Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SATLOS

SATLOS Forum Resident

Was that the stuff in the packages labelled "DO NOT EAT!" included with the box?

I guess I'd better fetch them out of the trash and down the lot. Maybe the book will reorient itself. :nyah:

2. john lockland

john lockland Forum Resident

The tracks on the original US stereo MMTs are separated, do you say the US mono version had the tracks "flowing" into each other? Sound strange.

Huck Caton likes this.
  3. CMcGeek

CMcGeek Loves records maybe too much

:laugh::laugh::laughup:

4. CMcGeek

CMcGeek Loves records maybe too much

Just noticed the pause before 'Can you take me back' seems shorter on the mono LP.
    BTW, has anyone ever identified anywhere the weird operatic recording during Yoko's talk at the end of R9?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  5. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Did the Beatles record other mono singles that were excluded from the 3LP set? Such as other foreign language tracks? I'm wondering what the fuss is over the inclusion of two songs with German vocal tracks.

6. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

My Sgt Pepper arrived yesterday from Amazon.com in the US. Came to £16 delivered. Ordered last Tuesday. Perfect condition.

Definitely puts the current Amazon.co.uk price of £36.99 to shame. How does that make any sense????

Gavinyl, Ash76, JP Christian and 2 others like this.
  7. paolo

paolo Senior Member

That UK price is ridiculous. AU$42 here, $38 for non gatefold albums. That's around twenty of your notes :)

Gavinyl likes this.
  8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Madness. My heart goes out to our UK brothers and sisters.

Gavinyl, melo85, Millington and 2 others like this.
  9. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

MMT the album is the global standard since 1987 and I guess that's that. Though if this was how APPLE sees it... I think they should have at least duplicated the tracks on Past Masters and Mono Masters. That major gap between Rain and Lady Madonna is truly unforgivable even though the Masters albums are not supposed to be a greatest hits collection like 62-70 but to not have songs like Please Please Me .. the mono Help and Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane and All You Need is Love in the running order is a mistake in my opinion. I'm glad they did something different with the Yellow Submarine tracks though.

ParloFax likes this.
  10. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

According to the Wall Street Journal, 2,300 copies of the box set have sold. That sounds way low to me.

11. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

That's just on Wall street.

Vinyl_Blues, crispi, Ash76 and 3 others like this.
  12. brettb33

brettb33 Forum Resident

It's a $300+ set of vinyl records in a format that most people think is antiquated. It's the very definition of a niche item.

Ash76, mikrt17 and chacha like this.
  13. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

No other foreign language works. The only mono singles not on the 3LP set are songs that are on other albums, such as A Hard Day's Night and Please Please Me.

Wally Swift likes this.
  14. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

None as adding VAT to regular North American prices still doesn't add up to anything like that and I am refusing to pay it so my orders with with Dodox, Marvellio and All Your Music.

15. ShallowMemory

I see MMT in the context of this set as the missing Third disc from Mono Masters having the EP exclusive tracks (as was) and the 45's.

16. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

So we're up to part 14?

I'm a relatively new member, how does this rate in the 'threads with most parts/posts' chart?

This thread has dominated my daily life - saying that, it has been worth it, and even if the cost of the LPs/box comes down, I still think £275 was money well spent!

17. ShallowMemory

Buying these albums boxed or separate is something that will give a lifetime of enjoyment.

18. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

The American MMT album was so commonly imported into the UK that in 1976, it got an official Parlophone release, PCTC 255, in stereo, using Capitol's version, right down to the crappy duophonic mixes of some songs. At some point, perhaps at that time, there was a yellow vinyl version on Parlophone as well.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=PCT...PUiwLXtIG4Bg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1280&bih=896

ShallowMemory likes this.
  19. ShallowMemory

There were more 2009 threads and the individual album ones!

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

No, no the small packages are drugs to help you believe the originals are better sounding. Its ok to throw them away.

Keith V likes this.
  21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It was the first US album I got NEARLY THREE QUID! in early 1968. Never got the 1976 Parlophone and just as well, as it was indeed a dub of a dub of 'electronically reprocessed for stereo' and must have sounded terrible.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  22. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

It does indeed sound terrible!

imarcq, Maidenpriest and nikh33 like this.
  23. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I ate them just before I played Sgt pepper. Cellophane taxis appeared on the shore.

gsmile, JP Christian, chacha and 5 others like this.
  24. slane

slane Forum Resident

Anyone who grew up with the 'Hey Jude' compilation is used to that 'gap'. I actually like the flow of Rain > LM.

quicksrt likes this.
  25. slane

slane Forum Resident

Not cellophane flowers or newspaper taxis? Must have been good then ;)

DavidFell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.