Beatles "Pepper" Mono CD: 2009 or 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gss, May 22, 2017.

1. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

You just have to look at the press release for all the various incarnations of the 50th anniversary set.

2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I saw nothing that said the mono mix was being released again, only that a new mono capture was the source for the stereo remix.

3. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

It seems to me that the biggest difference is that the 2017 Mono CD will have bonus tracks tacked on at the end.

gss likes this.
  4. gss

gss Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, it will be great to have the other mono goodies attached.
    • Direct transfers of the album’s original mono mix and the “Strawberry Fields Forever” and “Penny Lane” singles
    • Capitol Records’ U.S. promotional mono single mix of “Penny Lane”
    • Previously unreleased early mono mixes of “She’s Leaving Home,” “A Day In The Life,” and “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds” (a mix thought to have been erased from a tape in 1967, but discovered during archive research for the anniversary edition)

5. gss

It's not $120 for a mono disc, it's $120.00 for the entire 6-disc box set.

6. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Let's not get CRAZY! :laugh:

Frank likes this.
  7. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

Did you look and not see the info you were looking for? Find the track list for the Deluxe Edition, Disc 4. It's the mono album plus a few mono extras.

8. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

The word used was "definitively" not "definitely". Some of us are trying to figure out just how "flat" or "direct" the new transfer will be, since the news surrounding the '09 Mono gave the impression that it was "flat", so is this one going to be any different? There are rumblings about the EQ being slightly different, but also that the '09 mono may have been more "fixed" than previously thought. I certainly don't know. Only people who have heard the master tape will be able to say if it's "flatter" or not than the '09. That was @dkmonroe 's point, and it's a correct statement.

zobalob, dkmonroe and SinnerSaint like this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

It's $120 for the mono disc, and they throw in the other 5 discs!!! There is no other way to buy it.

tedhead, Turmatic, scocs and 2 others like this.
  10. gss

It seems that most people are buying the set for the ephemeral goodies and the stereo disc. The mono isn't getting a ton of press, hence the creation of this thread.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  11. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I'm a Pepper too

Bingo Bongo and 4_everyman like this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

You write this everywhere, do you? :p

13. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Lol I was trying to bump every recent 50th anniversary Pepper thread so that that they might all make the front page on top of each other.
    But the forum moves to quickly :laugh:

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    andrewskyDE likes this.
  14. I'll come back and vote when I get my 2017 copy later this week.

15. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

It's really strange how they seem to guard the mono mixes they only seem to be available in expensive box sets,. why are they not available as stand alone CD's all seems very odd to me or is it a marketing ploy to get people to buy the expensive sets.

tedhead, 905 and sathvyre like this.
  16. gss

I thought the 2014 mono vinyl releases were available separately, but I guess you're right.

17. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

They were for a very short time but they are not exactly visible in the stores but the stereo's are everywhere.

Rickchick likes this.
  18. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

The better one would be the one that will go out of print first - the out of print CD's are always better that those easily available. So it's still too early to chose.

hutchguv, Gothik, Radio and 1 other person like this.
  19. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Or

I think a "no", I mean a "yes".

20. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Thanks for this. I've been looking for that article that set out the process for the last couple of weeks and couldn't find it. The funny thing is that, while I was (re)reading it, I was liking everything they said they were doing. And yet, I still prefer the sound of the original CDs.

Dinstun likes this.
  21. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

The the 2017 mono version isn't out yet. Why have a poll now?

22. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I would have voted for the 2067 100th anniversary mono mix by Dexter Giles if you had included it in the poll. Best version ever.

23. gss

It's not out officially, but some forum members here have gotten early copies already. We are in the calm before the storm.

24. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I've seen both the vinyl and CD mono albums sold separately. Could be that some retailers open up the box sets.

25. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

All of the vinyl mono albums are available separately but they seem to fluctuate in terms of availability. No shop would open a box set to sell the contents separately because the mono boxes come with an exclusive book and while they will probably press more seperate mono copies I don't know if they will press more box sets. The Mighty ape is currently selling the Stereo box for a little over $1000.