono mixes should be available if not for the slight differences in the recordings. Thank You Girl, Helter Skelter, Taxman and Please Please Me come to mind for their differences. The U.S. versions of And I Love Her and I'm Only Sleeping are different too.

13. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

I think there would be a market for a double "Beatles Variations" CD with the top 15 or 20 mono-mixes plus those tracks with the greatest differences. I simply can't afford to buy all the music again.

14. neonbible

neonbible Forum Resident

You can upload to Google Music,which will try to match it by default. But if you right click and select Fix Incorrect Match, it will upload your version.

Although I don't think you can upload FLAC on the free tier.

15. Billy Infinity

Correct. I’ve had my mono Beatles albums on Google Play Music (the free “locker-only” tier) for a few years now. I’ve uploaded -V0 mp3 files.

16. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Giles Martin has become the modern scapegoat for everything that doesn't please the Beatles fan. How do we exactly know that it is his choices not to make mono available for streaming?

I think the reason is far more simple: The mono editions are not available to avoid confusing customers with two versions of the exact same song. And it is also fine to have the mono editions as physical exclusives as it is a limited market. The stereo editions is for the masses. No matter how irritating it is for a hardcore fan, the average guy couldn't care less if a song is in stereo or mono. They would instead question if bringing such an issue up, is the sign of having too much time on hand...

17. Price.pittsburgh

I have noticed on some streaming services that occasionally an album will have a mono option.
    The Who Sell Out is an example on Apple Music.
    In parentheses it specifies stereo version or mono version.
    If they just did this with Please Please Me and With The Beatles and a few tracks on Past Masters, I'd be happy.

18. Price.pittsburgh

The iCloud doesn't always keep the right mixes but my Apple Music subscription preserves all my mono mixes and unique Capitol mixes.

19. Price.pittsburgh

Dylan and The Stones stream in mono now so why not The Beatles?

20. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

FWIW Sirius/XM uses the mono versions of many of the group's songs.

21. Price.pittsburgh

Yeah but I was referring to on demand subscription streaming services like Apple Music, Spotify, Google Play, Tidal and Amazon Music

22. Billy Infinity

I've figured out a solution - not perfect, but works for me: I re-ripped my Beatles Mono albums by album side, not individual tracks. Then uploaded them into my iCloud Music Library, and boom - all there. I just approach listening to them like I'd approach listening to an LP in full.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  23. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Like others, I found Apple Music incorrectly gave me the stereo versions even when I tried to download the monos, having bought and ripped both the stereo and mono boxes.

I gave up and just sync the mono versions to my iPhone whenever I want to listen to them.

24. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I agree. Now, if I ran Apple, I would substitute mono for the two-track material as the only version available for streaming. I'm sure most people wouldn't even notice it's mono, and it would make for a better listening experience to them. The rest I would leave the stereo, even though mono may be the superior mix for part of the catalog.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  25. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

I have yet to find the mono's sold individually on CD. I resorted to borrowing the mono albums I was most interested in from a library (they do loan them separately).

I caught the mono version of "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" on Sirius 60's on 6 yesterday (no clapping on the intro). I am not familiar with the single version which was released in some countries but not the UK or US in '68, or the single that finally got released in the 70's so I'm not sure of the source for Sirius. Since I heard the mono White Album CD I presume that is the source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.