Beatles Mono VINYL Box Set - 8th September 2014 Release Date (Part 7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Yeah I know, it's pathetic.... I know. The first one of course was my 'play' copy. Then, of course I had to buy a second one to keep sealed for the grandchildren then the price dropped for a day so I had to buy that one.
    You know how it is......
    Back to you.
    the beave

kipper15 likes this.
  2. The Beave

Damn!
    You got me again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :rant:
    the beave
    in Seattle where it's sunny.

3. The Beave

Ok, Bill. I'll ......how do you spell 'aquiest'?? Insert that HERE.
    All I know is my personal history with tapes. And again, my story about my Dad's Cassettes is true. I just can't believe that with a climate control environment, these are decomposing. But I digress.
    the beave

4. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

acquiesce :)

hazard, culabula and googlymoogly like this.
  5. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

Hi Beave....I had all my dad's old lp's and cassettes too............but they were all Montovani and Lawrence Welk!!!!....You seem like a nice, fun type person... and that's refreshing around here...........P.S...I could have cheated and looked it up, but I don't know how to spell 'aquiest'...

6. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Damn it! Second time I've missed the humour in this thread. I am going to need to get my sarcasm detector tuned up.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

MFs ratings on sound quality never have made a lot of sense to me. Sometimes I think he's saying "this isn't that great of a sounding album anyway." Other times I get the understanding he means " in comparison to the original". Can't tell which he means most the time.

Does he mean it's an 8 because it's a two track recording and will never sound that great or this isn't a 10 like the best originals?

He doesn't say much about the actual reissue in his AHDN review. Mostly talks about things we already know about the recordings. At least he doesn't say anything negative about it. And the meter thingy says 10, whatever that does mean.

Sounds like these are on the right track for some real good sounding lps :)

Tommyboy likes this.
  8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm not sure he adjusted his numbers on this yet. He was less enamored with this one, or at least a bit ambivalent. He likes it quite a bit, but not sure he likes it better than his original in every way.

Tommyboy likes this.
  9. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Just got an e=mail from my fav local record shop where I have my box on preorder asking what size T-shirt I want that comes as a give away with the box!! Ok, i'm officially on count down mode!

Matt Starr, Ash76, AnalogJ and 2 others like this.
  10. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

It is confusing. I don't happen to think AHDN as a recording is that great in mono or stereo, despite loving the music. It's not until Beatles For Sale that recording quality starts to get pretty good, but I've always preferred that in stereo because the original mono sounded so pinched and compressed. I remain optimistic, though.

kipper15 likes this.
  11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

He actually does talk about it a bit. He criticizes it a little, not faulting the mastering, but saying the mastering might reveal too much detail. In some ways, I feel that way about the AP Patsy Cline Greatest Hits. I hear too much of the sausage making, so to speak. There is so much detail rendered, I end up focusing on miking or dubbing rather than the music. So the reissue is revealing to the point of possible fault. Hey, at least he is being honest. I have a feeling he put out the number ratings without thinking of the review. He has admittedly done that in the past and gone back and corrected it.

12. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

And it's funny because I've always preferred the UK mono over the UK stereo, because of the better mix and the lack of an overly bright top end, like the stereo LP has...

- Kevin

mpayan likes this.
  13. boogieman

boogieman Forum Resident

I can't wait until he reviews SPLHCB . Hopefully he will compare it to the 1982 Japan EAS mono, which Geoff Emerick described as spot on

kipper15 and Peter Pyle like this.
  14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, I just posted a comment over there and asked about the meter system. Hopefully I didn't come across as being to forward or rude. I'm probably making it too complicated as usual.

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

One of the downsides of a revealing transfer. But I tell ya I'd rather have the sheet pulled back and the best details possible with recording techniques revealed some than the reverse.

If it is an issue, I think it will just take some time for our ears to adjust and the revelation of techniques used to become a part of our listening experience. Just like Paul or Johns flubs and mistakes are a part of the experience.

I am also getting the idea that these reviews are "first impression" reviews. He's probably as excited as we are about these and wants to get something written out there before we all explode.

16. I love the stereo bfs over the mono in every issue I have. And I have many

17. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Mazzy and I used to work at The Wherehouse in SF in the early 70's as well!

Mazzy likes this.
  18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Your questions were very appropriate. Although its always interesting to see what he thinks of a reviewed disc, I think you need to put his ratings in some context. For example, his 10/10 review today of AHDN says how superior the mono is to the stereo. His review of the stereo vinyl reissue in 2012: 10/10.
    Waiting for 11. Also looking forward to his review of the mono BFS. Like Mazzy, I think that every stereo version I have heard is markedly superior to any mono.

19. Yes and that's where we fell in love. Well in a heterosexual way. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

20. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

The only mono BFS I ever really liked much was the 1982 Japan red vinyl issue. Wasn't as compressed, and didn't beat the stereo IMO. Still, I got rid of all my '82 red vinyl monos, as well as my '82 UK mono box. Couldn't justify keeping them because I simply didn't like them enough to ever listen to them much, for a variety of SQ reasons.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks, I hoped they were appropriate.

Hey, he's a member here, maybe he will come in and comment.

22. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

We should also keep in mind that Fremer's system is probably a lot more revealing than even the average audiophile's, so the extra detail he's hearing in the AHDN reissue might be less noticeable to many of us.

kipper15 likes this.
  23. vwroccet

vwroccet Forum Resident

Excited enough to need diapers again? ;)

Peter Pyle and Rich C like this.
  24. chacha

Yes to this. Unfortunately and strangely to me it regressed sound wise for Help & Rubber Soul. I don't get it.

25. chacha

There is so much wrong with that

Mazzy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.