Beatles music videos

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Haristar, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

This is a topic that I don't see mentioned here all that much - Beatles music videos. The Beatles were some of the pioneers in the subject of music videos.

One of my favourites is "You're Gonna Lose That Girl" from the Help! film. I love the lighting and the way it's all arranged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Then there was the video for the recording of Taxman:

somnar, musicfan37, Lownote30 and 2 others like this.
  3. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

You’re Gonna Lose That Girl is one of my favorites also... another favorite is Revolution.

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

The Help! movie has all their best music videos. Gorgeous, color-plated, wide screen, wonderfully staged performances.

After that, the 'Rain' and 'Paperback Writer' promos filmed at Chiswick House.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

"I Am The Walrus" video for the win!

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The "You're Gonna Lose That Girl" "music video" from Help! was one of the first times I remember ever seeing The Beatles when I was like six in the mid-80's and I loved the video and the ending bit (oh, and the song, too!). :)

hutlock likes this.
  7. Haristar

Another of my favourites is "Hello Goodbye"... I like how jolly they all seem (even George!).

8. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

How about a whole lotta love.

Tanx and WahWahHoWah like this.
  9. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Is the live recording of All You Need Is Love from the Our World telecast the version that is on the record?

10. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

They re-recorded the intro after the broadcast but it's essentially the same recording.

cboldman likes this.
  11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I know it's not technically a music video but it's hard not to look at the "Ticket to Ride" sequence from Help! and see MTV in the future.

geo50000 likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

there isn't any I do not like. : )

13. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I'm just glad they made a great Hey Bulldog video out of their filming the session. It's much better than trying to make it fit Lady Madonna. Pretty much tied as my favorite along with Revolution.

musicfan37, ted321, Haristar and 2 others like this.
  14. Shaddam IV

Yeah for me the thrill of this was actually seeing and hearing the Beatles recording and singing the sounds on a record I'd heard a million times.

It's not the only visual record of something like that, but it was the first I'd seen.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  15. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:righton: Hello Goodbye is easily my dog’s fave Beatles video.
    [​IMG]

16. Haristar

I find it difficult to watch the Lady Madonna video now. I always can't help but think that the footage better suits Hey Bulldog.

I wish more footage was shot of George playing the guitar solo though.

EDIT: Unfortunately there's also a couple of dodgy edits in the shot at 2:15.

17. Shaddam IV

It does. Literally!

Haristar likes this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I was only a Beatles fan for a few years when they released that video to promote the Yellow Submarine Songbook CD and I thought "Wow! That's really cool that they could do that and re-edit the footage back to song it was recorded from". :)

19. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

When this version of Revolution showed up on the 1+ collection, it was pointed out that George says something to Paul just about 10 seconds in. It sparked a long conversation about what he said, with some claiming he says "John smells like sh_t". I figure it's something more tame like "John's mic. is sh_te".
    I really like most of the Beatles promos, and as another poster pointed out, many would have been right at home on MTV. If I had to pick a few favorites, I'd go with Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, and I Am The Walrus. Never mind... I can't pick just a few favorites.

oboogie likes this.
  20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Any of the rooftop performances.
    Great to see the band performing live, and not miming to any songs or using a backing tape.

jtiner and oboogie like this.
  21. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

Good call...

22. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

One more from the rooftop.

23. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

24. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

This is my favorite- EXCEPT the extreme closeups! I yell at the TV, "Michael! Back up a little, huh??!"

25. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I think that in this case the extreme close-ups add a lot of intensity to the video. They really compliment the confrontational nature of the lyrics; visually and lyrically the song (and Lennon) are in your face, challenging you with every line. Just about a perfect video, if you ask me.

applebonkerz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.