Beatles record in a USA Studio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iDigital

iDigital Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi All, Apparently, during a USA tour by The Beatles, prior to 1966, they entered a USA recording studio to record, does anyone here know anything about it ? did they do any recording ? if so, what happened to the tapes ?

2. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

I read that they wanted to record in Memphis at STAX, but this did not happen.

Bern and somnar like this.
  3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

A post of mine from eight years ago:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

The Beatles never recorded in a studio in the US.

crispi, rediffusion and DrBeatle like this.
  5. iDigital

Are you sure ? as I just watched a Beatles press conference from 1966 in Los Angeles and the female reporter ask's Paul if they had recorded anything in the US and if not will they ? Paul say's that they did on their last US tour record, but they got into trouble, so, probably not this time

joshm2286 likes this.
  6. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

no..never happened..

7. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

the furtherest away they ever recorded was Paris, France, early '64, for the german renditions of she loves yu and i want to hold your hand..( and can't buy me love partiallly)..and of course,. the hamburg germany '61 and '62 recordings under bert's production...brian went there....trying....but.....didn't happen...now....having said that...live-ness?..there's shea..and hollywood bowl..officially anyway....and of course the solo years....

8. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I think I remember coming across some tidbit somewhere about Stax also. Didn't The Yardbirds record I'm A Man and The Train Kept A Rollin' there? Or somewhere else?

9. iDigital

Again, Paul say's that they did, check out the Los Angeles Press Conference in 1966 on youtube

Frank likes this.
  10. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

no...they never did..brian went over there, early '66, but..turned into more publicity than they/he wanted. yet it made the local newspapers there..as if..it was gonna happen....would have been interesting to hear perhaps...yet..EMI ..was a perfect/great studio for them to be associated with......

11. iDigital

Again, Paul say's that they did record there in the interview and that they got into trouble for it !

Frank likes this.
  12. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Did all of the solo Beatles record in the US? I know John and Paul did.

13. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

George's Dark Horse and Extra Texture (Read All About It) were partially recorded in LA at A&M Studios (now called Henson Recording Studios).

Ringo recorded most of his stuff in the US. At least in the 70s.

14. downer

downer Senior Member

Well, technically, they did record some stuff in the US...

[​IMG]

dangiedr, 3Dman, Rfreeman and 19 others like this.
  15. I don't know man; the US studios were generally miles better than the UK/Europe counterparts, or at the very least the philosophy behind recording small ensembles. Then again, the British tried to emulate many of the American studios, only to fall short, of course. Take EMI, which was cavernous and great for recording classical, but on a ground level, pop acts were not getting the same punch until the stuffed coats loosened their ties there.

The Beach Boys and Presley recordings in that era was near audiophile quality compared to the Beatles.

I love the concept of the Beatles recording at Sun with George Martin. It would have sparkled.

16. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

I actually had a dream about this once.

They stopped in the middle of the night at a tiny recording studio in the hills of southern West Virginia in between tour stops of Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. They wanted to record in the same studio one of their favorite 50s hillbilly/rockabilly songs was recorded in. They recorded two songs. Both tapes are still in the closet of the elderly widow of one the studio owners.

I made that lsst paragraph up. I did have the dream though.

17. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

AGAIN it didn't happen.

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Wish they'd cut some tracks at Chess!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  19. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

All these years Paul had been criticized for saying the wrong thing, changing history, remember things wrong, etc. and now all of a sudden his word his gold? It’s been well documented for over 50 years the Beatles did not record in the US, period.

Next topic: Ringo remembers taking cans of Heinz beans to India because he didn’t and couldn’t eat the food. In a press conference Paul said Ringo took a cooler of frozen Jolly Green Giant peas because Ringo stubbed his toe. So which brand was it, Paul said it was Jolly Great Giant peas. I think Ringo actually took Bush’s baked beans, but it could have been Del Monte green beans.

20. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Paul was likely referring to the recording made at The Hollywood Bowl or Capitol's desire to record the 2-12-64 Carnegie Hall show (they did not record it). The Beatles did not record music in a US recording studio.

Jimbo62 and andrewskyDE like this.
  21. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

The Yardies cut I'm a Man at Chess in Chicago... they also did Shapes of Things there... they did Train with Sam Phillips in Memphis at his new digs, not Sun... also cut Mister, You're a Better Man Than I there... finished the vox on Train with Roy Halee at Columbia in NYC... Relf had been too drunk to do 'em in Memphis

vanhooserd likes this.
  22. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Sun was long gone by the time the Fabs came to the US... Sam Phillips had moved to new digs in 1960... Phillips Recordings... woulda been interesting if Sam had produced em for an EP of Carl Perkins etc. covers...

23. They never recorded in a US studio. Just live Hollywood Bowl.

24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Correct, The Beatles were seriously considering recording the album that became Revolver at Stax, with Steve Cropper producing, to the point of sending Brian Epstein to Memphis to make the deal. They put the kibosh on the idea when they realized that Stax was planning on overcharging them for the studio time because they were The Beatles. George Martin and EMI apparently weren't even aware of this plan; at the time The Beatles were that fed up with what they perceived as the limitations of Abbey Road Studios.

25. Lucretius

Lucretius Forum Resident

It's amusing that they chose Stax as the place as an upgrade from EMI. Tom Dowd had fixed the place up only a short time prior to this.

Would EMI have allowed it? Decca allowed the Stones to record anywhere they wanted, so I'm guessing they would have caved to the Beatles' demands.

Aftermath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.