Beatles Private Tour Presented As A Contest

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by britt2001b, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member Thread Starter

No. I can see that I possibly could have you guys stumped on this one. So I'll break my rule and add a hint.

Picture #16a (This room is next door):

[​IMG]

2. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

I don’t know a lot of the answers right off, but I love this thread. Very neat to see a lot of these landmarks in their current states. Thanks to the OP for sharing.

3. britt2001b

Ok, while we're still waiting for a winner on Picture #16, I'll post another picture that I took on this tour. It will complement your reply.

While in the taxi, our guide suddenly stopped in the middle of an intersection and asked if we recognized the view. After about 10 seconds I did and my jaw dropped! Although it's not Beatle related it will give a thrill! Does this look familiar to you?

Picture #18:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Fullbug likes this.
  4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

whats the story morning glory?

5. britt2001b

Yes! 23 years later. This is Berwick street in the heart of Soho.

6. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Great thread, thank you so much for sharing.

longdist01 and britt2001b like this.
  7. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Ha I finally got one! Great thread

britt2001b and Miller92473 like this.
  8. britt2001b

Congratulations! I did not intend to use this picture as part of the contest, but since you guys are enjoying the pictures so much I'll number it as Picture 18. I guess you can say it's Beatle related since Oasis was highly influenced by The Beatles and recorded in Abbey Road studios. .......Still waiting on #16.

9. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Rings evicted Hendrix after he painted the apartment black inside, and Jimi had also been cited several times for excessive noise

britt2001b likes this.
  10. britt2001b

Thanks! Found a picture of Jimi at that residence:

[​IMG]

Fullbug, jlf, musicfan37 and 2 others like this.
  11. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

In one way I agree with your disdain of what has become such a important location in the context of Beatles history. But for people who make the trek to London to visit sites like these -- the OP as a prime example -- having it a very public shop now I see as a real gift for Beatle-fan tourists. Not only can you now go in the front door to see, you can freely walk around to different rooms in the building. You can take photos. Now imagine the access you wouldn't have if that same building had become a private office building, maybe a law firm or something similar instead. Even though I've never been to London, if I did I would be thrilled to no end at actually being able to go in the old Apple office building to look around.

12. And stuff changes in 50 years. Pretty much everywhere.

longdist01 likes this.
  13. britt2001b

That's a true point! Our guide told us to go in, look around and take pictures. I was tempted to have my family pose as shoppers while I sneaked upstairs to the roof but I didn't have the courage or time.

Miller92473 likes this.
  14. britt2001b

15. britt2001b

16. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Picture 16s -- John & Mick's jail cells that Pilcher put them in.
    (yes, I cheated by watching your family video) :shh:

So, what have they turned that jail into now?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  17. britt2001b

Yes!!! Finally!! No penalty for cheating. I think this one needed a push anyway. This location is what was once the Great Marlborough Street Magistrates Court where John was detained after his arrest. It is now the Courthouse Hotel with a restaurant & bar. You can actually be served food & drink in the cells. Mick was detained here after an arrest also.

Although our guide did say John was arrested for the drug offense and brought here by Sgt. Norman Pilcher (or perhaps I got it confused with the guide's explanation of the Montague arrest) , but I believe he was detained and tried before this court for exhibiting sexually explicit material in a London art gallery. The Indica?

18. funkydrummer

funkydrummer Forum Resident

Yes - an excellent point - the many times I have been to Savile Row, I've never been able to go inside, so that is indeed a benefit. I guess the point I was making was culture then/culture now. Vital creativity verses overpriced commodities knocked out in a sweat shop. I guess that is why I've always been mentally in the 60s.

britt2001b likes this.
  19. britt2001b

Picture #19 ....... (Ok, for this one I've added a new rule. If you've viewed the video documentation of this tour you will know the location of this picture and you are not allowed to post the answer but feel free to post a comment, just not the location. I apologize for unknowingly providing a way to identify the locations. Just trying to keep it fair for the fun!)

This one could be tough. Even our guide was not aware of this until I pointed it out to him. He told me that he was going to use it on all his future tours.

[​IMG]

20. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Didn't the Apple group Grapefruit do a promo film there, directed by Paul?

britt2001b and Mal like this.
  21. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Isn't this right across from Royal Albert Hall?

The RAH has a lot of significance for Fab4...

britt2001b likes this.
  22. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

The location of Beatles for Sale cover shots?

britt2001b likes this.
  23. britt2001b

Not sure, but this is not what I was looking for.

24. britt2001b

It is and the Royal Albert Hall does have significance for The Beatles, but still not what I'm looking for.

25. britt2001b

Wow!! I did not think anyone would identify this that fast! Forum members here are indeed quite Beatle intelligent!!
    This is a photo of the entrance to Hyde Park directly across the street from Royal Albert Hall where Robert Freeman took the shots for the cover of Beatles For Sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.