Beatles Mono VINYL Box Set - 8th September 2014 Release Date (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I feel for you on the money matters. I'm not gonna buy it for similar reasons and these days the CDs suit me fine. I don't think your question can be answered until it comes out though

2. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

At 1:18 you can see some notes which say that the PPM master is 'damaged'.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Kim Olesen likes this.
  3. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Same here. I have 1982 UK monos of WTB through The Beatles, and originals Help through Pepper. So I only need the really early albums, the singles, and better Rubber Soul and The Beatles copies.

Decisions, decisions...

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Me too. I'm absolutely broke. I have original UK monos of PPM-Revolver. I don't NEED to rebuy them...but.... just buying White Album and maybe Pepper would probably just lead to my never-ending desire to own the whole box. It will gnaw at me like a rat. I'd want that sexy white box to line up nice next to my Blue Box. I'd love to postpone this until next year, but what if.. what if... I miss my chance? Or the price goes up??? I didn't give a rat's ass for the digital stereo box, but this time they're doing it right and I want in. I'll deal with the consequences later.

GreatTone likes this.
  5. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I hear you. I recently scored virtually unplayed copies of 81 UK mono's for PPM, Pepper and the White Album, and I scored Help! a while ago. Hard to imagine anything sounding better than these, honestly. I am looking forward to a new mono Rubber Soul though, as I don't enjoy the primitive stereo spread. As of now, I still have my order on Amazon, just because I'd like to have the box.

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

No. It won't. In the long run....it won't. Do the right thing when it comes to your family. Don't be like me. :shake:

Keith V likes this.
  7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There was quiet and loud vinyl then and there is quiet and loud vinyl now. The highest quality vinyl ever was produced by JVC 30+ years ago.

Using sealed Beatles LPs from the 60s (and thus likely North American pressings of imprecise vintage) is not a particularly good example for making this general statement.

8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I've been saving up my Amazon dollars and gift cards for months now, expecting to blow it all on the Beatles mono vinyl box, but I have to admit, with Paul's V&M and SOS sets coming out in September, and a possible "Apple Years" box from George ... the Fab Four might lose this one, no matter how well it's done. Going to be a tough, tough decision, because I surely can't afford all of them.

9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That, and I don't think EMI really forsaw the longevity of these recordings. Rock n' roll was still a 'fad' in 1963. Surely copies were made for subsequent editions in the 70's and 80's, but likely not with the kind of care a project like this would necessitate.

jordanlolss likes this.
  10. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I completely feel your anguish. I would say save for a rainy day. Unless these boxes are truly limited and then the price skyrockets later. That's the gamble to me.

supermd likes this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I am going through that same dilemma. If push comes to shove (which it will), the mono box will lose. I don't listen to vinyl often (I don't even have a turntable!) but I love the idea of the original-style packaging.
    Yep. I have no problem buying these down the road, but I'm scared they'll be gone pretty quickly.

12. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

This may be a risky proposition since there are no formal reviews of the box set, but have you thought about selling the originals to fund the new box? I suppose that all depends on your sentimental/collector attachment and what you could get for them, but may be worth considering if you find out you may even come out ahead on the deal.

13. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Me too. I have the Mono set on pre-order but I have the original UK pressings and the red box from 1981. I really want the McCartney Archive releases and a Harrison box even more so if push comes to shove I may cancel the Mono box pre-order. I really want the unreleased stuff on the new McCartney's and a Harrison box would be fantastic too.

This is one time where I can't do all of the releases at once - just too expensive.

supermd likes this.
  14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

You like what you do. I basically feel the opposite about the "Revolution" mixes...

If you want to give the mono version of this (or whatever) another play, listen to the whole vs the separate details - the balance of elements in the mix vs. another, how the overall balance works musically, etc. In the end, play what you like - at least you have a choice here.

Hawklord likes this.
  15. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

I'm in for the Deluxe and vinyl of both of the McCartney releases, and the Mono box, and the possible George box. Added to my current want list of other releases scheduled for the rest of the year, I'm gonna be broke but very happily so!!

16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

add the Dead 90 box, the CSNY 74 Deluxe, and the next run of Zeppelin boxes to this list and my wife now has the freedom to buy as much quilting supply as she needs!!!

ssmith3046 and Peachy like this.
  17. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Read my post. I didn't say the sealed LPs were Beatles records.

I agree about the JVC vinyl.

I'll go out on a limb and predict the 2014 German vinyl is quieter than 1960's British vinyl.

18. The Fabs mono is the best of all of those.

Millington, e.s. and sambamaster like this.
  19. All the Macca boxes are still pretty easy to get for normal prices so if you need to wait I'd wait on those

20. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Oh no another husband with a quilting wife!!! Yep I know the trade off.. Haha

Millington and fishcane like this.
  21. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

The damaged master in this case is the metal master, not the tape, meaning a recut was required to produce new stampers for the 1980s mono reissues.
    For PPM, Side 1 was recut and shows as -3 with the HTM signature.

Similarly, the WTB master tape notes shows "M/D damaged 23/10/81", again the master disc was damaged and a recut was required.
    Moss cut both new sides on 28/10/81 and they appear in the trail off as -8 /-8, with the HTM signature on Side 1.

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Ticket To Ride sounds much better in mono. It's heavier sounding. Both stereo mixes lack the punch that the mono mix has.

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

He wasn't using sealed US Beatles albums from the 1960s as an example. Please re-read his quote.

24. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Not to me -- I'll take new music over new mastering of music I already have a half-dozen times over any day...

25. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

So, your limit is six?

Mazzy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.