Beatles Mono VINYL box set (Part #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Sometimes I find them a bit bright, but lowering the VTA usually helps.

2. psus2h

psus2h Active Member

I've been piecing together a stereo collection of the EMI two box and Japanese AP reissues from the 70's and those sound brilliant.

My mono box is finally queued for shipping!! It's remarkable to think that these rival earlier pressings, especially after how much love the Japanese Mono reissues seem to have.

john lennonist likes this.
  3. psus2h

psus2h Active Member

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Man at C&A likes this.
  4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I don't exactly get the excitement over a record sleeve, albeit rare. The record inside is not near the best way to hear the songs.

5. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Ok this mono set kicks butt !! And I have now permanently loaded my DL110 at 1K (should’ve done this a long time ago ) and not only does my mono set kick butt but everything else I listen to has improved as well. I never knew the mono Beatles sounded this good. Amazing vocals , mids bass highs etc. and even tho it’s mono sounds almost 3D at times !! Amazing what they can do with these old master tapes!

6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Wait until you hear "Nowhere Man". When the music kicks in you can hear the space of the room. Incredible.

MikeJedi likes this.
  7. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Just received this set and have been cleaning the LPs. I know that the inner sleeves are white except for the white album and mono masters but I seem to have one
    white inner sleeve that is different. Poly lined but without a circle cut on one side to read the label. I think it may have come from MMT. Is this normal or have I mixed
    inner sleeves somewhere ?

Also wanted to ask what most people did with the plastic sleeves. They seem annoying to access the LPs. Did you replace them ? My plastic sleeves are too wide for the box.
    Did you keep LPs and the foam in the box ? Seems a bit tight to me ?

DK Pete likes this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's how MMT comes in the mono box. I don't know why. I don't know what the original US inner looked like though.

I didn't keep the foam in the box and replaced the plastic outer covers with better quality ones that don't stick down.

timnor likes this.
  9. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

I pulled out the book; that helped with spacing.

timnor likes this.
  10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I replaced the outers with my normal outers including an oversized one for mono masters

I keep my box in the close in a meeting and the LPs on my shelf. I listen to them enough that I don’t want to keep opening the box.

Derek Slazenger and aoxomoxoa like this.
  11. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Sorry if this has been answered before, but are there bootlegs of the vinyl set out there? How to tell if you have one?

12. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I think it does sound '3D' but vertically! :)

13. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

If there are it's not common knowledge. CDs yes. LPs unlikely :)

john lennonist likes this.
  14. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

15. psus2h

psus2h Active Member

Has anyone seen these pop up anywhere else? I work close to Capitol Records and am tempted to walk over to see if they have any, but they'll probably look at me like I'm nuts.

16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Is it even considered a Capitol release?

17. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Well I guess it's all Universal in the end, through Calderstone.

18. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The plastic re-sealable sleeves are nice but extremely inconvenient; also, if you're not careful pulling the album out, the sticky flap can grab onto the album cover and then you have to be super careful peeling it off as to not damage the cover. I threw them out and replaced them with "regular" outer sleeves which happen to fit into the box perfectly. If the ones you have are oversized, try bags unlimited.

Fender Relic likes this.
  20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

When I get resealable plastic sleeves like this I'll take the album (or CD) out -- carefully! -- re-seal the sleeve and then slice the top seam off with a razor blade. Then you still have the original sleeve, but it's just an open end/top and you can slip the LP/CD in and out with no worries about glue.

21. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

The original mono U.S. MMT came in a plain white inner sleeve. It was the first album I ever bought, back when they were discounting them when mono was phased out.

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..too late for me now (unless I get new resealable sleeves) but that's actually a pretty good idea.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  23. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Hello,

I'm new to these mono box set discussions. I knew The Beatles were very popular here at SH forums, but 16 threads about this vinyl set, WOW, that's a lot of info and dedication! It may sound odd, but I'm just a casual Beatles fan, all I have is the red and blue albums and a gorgeous original Dutch stereo pressing of Sgt. Pepper's. I find the stereo versions of a lot of their hits quite jarring to listen to though, so that's why I'm here.

Perhaps a little crazy for a casual fan like me, but I actually just bought the mono vinyl box set (now that it's still available for less than 500-1000 euros...), and I just want to know: is there some sort of concensus in all of these threads on just how essential/definitive this set is? Will I be in for a treat or should I cancel my purchase now that I still can? And what about the stereo set, worthwhile picking up on CD to compliment the mono vinyl set?

Kind regards,

Martijn

Echoes Myron likes this.
  24. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

DO NOT CANCEL.
    It is worth it...

(How much did you pay for it) ?

Clonesteak and DBMartin like this.
  25. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Thanks! (Haha good question: completely mint set for 430 euros including shipping, not too bad I hope, right?)

mrgroove01 and Echoes Myron like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.